OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1774, 1775, 1776 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
epak wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
epak wrote:
Good thing both teams can afford all three.

There are no teams that can afford all three next summer getting paid their
respective Max contracts.

Yep.
That's why I won't be saying "max" money.
I'm just saying we can afford all three.

You are optimistic that all three will sign for an average starting salary of $20.5 million or whatever the spreadsheet shows they need to sign for to make everything fit.

I wouldnt be surprised if it happened. And I wouldnt be surprised if it didnt.
It's one year away. The players themselves probably don't know what they'll do next year. So I dont mind being optimistic when there's a possibility.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
WB signs his 10 year extension with Jordan brand.

OKC's supermax extension sits there collecting dust.

Hmm.

Could WB and/or PG13/LBJ be angling for LA next?

Jordan and Magic made far more money post playing career than during their playing days. It stands to reason that building your brand by letting the league market you has as much if not more lifetime value than "modest" differences in playing salary for the top five or so guys. These days that happens by being on super teams, even more so if you're in the right market.

If WB wants to launch a fashion brand that goes differently if he's on a super team in LA than if he's a lone wolf in OKC (superteam being more important than market).
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

The way I understand it, these guys could all take less for one year, then get paid 2019? I mean if you think about it all of them are getting big bucks from Nike and they will likely receive more endorsements being part of a resurgence of relevance in LA. Barring a major injury next season, would they really be giving up much if any money? Plus they'd be where they really want to be... just seems like an easy decision if im them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:
The way I understand it, these guys could all take less for one year, then get paid 2019? I mean if you think about it all of them are getting big bucks from Nike and they will likely receive more endorsements being part of a resurgence of relevance in LA. Barring a major injury next season, would they really be giving up much if any money? Plus they'd be where they really want to be... just seems like an easy decision if im them.

Not really. We don't have Bird rights on them so we would need cold hard cap space to re-sign them in 2019.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

If all 3 end up in LA, do we have a shot at beating GS?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:

To many "what if's" there...doubt we have to cross that bridge.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:

If two first round picks are used to carve out as much cap space as possible, the pressure to win will be huge.

Not being good enough to beat the Warriors and having a debt of two first round picks might annoy some on LG.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

OKC is 1 team who might explore trading WB if they know he's gonna test FA next summer
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I read that someone projected that only 5 teams will have cap space next summer, the dream of trading Deng is dead if that is the case he will have to be stretched
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:

Is $15 mil much to give up? That would be an easy decision for you? I doubt they are as free with their money as you are.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Question for LG:

If LeBron decides to join the Lakers do you think he's gonna announce it on the Player Tribute or a media reporter will announce it?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I read that someone projected that only 5 teams will have cap space next summer, the dream of trading Deng is dead if that is the case he will have to be stretched

If meaningful cap space is considered to be $16 million and up, then 5 to maybe 10 teams will be in that category next summer and that is counting the Lakers as part of that group.

To move Deng with $0 salary coming back, it will probably require two first round picks (if it can be done at all).

I have posted this link before.

Next summer could be the wrong time to be an NBA free agent
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

FYI:

Quote:
Bleacher Report NBA‏Verified account @BR_NBA 17m17 minutes ago

Zach Randolph's marijuana charge dismissed, will serve 150 hours of community service as part of plea deal, per @TMZ http://ble.ac/2xzxoqz
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Question for LG:

If LeBron decides to join the Lakers do you think he's gonna announce it on the Player Tribute or a media reporter will announce it?

dont care
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LB2 wrote:

Is $15 mil much to give up? That would be an easy decision for you? I doubt they are as free with their money as you are.

Well my point is they would likely get more and higher paying endorsements that might offset some of it. That combined with joining a team that would contend and being in the city you love might just be enough.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Question for LG:

Lol that's a random question my man
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LB2 wrote:

Not really. We don't have Bird rights on them so we would need cold hard cap space to re-sign them in 2019.

I could be wrong, but I understand that's actually correct. If say, WestBrook, George, and Cousins for instance all decide to take 1+1 contracts and split our cap space evenly among them then they could opt out the following season. In this scenario, the Lakers would own each players' "Non-Bird Rights" (Don't let the name confuse you, they are essentially the same as bird rights) which would allow the Lakers to exceed the salary cap by re-signing all 3 players to contracts up to 120% of their previous salary.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LB2 wrote:

I could be wrong, but I understand that's actually correct. If say, WestBrook, George, and Cousins for instance all decide to take 1+1 contracts and split our cap space evenly among them then they could opt out the following season. In this scenario, the Lakers would own each players' "Non-Bird Rights" (Don't let the name confuse you, they are essentially the same as bird rights) which would allow the Lakers to exceed the salary cap by re-signing all 3 players to contracts up to 120% of their previous salary.

Hmmm. You might be right. Same with KCP IIRC.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LB2 wrote:

Hmmm. You might be right. Same with KCP IIRC.

Alright. So we can afford all three
I wonder how LeBron will handle coming off the bench
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LA!!!! I am signing copies of my book #StyleDrivers tomorrow at the Barnes & Noble at The Grove from 7pm-9pm #whynot Pull up!!!!

Time to ask him if he's gonna extend that contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LB2 wrote:

So they give up money for at least 2 years? Would you do the same, donate 30% of your salary to LG for 2 years?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LB2 wrote:

So they give up money for at least 2 years? Would you do the same, donate 30% of your salary to LG for 2 years?

Players have done exactly that (took less $) for a chance to contend for the championship
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

None have done so to join a 30 win team. If we were the Warriors maybe, but we are far from t Warriors.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
OKC is 1 team who might explore trading WB if they know he's gonna test FA next summer

eyspecially if he still hasn't re-signed by the AS break.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

eyspecially if he still hasn't re-signed by the AS break.

Westbrook has little incentive to re-sign before next offseason. He is seeking a shorter deal and might want to monitor what OKC does with its roster before committing. There are few teams that can afford to give him $35 mil and we have little to deal unless we are dealing our rookies.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1774, 1775, 1776 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1775 of 1813
Jump to: