Kobe Jersey Retirement: 12-18-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
It's funny that some people who have a problem with Kobe getting both numbers retired are also the same people who have had a problem with Jeanie/Magic/Pelinka and still throw tears over Dlo.

The hate is real.

Kobe was historically great with both numbers and has personally said that no one will touch 8 unless you can prove you can take it. So u less you're name is LeBron or Durant or of that variety, the number stood no chance of going on another jersey anyways. So what does it matter if we hang them both as a show of respect to the greatest Lakers of all time who literally gave his body to us as fans. It's embarrassing that any supposed "fan" would complain at us doing anything to honor The Mamba.

Lol at "hate". I didn't like putting up to jerseys for aesthetic reasons. It feels goofy to me. Obviously he deserves to have his jersey retired. I wouldn't let anyone wear either number again.

Hate may not have been the right word. And I wasn't really meaning to group you into that.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

artoo wrote:
It's a digital LED number on the jersey that changes between 8 and 24.

I hope it is just one jersey but anyway. Maybe they could make those numbers change like when you look at it from one angle and another number from a different angle.

Bye.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

This is a great signal to LeBron. See, the Lakers revere and honor their superstars!!
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't it be cool if we can get him suit up to play that day? Miss him dearly. Only right both 8 & 24 going to the rafter.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.

It can just be one jersey with two numbers on it you know....

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/411trp/infographic_comparing_the_careers_of_8_kobe_and/
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo

Yeah, I was thinking they would lift both jerseys to the rafters, but if they put 2 numbers on the same jersey that would probably work as well.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
what's wrong with retiring both:

#8:
3 titles
All-Rookie Second Team (1997)
Slam Dunk Contest Champion (1997)
Scoring Champion (2006)
Eight-time NBA All-Star
All-Star Game MVP (2002)
Four-time All-Defensive First Team
Two-time All-Defensive Second Team
Four-time All-NBA First Team
Two-time All-NBA Second Team
Two-time All-NBA Third Team

2 titles
Scoring Champion (2007)
Four-time NBA All-Star
Two-time All-Star Game MVP (2007, 2009)
NBA Most Valuable Player (2008)
Two-time NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (2009, 2010)

Can anybody argue either of those career doesn't deserve jersey retirement or HOF entrance by itself?

Thanks for compiling the list.

But I think you're mistaken on All Star appearances. There's no way he's only a 12x All Star
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
governator wrote:

#8:
3 titles
Scoring Champion (2006)
Eight-time NBA All-Star
All-Star Game MVP (2002)

2 titles
Scoring Champion (2007)
Four-time NBA All-Star

Can anybody argue either of those career doesn't deserve jersey retirement or HOF entrance by itself?

But I think you're mistaken on All Star appearances. There's no way he's only a 12x All Star

Yep,infact is a 18x
perry731
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

If not because Kobe had a 81pts game with No. 8, I would definitely think that No. 24 should be retired as Kobe got his MVP with it. Now it's a torn... and I support that both numbers should be retired.

Last edited by perry731 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

mixtim wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
governator wrote:

#8:
3 titles
Scoring Champion (2006)
Eight-time NBA All-Star
All-Star Game MVP (2002)

2 titles
Scoring Champion (2007)
Four-time NBA All-Star

Yep,infact is a 18x

He has been voted as starter all 18 times, has to be a. Record
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

It's almost as if he had two separate HoF careers wearing each jersey. They had to retire both. Congrats to Kob, gonna be a bitterwseet day, mostly sweet tho.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject:

“Once again, Lakers fans will celebrate our hero, and once again, our foes will envy the legendary Kobe Bryant,"

LOL LOL damn right!!! suck it haters!!!

What/who can upstage current champ playing in LA... La Mamba Negra!

Halftime ceremony, both teams gonna come out extra hard, big TV rating, Lakers win... book it!
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

Kobe won 3 championships wearing #8 and 2 championships wearing #24.

8, 8 and 8 equals 24

2 and 2 is 4

Coincidence? With Mamba thinking, maybe not.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.

This is some serious saltine fury. My God, talk about being full of yourself. Pomposity??? Really??
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

This is some serious saltine fury. My God, talk about being full of yourself. Pomposity??? Really??

It's straight up #GetOffMyLawn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

If any other player can have 10 years wearing each of his numbers and be successful, then I'd say sure let them retire both numbers. But I bet having a player like that would be hard to come by. An all star 18 out of 20 years. Multiple rings with both numbers. Considered the best player in the league while wearing both numbers.

20 years on one team is hard eniugh. Let's not make it seem like this is going to be common place.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
If any other player can have 10 years wearing each of his numbers and be successful, then I'd say sure let them retire both numbers. But I bet having a player like that would be hard to come by. An all star 18 out of 20 years. Multiple rings with both numbers. Considered the best player in the league while wearing both numbers.

20 years on one team is hard eniugh. Let's not make it seem like this is going to be common place.

Laughing at these usual suspects still not being able to frickin' deal. Being a hater is one thing. It happens. Trying to wrap your haterism in some faux-intellectual nonsense is just over-the-top silliness.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

It's a bit unusual, but hopefully they do a good job with it so that future generations won't be confused that 8 and 24 are in fact the same Bryant.

Then again, is this any more unusual than the bunch of numbers that the celtics have retired? They've got numbers for the owner, general manager, marginal players that happened to be around during their long title streak, a guy's nickname because he wanted future players to be able to use his number, that same number then used by a player and retired, and a guy that had one All-Star appearance but died some time after collapsing on the court. Shoot, they don't even display the jerseys. It's just a bunch of large bingo cards up in their rafters.

Last edited by LAkers 4 Life on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

Laughing at these usual suspects still not being able to frickin' deal.

Rich.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
epak wrote:

Laughing at these usual suspects still not being able to frickin' deal. Being a hater is one thing. It happens. Trying to wrap your haterism in some faux-intellectual nonsense is just over-the-top silliness.

To be fair, our fellow poster is referring to the aesthetics of it (without yet knowing what the final look will be). He's an artist. Can't fault that.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
epak wrote:

To be fair, our fellow poster is referring to the aesthetics of it (without yet knowing what the final look will be). He's an artist. Can't fault that.

You're a good person, epak. I like you. As for the aesthetics, I think they've probably been working on it for awhile. 2 numbers is definitely something that has to be figured out.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

I'll be there woot woot!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15
Jump to: