CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 11/21 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
BTW DB, is there a Center controversy? I see Kwame played 31 minutes off of the bench.

Two-headed monster. Since Drew can't play a lot of minutes because of his conditioning, Kwame will get his PT. So far they have looked like a pretty good one-two punch at the C spot. I don't see Phil changing anything for a while.

We need to give the two-headed monster a name. How about "Andrame"?

--Anonymous
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

jeremysnow wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
jeremysnow wrote:
I personally wish that the Lakers play 'Drew 10-15 mpg. Currently, he's averaging 22 mpg .

after all, drew has a 19 year old body, playing the VERY physical center position......

so IMO, I feel it's absolutely great that Kwame's back, which would pare down 'drew's minutes (perhaps less than 22 mpg; maybe 15 to 18?). This is only drew's second year. He's already exceeded numerous insider types. IMO, it's a long season for such a young body.

As for this past two games, it was been part of a VERY interesting learning curve for 'drew, i.e.:

I agree completely Jeremy. I've been afraid of Andrew getting worn out by the time he's 23!

Kwame comming back and contributing like this is the perfect situation. We can bring Bynum along more slowly as his body finishes it's maturing.

In the meantime, there is no better education for him. Nothing like learning by doing, I've always said.

the lakers are VERY well aware of putting too many minutes to this young man. incidentally, 'drew was measured prior to the season, being slightly taller than last season, which suggests continued bony growth (although most probably slowing & calcifying).

the staff I understand is closely monitoring his minutes and energy level. lakers have learned from the mistakes of other organizations, e.g. jonathan bender .

unfortunately, at the start of this season, there wasn't much of a choice, but to play bynum extended minutes....... we were nil at the 5 slot.

broadly speaking, bynum has been a good fit in the organization.

it helps that bynum has a stellar attitude;

it also helps having several big men coaches, e.g. kareem and kurt.

bynum is taking his life as a professional baller in stride, always willing to listen to advice and constructive criticism.

Interesting. Do you know how much he grew? There's certainly a balance the team must maintain, with regards to Bynum, whether to rush him, or wait till he finishes growing. There are advantages either way, and I'd prefer that he starts the training now, because if you think about it, there are only so many years you can be in this league, and it has yet to be proven that weight training will stunt his growth.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I thought Smush was fantastic. I don't think his lapses led to Cassell's hot third quarter. Time and time again Cassell has shown he is a very good NBA player. But overall, Smush did well staying in front of his man, challenging shots, finding the open man, getting good shots up. I think his only gaffe was the T called on him while Kobe was shooting FTs. Of course, I don't know what was done or said to warrant a T, but Smush should know better that the refs aren't taking any <bleep> this year.

There were multiple times where Smush was overplaying Cassell and he got burned, badly. Got stuck on Sam's hip at midcourt and stayed there for penetration and a score. I think that might have happened THREE times. That's a hoop IQ thing and Smush got taken to school.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
encina1 wrote:
I thought Smush was fantastic. I don't think his lapses led to Cassell's hot third quarter. Time and time again Cassell has shown he is a very good NBA player. But overall, Smush did well staying in front of his man, challenging shots, finding the open man, getting good shots up. I think his only gaffe was the T called on him while Kobe was shooting FTs. Of course, I don't know what was done or said to warrant a T, but Smush should know better that the refs aren't taking any <bleep> this year.

There were multiple times where Smush was overplaying Cassell and he got burned, badly. Got stuck on Sam's hip at midcourt and stayed there for penetration and a score. I think that might have happened THREE times. That's a hoop IQ thing and Smush got taken to school.

DB- great post and thanks for adding in the latter comments...
I think Smush needs to learn (Low BB=IQ) on footwork and defensive angles...
Otherwise, he was a suprise Starter last year... and needs to continue to mature...
\Sam schooled him and to a point even forced some Fouls (Sam jumping into the Dman)
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

There was an audio clip from a couple days back where either phil or kwame said kwame had been working with Kareem on his offense because he was rushing.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

703Soulja wrote:
There was an audio clip from a couple days back where either phil or kwame said kwame had been working with Kareem on his offense because he was rushing.

Now, that is very interesting.

--Anonymous
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Aloha wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
encina1 wrote:
DB- great post and thanks for adding in the latter comments...I think Smush needs to learn (Low BB=IQ) on footwork and defensive angles...Otherwise, he was a suprise Starter last year... and needs to continue to mature...\Sam schooled him and to a point even forced some Fouls (Sam jumping into the Dman)
Smush's athletic ability (i.e. quickness) is the "carrot" that entices the Lakers (currently). As Hubie Brown stated on ESPN - no one guard can consistently defensively denied any of the quick point guards unless one plays within a team defense scheme. Of course, this requires some basketball IQ that unfortunately Smush has not yet grasp/attain. He might be somebody that fits (ala Caron Butler) in a more "run and gun" scheme where defense isn't a high priority (i.e. Wizzards) and where the pressure of winning championships does not exist (i.e. Wizzards). btw: Does anybody here misses Caron Butler?!?!

Re: Sasha
Could he develop into a Brett Berry-type (of the San Antonio Spurs) of player for us? He has the defensive tenacity, can score (at least in practice) and is long. He is still a very young player who was a star in the European League while learning a new language/culture. btw: The FSN special on him was nice.

Re: Evans
Any thoughts on his ability to play the "1" - cuz he has the length, great athletic ability, defensive-minded and has a good basketball IQ. It is recognized that he doesn't yet know the Triangle or the ability to bring up the ball against the best of the quick (i.e. Ford, Tony Parker, Nash, etc.), but he has the length that Phil would lilke to see in PGs
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Any thoughts on his ability to play the "1" - cuz he has the length, great athletic ability, defensive-minded and has a good basketball IQ. It is recognized that he doesn't yet know the Triangle or the ability to bring up the ball against the best of the quick (i.e. Ford, Tony Parker, Nash, etc.), but he has the length that Phil would lilke to see in PGs

Missing the ball-handling, passing, and comfortable 3pt. range.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I definitely agree that there's no way that Evans can play the 1, and that's not just on the offensive end. He's not very good at sliding through picks, and that's something a good defensive 1 needs to do. Also, his lateral quickness isn't good enough for him to keep 1s from driving past him. Evans is a solid defender, but he doesn't have the defensive upside that DG exhibited at times. Mo has better basketball IQ, so that evens things out a bit between he and Devean, but Devean was a much better defender when he was on.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
BTW DB, is there a Center controversy? I see Kwame played 31 minutes off of the bench.

Two-headed monster. Since Drew can't play a lot of minutes because of his conditioning, Kwame will get his PT. So far they have looked like a pretty good one-two punch at the C spot. I don't see Phil changing anything for a while.

We need to give the two-headed monster a name. How about "Andrame"?

I like that. Sounds like some sort of Neolithic, amphibious predator.

To the point of Andrew and Kwame....they're very DIFFERENT types of centers, which bodes well for us. Regardless of the team that we play, we at least have one big man that matches up well against them. That's going to be very important come playoff time.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I definitely agree that there's no way that Evans can play the 1, and that's not just on the offensive end. He's not very good at sliding through picks, and that's something a good defensive 1 needs to do. Also, his lateral quickness isn't good enough for him to keep 1s from driving past him. Evans is a solid defender, but he doesn't have the defensive upside that DG exhibited at times. Mo has better basketball IQ, so that evens things out a bit between he and Devean, but Devean was a much better defender when he was on.
The stated assessments are definitely valid. How does Evans' skills and above-stated deficiencies compare to players such as Ron Harper and BShaw?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: