Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
People liked Rogue One? Huh

I liked, didnt love Rogue One but it beats the crap out of Force Awakens that felt too much like a forced rehash of New Hope.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

My rankings: 5, 4, 6, 7, Rouge One, 3, 2, 1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

Aside from the originals. I liked attack of the clones. The clone wars cartoons and rebels.

I wish they make more canon Star Wars cartoons. Dave filoni is just awesome
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

Ben Vereen wrote:
People didn't like Rogue One? Huh

I fell asleep the first time. It was a struggle.

Then again, I hated The Force Awakens so what do I know.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Ben Vereen wrote:
People didn't like Rogue One? Huh

I could barely get through it. Part of the issue, for me at least, is that any Star Wars movie is going to be handcuffed by fan expectation. Theres a reason that people keep leaving for "creative differences". Star Wars isn't a movie from 1977 anymore. It's a feeling. People may say they want to see something new with the franchise, but they're really just chasing the high of the first. That's why even something like Rogue One, which on its face is trying to do something completely different, ends up being another clone that must tie into the main story and feature the time honored characters rather than flesh out new ones. A new Star Wars can never be anything new because if it were it wouldn't be enough like Star Wars. I always get a kick when people go bananas over the teaser trailers which are almost entirely John Williams and lightsaber sfx. Abrams and Howard are the perfect guys to make these movies. Talented pros who will copy the originals and have no interest in taking it anywhere new.

This
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
A new Star Wars can never be anything new because if it were it wouldn't be enough like Star Wars. I always get a kick when people go bananas over the teaser trailers which are almost entirely John Williams and lightsaber sfx. Abrams and Howard are the perfect guys to make these movies. Talented pros who will copy the originals and have no interest in taking it anywhere new.

There is an additional issue: There really isn't a coherent universe in the background upon which you could build something new. I realized this about 15 years ago when I dabbled with the Star Wars MMO. There were a lot of people running around trying to get a light saber, but otherwise there was nothing much to do. Contrast this with Star Trek, which was a TV show. It introduced and actually developed all sorts of worlds and species. You can build a spinoff on that sort of foundation.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
A new Star Wars can never be anything new because if it were it wouldn't be enough like Star Wars. I always get a kick when people go bananas over the teaser trailers which are almost entirely John Williams and lightsaber sfx. Abrams and Howard are the perfect guys to make these movies. Talented pros who will copy the originals and have no interest in taking it anywhere new.

There is an additional issue: There really isn't a coherent universe in the background upon which you could build something new. I realized this about 15 years ago when I dabbled with the Star Wars MMO. There were a lot of people running around trying to get a light saber, but otherwise there was nothing much to do. Contrast this with Star Trek, which was a TV show. It introduced and actually developed all sorts of worlds and species. You can build a spinoff on that sort of foundation.

Right, SW introduces planets not to universe build but to serve the plot. Outside of Tattooine has there been any planet that they've been to twice? We don't even know what is where really. Just them going from place to place.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

Right, SW introduces planets not to universe build but to serve the plot. Outside of Tattooine has there been any planet that they've been to twice? We don't even know what is where really. Just them going from place to place.

Coruscant, Yavin, Dagobah, Naboo all more than once.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

The Force Awakens was utter trash when you factor in that they had an unlimited budget to make it great. All that money and the ability to get any talent you wanted and we get a completely unoriginal movie. So pathetic. Even with it's unoriginal plot it could have been way better just by tweaking some scenes. I guarantee if we took 4 random people in this thread we could make changes to some of the scenes that would make a huge difference in the final product. Really just sad. I'm not expecting much out of the new one but maybe that's a good thing since my expectations will already be low.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: