Kobe Jersey Retirement: 12-18-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Good that they are retiring both. It should be done. I think 24 is means more than 8 slightly.

I felt Kobe took his game to another level with 24, where to 8, he was living in Shaq's shadow somewhat (that can be debated)
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I'll be there woot woot!

Nice! Don't forget to give us your take after the game!
lakertang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Use a hologram. The expensive type. From one angle it looks like 8 from another 24. Your welcome.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Judah wrote:
ocho wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:
Shouldn't they wait to see if he makes the Hall of Fame?

I hope it's both 8 and 24

Putting up both numbers wouldn't look right. Besides, he ditched #8. They should hang #24 but not let anyone wear #8.

Seems rather silly to not retire 8 while not allowing anyone to wear it. If you're not gonna let anyone wear it, just retire it.

Sillier than putting two jerseys in the rafters of the same player?

Both are gimmicks, let's hope we haven't sunk to that level

Yes I mean Kobe is a criminal after all right VLF?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.

It can just be one jersey with two numbers on it you know....

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo

To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.

it was part of marketing because of the Colorado thing
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.

because Kareem and Magic only wore one?
i think Kobe is greater than both
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

^yup, he is
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
^yup, he is
GOAT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Retire both but only put one jersey (possibly with both numbers) in the rafters. I think it would look dumb to have 2 Bryant jerseys.

I also think they're doing this too soon. What is the rush here? Kobe will likely have a statue by 2019 too. I don't understand the need for rushing all of this.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Now people complaining that this is rushed.

Who the hell cares? He's a surefire HOF. He'll be there eventually so why wait? Shaq got his jersey retired on the 2nd season after retirement. Same thing for the GOAT.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

lakertang wrote:
Use a hologram. The expensive type. From one angle it looks like 8 from another 24. Your welcome.

I like this idea.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
This is a great signal to LeBron. See, the Lakers revere and honor their superstars!!

I'd say the timing isn't accidental either. They retire his jersey the season before the Lakers have a chance to go big in free agency.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.

It can just be one jersey with two numbers on it you know....

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo

To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.

it was part of marketing because of the Colorado thing

What? He switched to 24 during the 2006-2007 season. That's three seasons removed from Colorado.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
markjay wrote:
This is a great signal to LeBron. See, the Lakers revere and honor their superstars!!

I'd say the timing isn't accidental either. They retire his jersey the season before the Lakers have a chance to go big in free agency.

I'm somewhat surprised that they're not doing it on January 3rd instead when OKC comes to town. Give Paul George and Russell Westbrook something to ponder the possibilities of from the Staples Center bench right before the trade deadline hits and they enter free agency a few months later.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

They can just put a "8/24" or just stack the numbers vertically. I don't see the need for 2 jersey's.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
markjay wrote:

I'm somewhat surprised that they're not doing it on January 3rd instead when OKC comes to town. Give Paul George and Russell Westbrook something to ponder the possibilities of from the Staples Center bench right before the trade deadline hits and they enter free agency a few months later.

Or CLE when LeBron comes. My best guess for why they didn't choose one of those games is probably because of the mini scandal surrounding the tampering allegation. The media would've been all over it speculation wise and all of those talks would've ignited all over again. It's wiser for them to avoid bad press.

It also wouldn't have been fair to Kobe to have his night overshadowed with all of those unrelated subplots.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Why are people still arguing about how they'll do it? One jersey with two numbers, holograms... Geez

Kobe: "As a kid growing up in Italy, I always dreamed of my jersey hanging in the Lakers rafters, but I certainly never imagined two of them,"

Magic: "I look forward to seeing BOTH of his jerseys be retired and celebrating this special day with Kobe and his family."

Jeannie: "Kobe's jerseys are taking their rightful home next to the greatest Lakers of all time,"
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

LOL @ the ticket prices on the day his jerseys are to be retired.
Even in his retirement, Kobe still makes money for the Lakers.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

I don't think Lakers get any of that cut...thats going to the scalpers.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Aren't the ticket prices the same?
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure they'll make more in merchandise sales than any other normal game that day

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I prefer one jersey cut diagonally:

8/24
Sportsmuze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
I prefer one jersey cut diagonally:

8/24

I like this as well

Simplicity is best here... will look the most classy when all said and done. Visualising the area... this seems natural
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
lakertang wrote:

I like this idea.

And then have 2pac show up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15
Jump to: