THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 575, 576, 577 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

After 8 years of Obama, there was a "whitelash." White America basically said, okay you had the black guy for 8 years, now we're giving the presidency back to a white male like it was before. Didn't matter that the most qualified woman went up against the least qualified man, white America said, we'll take the man.

That's the election in a nutshell. I'm not sure by 2020 that the same white America would be willing to vote for a 1) woman, 2) black woman, 3) non-white male.

I love Kamala Harris. I like Cory Booker. I like Oprah. But I'm skeptical the racists, er white working class, eh people suffering from "economic anxiety" are going to change their stripes that fast.

P.S. - Trump's most brilliant move (if it was his) was the "Make America Great Again" line because it subliminally communicated the above in four words.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
I don't think she would run but Oprah Winfrey would destroy Trump. Thats a woman I could vote for

Big of you.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

I hear you but O is a bigger star than trump could ever dream to be.

The media loves her, if you think the media talks a lot about trump wait until Oprah announces her candidacy. It would be a circus 24/7 coverage.

I think she would win the women's vote by the biggest margin you have ever seen.

Oprah/Nye ticket would end the election the day they announced

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
I don't think she would run but Oprah Winfrey would destroy Trump. Thats a woman I could vote for

Big of you.

I'm not here to impress you just telling it how I see it
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The V.P. of the United States in the year 2017:

[url=http://dailybes.com/mike-pence-allowing-sexual assault-victims-abortions-will-lead-women-trying-get-sexually assaulted/]Mike Pence: “Allowing sexual assault Victims To Have Abortions Will Lead To Women Trying To Get sexually assaulted”[/url]

But there is definitely no misogyny or sexism in America, and we definitely shouldn't talk about it, and women in particular should shut the hell up, and especially the previously most admired woman in the world who spent a life time on helping girls and women. Nope, she should definitely keep her mouth closed too.

To think he had a mother who instilled this in him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

[url=http://dailybes.com/mike-pence-allowing-sexual assault-victims-abortions-will-lead-women-trying-get-sexually assaulted/]Mike Pence: “Allowing sexual assault Victims To Have Abortions Will Lead To Women Trying To Get sexually assaulted”[/url]

But there is definitely no misogyny or sexism in America, and we definitely shouldn't talk about it, and women in particular should shut the hell up, and especially the previously most admired woman in the world who spent a life time on helping girls and women. Nope, she should definitely keep her mouth closed too.

Quote:
“And it gets worse – when you get an abortion, you get several days off of work and whatnot to recover. And there are a lot of crazy people out there. What if women would go out and get raped on purpose just so they could get off work? I mean, Indiana’s economy is struggling as it is, and having thousands of women absent from their jobs would be horrific for the state, I’m telling you. I made the right call and that will be confirmed in the long run,” Pence concluded.

Yeah, when I feel like a few days off I would definitely try to get raped and then have an abortion. Nothing says rest and relaxation better than rape and an abortion. I'll tell all my girlfriends to do it too so we can ruin the economy, 'cause we are just crazy, evil women.
From our Vice President folks.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

WTF is wrong with Pence?? Damn.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

To think he had a mother who instilled this in him.

Are you talking about his wife, who he calls mother, or his actual mother?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
After 8 years of Obama, there was a "whitelash." White America basically said, okay you had the black guy for 8 years, now we're giving the presidency back to a white male like it was before. Didn't matter that the most qualified woman went up against the least qualified man, white America said, we'll take the man.

That's the election in a nutshell. I'm not sure by 2020 that the same white America would be willing to vote for a 1) woman, 2) black woman, 3) non-white male.

I love Kamala Harris. I like Cory Booker. I like Oprah. But I'm skeptical the racists, er white working class, eh people suffering from "economic anxiety" are going to change their stripes that fast.

P.S. - Trump's most brilliant move (if it was his) was the "Make America Great Again" line because it subliminally communicated the above in four words.

We're in concert concerning Kamala. I voted for her in her Senate race.

I'm not sure she's ready for the Big Leather Chair. Not because she's a woman, it's because I don't think she yet has enough experience. I want her to be one of the voices with clout in the new generation Democratic party.

I like Oprah also but I don't think she has enough political acumen.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
what the heck is wrong with Pence?? Damn.

He's as dangerous as Trump. While Trump's end game is to become richer through corrupt and shady deals, Pence's goal is to eliminate everyone who doesn't share his primitive Christian beliefs. Not unlike al-Baghdadi is he was christian.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

It looks like he never said that, according to politifact. That story (or non-story) is at least a year old.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

15 million Floridians without power right now. Wonder how frequent the hurricanes have to get before Florida voters consistently back the party that wants to proactively combat climate change? Every 6 months? Every 3?

After a point, it has to become a priority right?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
15 million Floridians without power right now. Wonder how frequent the hurricanes have to get before Florida voters consistently back the party that wants to proactively combat climate change? Every 6 months? Every 3?

After a point, it has to become a priority right?

You over-estimate the level of intelligence that the average Floridian has.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

It looks like he never said that, according to politifact. That story (or non-story) is at least a year old.

Thanks for checking, I put a note in my original post. His misogyny and sexism is apparent in other policies and other quotes. Will see if I can find something more recent.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
[Note: This is apparently an old story and quote may not be accurate.]

Here's a summary of Pence's policies on women's reproductive rights. Actions speak louder than words.

8 Outrageous Facts About Mike Pence's Record on Reproductive Rights
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

National: Top Russian Politician Boasts Russia ‘Stole’ 2016 Election For Donald Trump While U.S. Intelligence ‘Slept’ | Inquistr

LINK

Quote:
Vyacheslav Nikonov, a top Russian lawmaker and leading member of the United Russia Party led by President Vladimir Putin, made a startling boast in a television broadcast seen nationwide in Russia on Sunday night — admitting outright that Russia “stole” the 2016 United States presidential election for Donald Trump.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

^The concern is that, since Russia cannot be trusted, is an admission itself an attempt to manipulate us? Its hard to trust, for good or bad, what comes out of Russia. Hell, they could be telling the truth, but putting it out there in hopes someone asks the same question I am asking.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Cuban would be an unfortunate continuation of the, "you need to be a rich, narcissistic celebrity with no political know how to run" syndrome. We dont need another business guy with no idea how government actually works, much less one as temperamental and unpleasant behind the scenes as Cuban is reputed to be.

The Cubans of the world have a great shot at beating Trump. I want to win I dont want another moral victory because we stick to our principles while Trump is president for another term

I do like the Bill Nye/Degrasse idea if youre not Cuban fans. The point is there are so many good choices I hope we dont put up another dud from the congress.

Why the urge to run people with no known ability to do the job?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Cuban would be an unfortunate continuation of the, "you need to be a rich, narcissistic celebrity with no political know how to run" syndrome. We dont need another business guy with no idea how government actually works, much less one as temperamental and unpleasant behind the scenes as Cuban is reputed to be.

The Cubans of the world have a great shot at beating Trump. I want to win I dont want another moral victory because we stick to our principles while Trump is president for another term

I do like the Bill Nye/Degrasse idea if youre not Cuban fans. The point is there are so many good choices I hope we dont put up another dud from the congress.

I find the irony truly shocking that some people's reaction to seeing a reality TV star/Business person with absolutely no experience in public service or government screwing up the Presidency is to say, "you know what we need as an antidote to this madness? To run ANOTHER reality TV star/Business person with absolutely no experience in public service or government".

It's like saying, "I got really tired of seeing the same old dentists, so I changed things up and went to see this arrogant and shady housing contractor who said he did terrific work. But he (bleeped) my teeth up big time and screwed me on the billing. But I'm not going to take a chance on returning to a trained dentist again because I know another housing contractor who seems less shady than the first guy. So I'm going to go to him".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think there's different way to judge/evaluate a candidate's ability as a choice for US presidency outside of having done a governmental job. DeGrasse Tyson for example can be evaluated at how he managed to excel in academia, running a museum, conducting research, etc. I don't think you need to be a governor/mayor/congressman/senator at all to be a qualified candidate for the presidency. There might be a learning curve at the beginning which all presidents must go thru. It's not a one man job, it's a team job.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/news/economy/job-openings-record-high/index.html

- Job openings in the United States reached a record high in July at 6.17 million, according to Labor Department
- One of the White House's key arguments for ending DACA, is that young undocumented takes jobs away from young Americans
- 950,000 African Americans and 870,000 Hispanics in the same age group as DACA recipients were unemployed

(personally, DACA youths are Americans and that argument fall flat in the face of factual numbers of available jobs)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think there's different way to judge/evaluate a candidate's ability as a choice for US presidency outside of having done a governmental job. DeGrasse Tyson for example can be evaluated at how he managed to excel in academia, running a museum, conducting research, etc. I don't think you need to be a governor/mayor/congressman/senator at all to be a qualified candidate for the presidency. There might be a learning curve at the beginning which all presidents must go thru. It's not a one man job, it's a team job.

There certainly is a learning curve, but government and diplomacy and all that go with it are so far removed from business and entertainment and facilities management as to be completely foreign. A guy who is smart and friendly and earnest is nice, but asking degrasse Tyson to be the president is like saying a stand up comic should run a fortune five hundred corporation. It's ludicrous. This urge to despise professionalism in the most vital professional post on earth is staggering.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

Russia's global fox news doppelganger
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

At least 15 Democratic co-sponsors for Bernie's Medicare for All bill, including Franken, Booker, and Warren.

Yes, it's symbolic and it won't pass now, but the Dems have to maintain the momentum and make this the central issue in 2020.

And I'm so glad it's "Medicare for All" instead of the ineffective "Single Payer."
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

There certainly is a learning curve, but government and diplomacy and all that go with it are so far removed from business and entertainment and facilities management as to be completely foreign. A guy who is smart and friendly and earnest is nice, but asking degrasse Tyson to be the president is like saying a stand up comic should run a fortune five hundred corporation. It's ludicrous. This urge to despise professionalism in the most vital professional post on earth is staggering.

That's not to dismiss a non-politician getting into politics. It's just that there is no way in hell someone can go right to the top position and be expected to succeed. A more sane, competent and stable person would obviously do better than what we have now, but that's setting the bar for the toughest job on the planet painfully and dangerously low.

Want to talk about one of those folks running for congress or even senate? No problem. That happens all the time and some of them actually turn out well. If it doesn't, the damage is generally minimal or nonexistent.

Hell, Al Franken, a former standup comedian and SNL writer could probably win in a landslide if he ran in 2020, but he has a well established and respected track record as a senator on his list of qualifications.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 575, 576, 577 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 576 of 3663
Jump to: