What has been the peak of your Lakers experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Game 7 Portland. The Kobe to Shaq alley oop
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I was too young to truly appreciate Magic and showtime.

I was 8 years old when we beat the Celtics in 85. Then 10 years old when we began the back to back slap vs the Celtics/Bad Boys.

I thought we were gonna win every year, it was great (Same with the Raiders in 84 when Marcus had the greatest run in SB history en route to a Redskins 38-9 whipping).

Twelve years of wondering wtf has happened to my Lakers. That 12 year stretch began with the HIV thing with Maj, that CRUSHED me at the time! Freshman in HS and devastated.

That and Bo Jackson's career ending hip shatter, were the worst days of my sports fandom life. Followed closely by the Ralph Sampson vollyball catch and throw buzzer beater, and of course the Tuck Rule travesty(Dodgers are trying very hard ATM to enter this list btw).

From age 16 to 26, my Lakers were ring-less. An unprecedented lapse of chips in the teams history was happening at such an impressionable age for me. I remember Bulls bandwagon fans in high school ripping me a new one when they took it to us in the finals. Wow, was I hurt, and pissed!

At that age you really take L's hard!

We were terrible for a few years, and even missed the playoffs for the first time in a ridiculously long time (almost 20 years I wanna say).

One of the reasons I will forever be endeared to that VanExel/Eddie Jones/AP/Ced/Elden/Vlade teams is the timing of it all. It was fresh, new, fun, and sorely needed at the time.

So to cut an already super long story short, for me at least, after waiting from age 12 to 24 for the Lakers to finally do what I thought they were gonna do every single season I watched Chick and Stu call their games, they finally won it all.

Game 7 vs the Portland Trailblazers, B-shaw's bank 3, Kobe's ally oop to Shaq, that's the peak of my Lakers experience.

I've never been that nervous in a game in my entire life, and pissed, I new we had one run in us and it took forever for us to get on it.

Defense tightened up, shots started going in and the crowd was feeding the team energy I have yet to see matched!

I was so nervous in the 4th quarter I went for a drive all by myself while recording it on VHS.

I couldn't believe what I heard on the radio as I drove the freeways of OC!

I'll never forget what Chicky baby's call was.

Quote:
"Portland, can put away the champagne, and open up the bottled water because that's all they're gonna be drinking on their flight back home."

I knew that deep down we won the chip that late afternoon!

Indiana while being a good team, was not as good as that GD Portland team, who I would put up there with the Weber/Bibby/Vlade/Peja/Hedo Sac Kings as the best team in history not to play in the finals!

Last edited by MAJIC on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

in recent years:

1) firing dantoni
2) keeping our 2015, 2016, and 2017 picks
3) screwing the sixers and suns by keeping our picks

overall: much of what others have said already.

i'll throw one in from my youth: Van Exel buzzer beater in the playoffs against the Spurs.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
epak wrote:
When the Lakers won the Summer League.

Since 2010? Sadly, that's probably accurate.

Umm, you might be forgetting a game..
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

The enthusiasm peaked for me with the '87 championship win, a real high and a real squeaker. Nothing before equaled that feel of pride, and nothing since has come close to that level of intensity. I think that the game's evolution towards heavy dependence on the three point shot and its having been plagued with the tediously artificial, relentless game-end clock management moves together have served to reduce the excitement for me.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

All of this is really good stuff guys. Thanks for sharing. My favors has to be Kobes last game. Dropping 60 on the Jazz. So poetic. A star is born with 3 air balls against the Jazz. A star fades with 60 on same Jazz. After twenty years of hard hard work.

Honorable mention, NVE buzzer 3 on the Celtics in the last game ever at the Boston Garden. Also very poetic.

Some of these are almost story book and unreal.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

R-Tistic wrote:
nash wrote:
Western Conference game 7 against Portland.

I can't explain why, but I knew the victory was going to be ours, just a strong feeling.

I remember legit praying at the start of the 4th quarter, and said "God, if we come back in this game, I'll NEVER ask you to help my team, again."

It was magical. It was the start of an entire decade of legendary games and seasons for us.

I think this is probably it for me, as well... though game 7 in the last run vs. Celtics and finally knocking off the Celtics in the 80s were both amazing, as well. But you had seen that Lakers team play well and then lose badly in the playoffs for several straight years. They had one of the great regular season runs and then suddenly found themselves on the verge of defeat (against a very good Portland team) and couldn't help but think they were going to come up short again. Then that fourth quarter comeback, once they got over that hump you knew they were going to be tough to beat for the next few years.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

The very FIRST TITLE in L.A. was arguably the biggest deal --- After living through all the near misses starting with the 4-3 NBA finals loss to Boston in 1961-62 a streak that included 7 NBA finals losses 4 of those 7 Championship games going all 7 games that included 6 total losses to Boston.

Second to the first L.A. Championship would be the first finals victory over Boston in '87 for the NBA Title after the LA Lakers had lost to Boston a total of 7 straight times in the finals since moving to L.A. and for the record 8th straight NBA title series loss in Lakers history against Boston.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's final game
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Game 7 comeback against Portland in 2000, cheering the Lakers on with a date and a bunch of strangers at a restaurant bar.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Every game Magic played. He was the most fun player to watch ever.

Edit: I have to add a special call out to the 33 game win steak. We had season tickets a few rows from the floor and I was at every home game. It was an awesome run.

Last edited by Startrout on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Game 7 comeback against Portland in 2000, cheering the Lakers on with a date and a bunch of strangers at a restaurant bar.

I already gave my favorites, and this was one of them, but I want to further describe my experience. I was at the game, and we all had seen the Lakers seeming to fade vs. the Blazers, in the series, after being up 3-1. The sense of doom was building in the third as they went out to what I think was a 16 point lead late in the quarter.

So, first off, nothing beats a comeback, especially in a Game 7, when we haven't won a title in a long time, when everybody knows that whoever we face in the East is likely to be easier. Second, there was a Portland fan a few rows ahead of me, by himself, who at first was just wildly cheering and had made contact with a few other Portland fans in the stands, and started turning to those folks everytime they did something good. Never sat down, no matter what. Well, after the comeback and the game was basically over with a few seconds left, I remember exchanging high fives with all the Laker fans around me that I didn't know, and just going apesh*t with joy. So, I go running off to the restroom, and here's Mr. Portland fan, pacing back and forth, just shattered. I would have felt for the guy, except he'd been acting like a gloating jerk earlier, so it was just sweet seeing him suffer.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

Tho oop
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Western Conference game 7 against Portland.

I can't explain why, but I knew the victory was going to be ours, just a strong feeling.

I was hooping that day and had my worst ankle injury. My bud also blew out his ankle (had to go to the hospital) so we were sitting at the hospital room watching that game. Memories.

Random fun fact, but you reminded me of it. On that real ER trauma show Disc Health Channel has on permanent rerun, there was an epi in 2001 filmed at an LA area hospital the night LA closed out Philly. They showed the male staff watching it on the TV and hi-5ing during the final minute. Then they expected a rush of idiots who got hurt in the ensuing mischief. They called it because during a post gm celebration and/or arson/looting spree, a stan took a bullet to the schnoz. The kind of circumstance you'd have to see to believe it could actually happen. The bullet shaved off his nostril and half the point of his nose. The wound had a clean, sharp edge. Due to the crazy angle, I'm guessing he might've been standing on a car roof when he got shot. Any rate, there's a stan who most definitely had a bad night when the Lakers closed out. Hope it didn't ruin his memory of Fisher dropping 6 of 9 treys on shoulder-shrugging AI.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
Every game Magic played. He was the most fun player to watch ever.

Edit: I have to add a special call out to the 33 game win steak. We had season tickets a few rows from the floor and I was at every home game. It was an awesome run.
Yea, that 33 game streak was something special that will stand for a very long time for sure, Lakers finally lost to Jabbar and the Milwaukee Bucks as I remember....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Me being at Staples Center Game 4 2002 WCF against the Sacramento Kings when Robert Horry hit the game winner.

Also at Staples 2006 1st round game 4 against the Suns when Kobe hit the game winner in OT over Raja Bell.
chipotleattack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Going to Kobe's last game was simply amazing. I don't think any game will ever beat it for me. I get chills when I think about him getting hot in the 4th.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
1988 game 7 NBA finals against the Detroit Pistons. Lakers win their first back-to-back championships in Los Angeles. And that symbolized the end of the show time era.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

Game 7, when Kobe chases down the ball at the end with his fist in the air.

Also, have been fortunate enough to go to some classics in person:

Kobe at MSG scoring 61 and getting MVP chants from the NY crowd

Lakers vs Celtics on Christmas 2008, revenge game. One of the only Xmas games we have won.

Lakers @ Celtics in Feb 2009, first time back since the finals loss. OT thriller.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

Game 7 2010 when CMB dared a bunch of LGers to put their account on the line to root for the team.

!...
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Game 7 Portland. The Kobe to Shaq alley oop

This.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
Nice to see so many got the right answer... Horry for the Win. My neighbor literally called my house because I yelled so loud they thought it was a home invasion.
i wasnt even in front of the TV. a friend of mine was graduating from college. It was a ton of us going back and forth from our cars to the graduation. everyone asking "whats the score..whats the score?" Trying not to be too loud. Then that shot hit. someone yelled out from the parking lot. we heard them. the entire graduation went crazy. it got so bad the people in charge just announced it on the mic "for those who were wondering.. The lakers just wont on a robert horry shot at the last moment." People went crazy again. that was something special.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

1980: Magic playing a game for the ages and me having to watch it on a black and white TV.

1985: 1st Championship ever won @ Boston Garden. Cap with both arms in the air. Red walking off the court, fuming without lighting up a stogie.

2000: Shaq slamming down the lob from Kobe.

DFish .04 and his grin vs Orl.

Kobe's 81.

Pau's fierce yell and Artest's 3 in 2010.

Kobe's final game.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

- Kobe's GW against PHX in 2006 was epic. The raw (and ultra rare) emotion Kobe had during the celebration summarized the exhilaration of winning that kind of game. My dog had no clue what was going on. He saw me running and screaming around the house and just started running with me.

- Finally avenging those four, brutal years post Shaq through winning the title in 2009 felt incredibly gratifying. I wasn't around during the initial 3 peat (was only in elementary and hadn't become a close follower of the game yet). Felt great that Kobe had finally silenced the critics (and Shaq) who claimed he could never win without Shaq and be the best player on a championship team.

- Game 7 in 2010 will live forever. Slugfest from start to finish. Kobe's, "Got one more than Shaq" comment just made it even more legendary.

- Kobe's last game. Nuff said.

- SL this year and seeing how special Lonzo will be also makes the list for me, honestly. His play was that captivating.

Honorable mentions: Byron getting axed, Lakers upsetting HOU on Opening Night and Luke's first game, and the thrashing of GS, highlighted by Nance's dunk on David West.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

2009-2010 championships. Don't get me wrong the early 2000s were unforgettable. But to see all the drama play out over Kobes career? 2009 was the return to glory, 2010 was oh so sweet revenge and vindication.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: