Identity Theft Protection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Identity Theft Protection

In light of the Experian hack, I'm considering ID theft protection.

Due to the breach at Experian and how they handled it, I'm reluctant to trust their "free" ID protection.

Does anyone here have such protection? If so, which company do you use and how has the service been?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

LIFE LOCK.

Look no further. Literally saved my life 2 years ago. I put my stuff in storage and the lady in charge at the time asked for my Social Security number. The idiot that I am, I gave it to her. She turned around and opened 4 new accounts and started ordering stuff online. Life lock notified me right away, informed the credit card companies that it was fraud, and basically nipped it in the bud.

Had I not have Life lock I would've found out about this eventually but it would've been too late and a nightmare to fix.
I also made a special request (Anyone can) with each of the 3 credit bureaus that every time a credit inquiry or credit application is being filed in my name they contact me directly for authorization. This way no one can start new accounts in my name.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Remember when the CEO of Lifelock went on air and gave out his SS number....needless to say some scam artists tried to use his number.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

[quote="No. 17"]LIFE LOCK.

Look no further. Literally saved my life 2 years ago. I put my stuff in storage and the lady in charge at the time asked for my Social Security number. The idiot that I am, I gave it to her. She turned around and opened 4 new accounts and started ordering stuff online. Life lock notified me right away, informed the credit card companies that it was fraud, and basically nipped it in the bud.

Had I not have Life lock I would've found out about this eventually but it would've been too late and a nightmare to fix.
I also made a special request (Anyone can) with each of the 3 credit bureaus that every time a credit inquiry or credit application is being filed in my name they contact me directly for authorization. This way no one can start new accounts in my name.[quote]

So smart, thanks for the tip
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

No. 17 wrote:
LIFE LOCK.

I also made a special request (Anyone can) with each of the 3 credit bureaus that every time a credit inquiry or credit application is being filed in my name they contact me directly for authorization. This way no one can start new accounts in my name.

That's who I was considering. Thanks.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I don't have that now. I'm pretty sure I'm well tracked by the credit card companies and others. I know I'm giving up some of my privacy, but I don't care if it protects my damn money.

I have on my phone, my bank app and my credit cards app. I get notified for ever single charge that comes into affect. If they have location services, I turn it on. They collect the data. Heck, when I purchase airplane tickets, they know that there's a high chance that I won't be in other parts of the country. They also can check that I'm pretty damn close to where my credit card is being charged.

For other things, like full identity theft, create a case with the police. You will owe zilch, even to the debt collectors (happened to my wife). Tell everyone who contacts you and then point to the case #. But seriously, these days, with the chip on the card (that tech is almost 30 years old btw), not much moves.

Always have that buffer of credit cards (and not your debit card) to buffer criminals and you.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

Always have that buffer of credit cards (and not your debit card) to buffer criminals and you.

That is really good advice.

Also, if you are going to use a Debit Card, I would advise not having all your money in the world in your linked account.

Keep the bulk of your money elsewhere, use your checking account for paying bills.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
tlim wrote:

That is really good advice.

Also, if you are going to use a Debit Card, I would advise not having all your money in the world in your linked account.

Keep the bulk of your money elsewhere, use your checking account for paying bills.

I actually have protection on my debit card. I frequently get messages saying my card has been blocked until I verify the last 3 purchases when they think they see suspicious activity. It's usually fine and a simple text reply reopens the card. But there have ben a few occasions when there has been activity that wasn't me and the bank has immediately erased the charges and issues me a new card.

I'm more concerned about bigger fraud with large accounts taken out in my name.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Exactly, that is the fear that enables companies like LifeLock to make a lot of money.

I have a couple of friends that have LifeLock and they recommend it, I may have to look at it also.

You are right that the credit/debit cards have gotten better at flagging fraud at Point of Sale. I too get messages when there is a charge that is out of the norm, you just verify with a text message or whatever back and then it goes through so no doubt that protection has gotten better.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

you dont have to buy third party id protection stuff. Simply put your credit file on fraud alert with the 3 bureaus. This will red flag any creditor trying to open an account in your name where they should then do more levels of verification to make sure its really you opening an account.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Exactly, that is the fear that enables companies like LifeLock to make a lot of money.

I have a couple of friends that have LifeLock and they recommend it, I may have to look at it also.

You are right that the credit/debit cards have gotten better at flagging fraud at Point of Sale. I too get messages when there is a charge that is out of the norm, you just verify with a text message or whatever back and then it goes through so no doubt that protection has gotten better.

That has always been my previous reservations about such a service - paying for a service that may not be needed But now that such fraud has become more prolific and easier through hacks etc., it may be more like insurance than a service.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

Did Experian get hacked too??
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

I've heard of some folks recommending Zanders who have an identity theft insurance for like $7/mo.

Any have experience with them?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Did Experian get hacked too??

Nope. I got my company names mixed up.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

No. 17 wrote:

How?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

axs wrote:
No. 17 wrote:

How?

Contact all 3 credit bureaus and request a fraud alert. I think these last 90 days.
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I put a freeze on my credit last Feb, due to a breach at my health provider.

Equifax, Experian, Transunion. They charge $10 per. For CA residents. Although some have reported no fee from Equifax, due to the recent issue.

I also froze two others, Chexsystems and Innovis. These are what banks,etc use when you sign up for new accounts. They are free. They snail mail you a PIN to unlock , should you wish to unfreeze.

Let's be safe out there! Protect yo a--!
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
axs wrote:
No. 17 wrote:

How?

Contact all 3 credit bureaus and request a fraud alert. I think these last 90 days.

More than 90 days. I requested it 2 years ago and it still works.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

No. 17 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
axs wrote:
No. 17 wrote:

How?

More than 90 days. I requested it 2 years ago and it still works.

I think that's a credit freeze which is ongoing until you unfreeze and costs money. The fraud alert is free and lasts 90 days I think.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity Theft Protection

DaMuleRules wrote:
In light of the Experian hack, I'm considering ID theft protection.

Due to the breach at Experian and how they handled it, I'm reluctant to trust their "free" ID protection.

Does anyone here have such protection? If so, which company do you use and how has the service been?

Experian Fraud Alert https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/fraudalert.
It takes 2 minutes to fill out and it's free.

It's good for 90 days. You can have it on for 7 years if you file a police report for identity theft. Add your email and phone #. Whomever pulls your credit will see the alert and they have to call you to verify it's you who applied.

You don't need to contact all 3 bureaus. Experian sends Equifax & Transunion the requests automatically.

Do this every 3 months if you wish and you don't have to pay Lifelock or anyone else to do what you can yourself do in 2 minutes every 3 months.
It's better than any other protection service out there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: