LA to host 2028 Olympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

From what I heard LA got some concessions from the IOC to host in 2028 instead of 2024. Those concessions includes payments to fund youth sports in LA. So I wouldn't be surprised if this Olympics make a profit as well, LA seems to win the Olympics after the IOC hits major trouble in getting cities to bid for the games resulting in a low cost Olympics instead of the high cost affairs you see in Sochi, Beijing or Rio.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Ocho, are there taxpayer costs that I am not aware of? Garcetti/Wasserman said that there will be ZERO dollars taken from taxpayers money.

I don't know any of the details of this particular plan, but there are usually public costs that get left out of the PR. For example, there will probably be a lot of overtime pay for police and other public workers. That's a lot less than the cost of the games themselves, but it's not inconsequential.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
Ocho, are there taxpayer costs that I am not aware of? Garcetti/Wasserman said that there will be ZERO dollars taken from taxpayers money.

I don't know any of the details of this particular plan, but there are usually public costs that get left out of the PR. For example, there will probably be a lot of overtime pay for police and other public workers. That's a lot less than the cost of the games themselves, but it's not inconsequential.

Yep. The idea that an Olympics could be put on without some money coming out of the city's tax funds is impossible for that very reason. The logistics of the day to day costs once the games are actually going on dictate such expenditures.

The sports fan in me likes the idea another LA games. I have very fond memories of going to the '84 games. I saw a lot of great events. But if the plans my wife and I have for getting out of LA go according to design, we'll be well established in our new digs in the PNW by that point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

Well, congratulations, I guess.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

nice!
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Condolences to LA based LGers
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Hell yeah!
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
encina1 wrote:
Have fun with traffic, folks. Make a pretty penny renting out your place to visitors.

Is it too early to start planning month-long vacations for 2028?

People thought the same thing would happen in '84. My family left town for half of it. The reality was that there was no impact on traffic and in some cases it was better because everyone panicked (same as what happened with carmageddon).

It turned out to be one of the most well run games and one of if not the most profitable.

Also, I could be wrong about this, as I was 11 at the time, I'm pretty sure they didn't even have 10 years to plan that one, and there are even more viable venues already built than there were back then, with a new football stadium, the Clippers new home and a completely renovated Coliseum sure to all be completed by then.

Yep. The same way people are reacting now is the same way people were reacting back in 84 and the Olympics ended up being awesome for the city.

We saw no real difference in the congestion at all and the whole summer was fun as hell.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how the transportation infrastructure will look like in 2028. I know there is supposed to be a streetcar project that is planned for the future. Will there finally be a rail solution in place to connect LAX to the rest of LA?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

For mass transit, the light rail upgrades and subways will be accelerated.

I personally wish that there are express subways from DTLA to Santa Monica. So we could have maybe either no stops or just 1 in the middle. Imagine getting from DTLA to SM in 10 minutes or less.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
For mass transit, the light rail upgrades and subways will be accelerated.

I personally wish that there are express subways from DTLA to Santa Monica. So we could have maybe either no stops or just 1 in the middle. Imagine getting from DTLA to SM in 10 minutes or less.

Actually, the big problem with the ability to move between Santa Monica and Downtown is not the lack of mass transit at this point.

The problem is the amount of unimpeded commercial growth in Santa Monica. The politicians in Santa Monica got greedy over the last couple of decades and just saw all the dollar signs. So they approved as many large scale commercial development projects as they possibly could so that they could line their pockets - both from taxes and financial "contributions" from developers.

There was no concern over the number of vehicles moving in and out of the area and the logistical impediments to getting them out quickly during commute hours. As a result, it now takes as much as an hour to go less than 5 miles during heavy commutes. To make it worse, development continues despite the fact that there is no meaningful and cost effective way to alleviate the traffic burden. It would take multiple subway lines connecting to various parts of the city East of the 405 to even make a dent in the vehicle traffic, and that is in no way cost effective.

To make matters worse. Santa Monica Airport will be shutdown in a few years. There is a long con by the developers to tell people it will be become a massive "park". But in reality, there will be a small area of green space that already exists and a massive BUSINESS PARK in an area that doesn't have the roads to handle the traffic it already has.

Until Santa Monica is held accountable for the amount of large scale commercial development it allows, you could build a new subway route every year and the traffic issues will never be slowed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I wonder how the transportation infrastructure will look like in 2028. I know there is supposed to be a streetcar project that is planned for the future. Will there finally be a rail solution in place to connect LAX to the rest of LA?

The rail system should be complete by then. The toughest parts were Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. SM is already done and construction is starting on BH in the next couple of months.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

Yep. The idea that an Olympics could be put on without some money coming out of the city's tax funds is impossible for that very reason. The logistics of the day to day costs once the games are actually going on dictate such expenditures.

The sports fan in me likes the idea another LA games. I have very fond memories of going to the '84 games. I saw a lot of great events. But if the plans my wife and I have for getting out of LA go according to design, we'll be well established in our new digs in the PNW by that point.

Really? You're leaving? Quitter!

I have a lot of fond memories of the 84 games and I'm really looking forward to seeing LA put up on the grandest of stages again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: