used car purchase help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

good experience with Hertz car sales. Bought a Camry on promotion at a price that was cheaper than anything else for that model+year+mileage on auto trader.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'm shopping for a starter car for my 17 year-old niece who starts college in a couple of a weeks, it's her bday gift

I'm looking at certified sedans with ~30k miles. My max price is $14k

I found a 2014 sonata with about 30k for $11.5k and a 10 year warranty. This is at the top of my list for that price point, but this my first time buying a used car so I don't know much, and also am a novice at automotive knowledge in general.

I see similarly priced 2014, 2015 civics and corollas all over socal. Reliability reports + traditional reputation makes me want to lean Toyota/Honda, but the 10 year warranty and larger size/dollar is attractive.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Lean Toyota and Honda. The warranty for Hyundai is only good if strict maintainance records are there. The Toyota and Honda will also have higher resale value after your done with the vehicle.

What do you mean by strict maintenance? What must be done other than routine things? What are the the routine things?

Maintenance just needs to be recorded and on time. Otherwise the dealership can void the warranty for negligence.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

My max price is $14k

Make that paper, son!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

You know your stuff, Mike. May have some questions for you when I'm in the market for a new car if that's cool.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
You know your stuff, Mike. May have some questions for you when I'm in the market for a new car if that's cool.

No problem. Feel free to PM.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

I'm in the market again, this time for a new car. 3 weeks ago I got T-boned by a red light runner. Lucky to walk away, but my car, and 2 ribs got turned into ground mustard.

I've been bait and switched at dealerships twice. Once at Toyota of Orange for their bz4x ("the car you called about had been sold, we forgot to tell you") and then at Glendale Hyundai for the Ioniq5 (we allocated one but reserved it for someone else because you couldn't get here within 5 minutes of us texting you).

This will be my first EV and I think I'm set on the Ioniq5. Has anyone here looked at it?

Also, check out the Ioniq 6 coming out next year.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I'm in the market again, this time for a new car. 3 weeks ago I got T-boned by a red light runner. Lucky to walk away, but my car, and 2 ribs got turned into ground mustard.

I've been bait and switched at dealerships twice. Once at Toyota of Orange for their bz4x ("the car you called about had been sold, we forgot to tell you") and then at Glendale Hyundai for the Ioniq5 (we allocated one but reserved it for someone else because you couldn't get here within 5 minutes of us texting you).

This will be my first EV and I think I'm set on the Ioniq5. Has anyone here looked at it?

I know zilch about EVs, but I've sold and bought dozens of cars. Don't negotiate at the dealership. If you have a credit union - they have a purchase program. If you have a Costco membership, they have a purchase program. If you're in a union, they have a purchase program. If you have a credit card, they likely have a purchase program. Use them to shop & negotiate for you - they already have your financing down (which is where the dealer cleans up).

If you don't have any of those, go to any of the dozens of online sites (cars.com, driveway.com or online lease companies).

The dealer can meet/match online deals, but only as a last resort. Their job is to maximize each deal while the services/online dealers are looking at volume.

More importantly, the dealer is limited to what they have in stock (don't buy the "we'll order it/get it from another dealer and have it in 10 days" line, I kept someone on the hum for 5 months one time with that line). Your credit card buying program has access to inventory across your region, as do the online folks.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
C M B wrote:

I know zilch about EVs, but I've sold and bought dozens of cars. Don't negotiate at the dealership. If you have a credit union - they have a purchase program. If you have a Costco membership, they have a purchase program. If you're in a union, they have a purchase program. If you have a credit card, they likely have a purchase program. Use them to shop & negotiate for you - they already have your financing down (which is where the dealer cleans up).

If you don't have any of those, go to any of the dozens of online sites (cars.com, driveway.com or online lease companies).

The dealer can meet/match online deals, but only as a last resort. Their job is to maximize each deal while the services/online dealers are looking at volume.

More importantly, the dealer is limited to what they have in stock (don't buy the "we'll order it/get it from another dealer and have it in 10 days" line, I kept someone on the hum for 5 months one time with that line). Your credit card buying program has access to inventory across your region, as do the online folks.

I used truecar for my last purchase in 2019 but the i5 is so scarce that the dealers have 100% of the leverage. That vehicle has a months long waitlist.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
C M B wrote:

I used truecar for my last purchase in 2019 but the i5 is so scarce that the dealers have 100% of the leverage. That vehicle has a months long waitlist.

I5 = Ioniq 5? Check out the GV60 too...it's basically the same car but a lot more upscale. Fit and finish on Genesis' these days are amazing. Their interiors are gorgeous...has that Gattica, 50s imagination of the future type feel. Those I5's are gorgeous in person. I drive by Hyundai HQ everyday and they have a few of them parked where you can see them on display from the 405.

As far as I know, Tustin Hyundai is the only one that isn't doing a markup for the Ioniq 5. There's a dealer in Vegas that I believe is "only" doing a 2k markup but they at least include a few bull-(bleep) addons like tints, etc. I'm in the market right now too so I've been looking at all the newer EV's coming out. Cars across the board (even ICE vehicles) are still being marked up like crazy but I have noticed a lot of price cuts recently.

For what it's worth, Tustin hit me up to via say they had a Limited I5 in stock and I called back in an hour and it was already spoken for. Wild times. I'm at the point I'll take any of the I5, EV6, GV60, Mach E for close to MSRP. I really want to go electric.

*edit* Cerritos Genesis just called me that a customer turn down their preorder so they have a Performance GV60 in stock. Wanted 7K over MSRP. I was tempted to tell him to go F himself but decided to be civil and turned it down graciously.

Btw check out Rory's walkaround of the Ioniq 6. Looks noice!

Last edited by jonnybravo on Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject:

^

Thank you for the heads up on the GV60, just amazed at the designs from Hyundai/Genesis/Kia, it seems they will eventually be the dominant EV manufacturer in the US. Their E-GMP electric battery platform is impressive — when charging with a 350kW charger, you will be able to charge up to 80% capacity in as little as 18 minutes. That’s a faster charge time than with what a Mach-E can do. That is possibly faster or at least on par with charging up a Tesla at their Supercharger location.

Apparently Hyundai is providing 2 years of free charging (up to 30 minutes ea) at ElectifyAmerica charging stations for every purchase of an I5. With CA electricity costs continuing to rise, that’s a game changer. Looks like the I5 and others may also qualify for the Federal Tax credit at this time so that could offset some of that dealer markup.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
^

Thank you for the heads up on the GV60, just amazed at the designs from Hyundai/Genesis/Kia, it seems they will eventually be the dominant EV manufacturer in the US. Their E-GMP electric battery platform is impressive — when charging with a 350kW charger, you will be able to charge up to 80% capacity in as little as 18 minutes. That’s a faster charge time than with what a Mach-E can do. That is possibly faster or at least on par with charging up a Tesla at their Supercharger location.

Apparently Hyundai is providing 2 years of free charging (up to 30 minutes ea) at ElectifyAmerica charging stations for every purchase of an I5. With CA electricity costs continuing to rise, that’s a game changer. Looks like the I5 and others may also qualify for the Federal Tax credit at this time so that could offset some of that dealer markup.

Yep, Hyundai should have it's tax credit for awhile. Ford/Toyota is about to run out before year's end.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject:

@ Monty - Volvo EV's are pretty readily available. When I was communicating with the dealer he said no markup and if you plan on leasing, they'll pass on the Fed tax credit to you (which is super rare as they usually split or keep it themselves on a lease).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
@ Monty - Volvo EV's are pretty readily available. When I was communicating with the dealer he said no markup and if you plan on leasing, they'll pass on the Fed tax credit to you (which is super rare as they usually split or keep it themselves on a lease).

The only problem with them is that 100% of the people who buy Volvos are really bad drivers.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Any advice on how to get any kind of a deal with car prices as they are? I have a family member looking for a car on a tight budget. I loaned them my car during much of the pandemic, as I was working from home and hardly needed it. I really wish they bought one when Covid first hit in March/April 2020. No inflation/supply chain issues, and everyone was sheltering at home, so that was probably the best time to buy. Regardless, they need one, and cannot pay these nosebleed prices right now.
Macferson
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Any advice on how to get any kind of a deal with car prices as they are via Carplus? I have a family member looking for a car on a tight budget. I loaned them my car during much of the pandemic, as I was working from home and hardly needed it. I really wish they bought one when Covid first hit in March/April 2020. No inflation/supply chain issues, and everyone was sheltering at home, so that was probably the best time to buy. Regardless, they need one, and cannot pay these nosebleed prices right now.

True, current prices are terrifying and there are tons of forecasts that this is not the end yet
Ogrounder
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

Macferson wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Any advice on how to get any kind of a deal with car prices as they are via sca.auction? I have a family member looking for a car on a tight budget. I loaned them my car during much of the pandemic, as I was working from home and hardly needed it. I really wish they bought one when Covid first hit in March/April 2020. No inflation/supply chain issues, and everyone was sheltering at home, so that was probably the best time to buy. Regardless, they need one, and cannot pay these nosebleed prices right now.

True, current prices are terrifying and there are tons of forecasts that this is not the end yet

Not long ago Elon Mask announced another conference where he is supposed to release the brand-new platform for a low cost car (25k). I hope that if it happens then maybe it will make other vendors also cut prices on their cars.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: