Kobe Jersey Retirement: 12-18-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
The best part of Kobe getting both numbers retired is the saltiness of all his haters. Tastes great!

I'm drinking all the salty tears today.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
22 wrote:
The best part of Kobe getting both numbers retired is the saltiness of all his haters. Tastes great!

lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
22 wrote:

Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
So I get that we all love Kobe, but why are people paying $700 for a jersey retirement? You see him for 15 minutes where he's not playing and that's it.

Maybe I'm old and cheap but that doesn't compute to me.

I get the final game prices being absurd but this seems excessive.

Perhaps the prices may also have something to do with the team they're playing...

Perhaps not 10x face value, but Warriors games do fetch a pretty penny compared to face.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
So I get that we all love Kobe, but why are people paying $700 for a jersey retirement? You see him for 15 minutes where he's not playing and that's it.

Perhaps the prices may also have something to do with the team they're playing...

Perhaps not 10x face value, but Warriors games do fetch a pretty penny compared to face.

prices on secondary market have tripled since the TMZ report
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm assuming they give out a commemorative jersey or something for all in attendance which will be easy to sell for $100+ on ebay.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I'm assuming they give out a commemorative jersey or something for all in attendance which will be easy to sell for $100+ on ebay.

I should have gotten that game.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:

prices on secondary market have tripled since the TMZ report

I don't doubt it. I'm not suggesting that the announcement had nothing to do with the price increases. I'm merely stating that this happens to be a high-demand event for an already high-demand game. Nosebleed seats for this game without the retirement ceremony would easily be 3x-4x face value because it's the Warriors, who just happen to be the reigning champions.

It's true that there would be demand for attending this game regardless of the opponent. However I don't think as many people would be as willing to drop $700 on nosebleeds to watch the Hawks as they would be for the Warriors. We have to admit that it's not just Kobe/Laker fans looking to attend this game, but also Warrior fans who like/appreciate Kobe.
rebirthoftheM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I really don't get the grumpy response over retiring both. Some people sound like angry old man. There is no fixed procedure for this stuff.

Kobe's number selection is undoubtedly a unique situation. He had a HOF career in both jerseys on the same team, something you can't say for any other player.

Had MJ kept #45 and 3peated, he too would have deservedly got it retired.

I mean if you retire only #24, then the 3 peat/Shaq years/3 of his best seasons/81 are not included in it. And if you only retire #8, you ignore the repeat and Gasol years.

Neither number gives you close to a complete story about Kobe. When I see #8, certain visions come to me, and vice versa for #24. They do not merge to me. So why not retire both?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:

Thats the price of the secondary market. I assume people who are big time Kobe fans will show up for the game. Just like the same fans who flew from all over the US and overseas to see his last NBA game. So is there is an element of greed? Yep, but thats the free market isn't it?
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

It's funny that some people who have a problem with Kobe getting both numbers retired are also the same people who have had a problem with Jeanie/Magic/Pelinka and still throw tears over Dlo.

The hate is real.

Kobe was historically great with both numbers and has personally said that no one will touch 8 unless you can prove you can take it. So u less you're name is LeBron or Durant or of that variety, the number stood no chance of going on another jersey anyways. So what does it matter if we hang them both as a show of respect to the greatest Lakers of all time who literally gave his body to us as fans. It's embarrassing that any supposed "fan" would complain at us doing anything to honor The Mamba.
Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Kobe taking 2 numbers is the most kobe thing ever.

For this reason alone it seems right.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
So Kobe gets 2 jerseys in the rafters?
I don't blame the Lakers for retiring both jerseys. The one number that wasn't retired would've been a lot of burden for a player who takes up the number in the future. That is something no player can really live up to.

Both numbers are being retired per Ramona. No mention of multiple jerseys. It's unclear at this point.

Looks like it's 2 jerseys. Stay salty my friend.

LINK
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
It's funny that some people who have a problem with Kobe getting both numbers retired are also the same people who have had a problem with Jeanie/Magic/Pelinka and still throw tears over Dlo.

The hate is real.

Kobe was historically great with both numbers and has personally said that no one will touch 8 unless you can prove you can take it. So u less you're name is LeBron or Durant or of that variety, the number stood no chance of going on another jersey anyways. So what does it matter if we hang them both as a show of respect to the greatest Lakers of all time who literally gave his body to us as fans. It's embarrassing that any supposed "fan" would complain at us doing anything to honor The Mamba.

Lol at "hate". I didn't like putting up to jerseys for aesthetic reasons. It feels goofy to me. Obviously he deserves to have his jersey retired. I wouldn't let anyone wear either number again.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's going on the Wall.

Next stop, the Hall of Fame. The Wall is actually a more exclusive and meaningful honor.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

And I might be one of the fools who'll spend that $100 on it too
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Purely a PR move in terms of timing. Kobe is a first year Naismith shoo-in but still is a pre-HOF inductee. The Laker franchise is crawling back to respectability and has its team facing the league champions.

The decision to celebrate now is nonetheless completely appropriate. Kobe's name goes up there with the other greats. It's a good time to do it. Please, let's have Elgin and Jerry attend if at all possible.

You guys and gals who can attend, could you shout and stomp a little for me, willya ?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
rebirthoftheM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

The hate is real.

Lol at "hate". I didn't like putting up to jerseys for aesthetic reasons. It feels goofy to me. Obviously he deserves to have his jersey retired. I wouldn't let anyone wear either number again.

So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

When was there a fixed procedure to this thing? Everyone else got 1 jersey retired because they didn't have a HOF career, full of memories, in two jerseys on the same team. That's exclusively the domain of Kobe. Neither Magic nor Kareem or Jerry satisfied this.

Kobe's situation is undoubtedly unique. And it deserves a unique response. #8 and #24 are associated with radically different things to many. And if the purpose behind retiring a number is to honor said player for their contribution to the franchise, would it not be apt to honor said player by attempting to represent their story completely, not just half of it?

I don't find this at all to be gimmicky. It is an apt response to the unique nature of Kobe's career. Your username is a testament to why both numbers should be retired.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:

Fan sentiment is what sells sports otherwise why bother?

This is no different than what the Colts are doing with Manning when his jersey is going to be retired next month. I'm not going but if I was rich I would.

Usually when a team goes through all this its because the player changed the franchise forever/made a ton of $$$/ and the franchise in its current state is not that great something like this creates excitement.

Congrats to Kobe I'm surprised its this soon though.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Lucky I am going to that game!!
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
So Kobe gets 2 jerseys in the rafters?
I don't blame the Lakers for retiring both jerseys. The one number that wasn't retired would've been a lot of burden for a player who takes up the number in the future. That is something no player can really live up to.

Both numbers are being retired per Ramona. No mention of multiple jerseys. It's unclear at this point.

Looks like it's 2 jerseys. Stay salty my friend.

LINK

When LBJ coming to the Lakers wearing a new number, he could retire with two numbers too.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

It makes sense to function as if 8 is retired, but it doesn't make sense to actually retire it Makes sense!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
It makes sense to function as if 8 is retired, but it doesn't make sense to actually retire it Makes sense!

It almost requires abstract thought.
artoo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

It's a digital LED number on the jersey that changes between 8 and 24.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15
Jump to: