Tore my ACL, anyone else been through this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Tore my ACL, anyone else been through this?

Was playing soccer -- long story short.. Dr. estimates that the vast majority (around 70%) of my ACL is torn.

I'm likely to need surgery, been lucky enough to schedule an appt for an evaluation with a very good ortho in orange county on friday.

Anyone else have experience with this? What was it like? Recovery, rehab?? I assume even after being 100% it wasnt the same.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I have. It was during football in high school. Unfortunately, my surgeon botched it and I now have permanent nerve damage which flares up from time to time. In addition I have some recurring lymphedema though that might've been in conjunction with earlier cancer treatments. Otherwise, for 99% of the people out there, with adequate recovery and rehab, you should be fine.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

My friend tore hers playing soccer. After surgery and PT she was basically back to normal.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I have. It was during football in high school. Unfortunately, my surgeon botched it and I now have permanent nerve damage which flares up from time to time. In addition I have some recurring lymphedema though that might've been in conjunction with earlier cancer treatments. Otherwise, for 99% of the people out there, with adequate recovery and rehab, you should be fine.

ouch :X

you still play sports?
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
My friend tore hers playing soccer. After surgery and PT she was basically back to normal.

tore mine playing soccer, im 31, i think i can still recover. And yea, i've been hearing how the surgeries are must successful these days.

Fingers cross :\
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

ouch :X

you still play sports?

I do actually. Not quite at the level I once was before.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Sucks dude, sorry to hear. I'm going on 40. Not touching those kinds of sports anymore. So many of my friends have had ligament tears usually from basketball too.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Yup. Torn ACL and both meniscus.

If it does require your ACL to be replaced, you're probably still young enough where they'll take a ligament graft from your own body. The recovery for those types of grafts takes longer but the graft is supposed to be stronger and less chance of complications using your own tissue as opposed to a donor graft from a cadaver.

After the surgery, you'll be on crutches for at least a week. Just relax and ice it down three times a day and wear your brace to keep your leg straightened as it heals. I was able to drive and return to work after 10 days albeit with crutches.

After that, you'll be in physical therapy for a few months so find a good one. My PT had one of those AlterG treadmills that can support most of your body weight. I thought it really helped. PT can get to be a grind but just think of them as workouts.

Best of luck on your recovery.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Yup. Torn ACL and both meniscus.

If it does require your ACL to be replaced, you're probably still young enough where they'll take a ligament graft from your own body. The recovery for those types of grafts takes longer but the graft is supposed to be stronger and less chance of complications using your own tissue as opposed to a donor graft from a cadaver.

After the surgery, you'll be on crutches for at least a week. Just relax and ice it down three times a day and wear your brace to keep your leg straightened as it heals. I was able to drive and return to work after 10 days albeit with crutches.

After that, you'll be in physical therapy for a few months so find a good one. My PT had one of those AlterG treadmills that can support most of your body weight. I thought it really helped. PT can get to be a grind but just think of them as workouts.

Best of luck on your recovery.

thanks for the insight and the words of wisdom.

When it rains it pours i guess, me and my wife had just had an offer accepted to buy our first house, but ended up backing out. It wasnt meant to be i guess; we'll be patient and hopefully buy one next year
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Advice for the ACL injury in PT regards, I would focus on strengthening quads, glutes, and eventually hamstrings. Theres a lot of exercises you can do pre-op that can help strengthen muscles so the curve isnt so steep after surgery.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

Tore mine too along with the LCL and PCL. Did it while playing soccer too. I was 29, had surgery a month later, rehabbed for a year and im back to playing normal.

two words of advice..rehab, ice, rehab, ice, rehab n ice. after about 6 months or so of rehab, you will begin to feel really good again and back to normal. you'll almost want to play a little but not too hard..DONT. the rehab process is just as much mental as it is physical. keep grinding, keep doing your rehab and dont think you're ready until you're told youre ready. I was told I was ready after 9 months. I rehabbed an additional 3 months to make it a full year. The last thing i wanted was to go through that entire process again.

good luck on your surgery and rehab!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
Tore mine too along with the LCL and PCL. Did it while playing soccer too. I was 29, had surgery a month later, rehabbed for a year and im back to playing normal.

two words of advice..rehab, ice, rehab, ice, rehab n ice. after about 6 months or so of rehab, you will begin to feel really good again and back to normal. you'll almost want to play a little but not too hard..DONT. the rehab process is just as much mental as it is physical. keep grinding, keep doing your rehab and dont think you're ready until you're told youre ready. I was told I was ready after 9 months. I rehabbed an additional 3 months to make it a full year. The last thing i wanted was to go through that entire process again.

good luck on your surgery and rehab!

Very encouraging to hear! Had an initial pre-surgery PT yesterday and the PT told me the same thing.

I'm going to be as diligent as possible.

Just really waiting on a follow up appt with the ortho this coming week and hoping his front office was able to clear the surgery with my insurance.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Happened to my brother several years ago, gotta do the PT and be diligent, good luck, good thoughts coming your way

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tore my ACL, anyone else been through this?

marga86 wrote:
Was playing soccer -- long story short.. Dr. estimates that the vast majority (around 70%) of my ACL is torn.

I'm likely to need surgery, been lucky enough to schedule an appt for an evaluation with a very good ortho in orange county on friday.

Anyone else have experience with this? What was it like? Recovery, rehab?? I assume even after being 100% it wasnt the same.

I have seen guys go through it up close, and go through "expedited PT" to return to the football field by the next season.....and I saw tears in every one of those guys eyes during that recovery process....the recovery requires effort and is not a walk in the park from what I have seen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: