Hurricane Irma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

Believe it or not, Hurricane Jose is expected to do a 360 and head back toward Florida and the Carolinas. It seems most likely to head off into the Atlantic, but when the tracking charts change this much, you never know.

http://derecho.math.uwm.edu/models/al122017.png
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

All safe.....very minor damage to roof.....still no electricity...cell service very spotty......fuel lines at stations that have fuel are very long. Thx for the well wishes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Believe it or not, Hurricane Jose is expected to do a 360 and head back toward Florida and the Carolinas. It seems most likely to head off into the Atlantic, but when the tracking charts change this much, you never know.

http://derecho.math.uwm.edu/models/al122017.png

Jeanne pulled a similar 360 loop in 2004.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
All safe.....very minor damage to roof.....still no electricity...cell service very spotty......fuel lines at stations that have fuel are very long. Thx for the well wishes.

Good to hear.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Good to hear.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Glad to hear it. I'm a little surprised that the power grid took such a beating. You always expect to have major power outages, but this seems more extreme than usual. It may just be that Irma's wet side went right down the spine of the state.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Glad to hear it. I'm a little surprised that the power grid took such a beating. You always expect to have major power outages, but this seems more extreme than usual. It may just be that Irma's wet side went right down the spine of the state.

yeah, my house is back up with electricity, my parents (about 5 miles away is back up), as well as my office which is within 10 miles, but my sister who lives about 5 miles in the other direction was still without power this morning....even worse, she said it kicked on for about 5 minutes last night before going out again ...hoping she is back up today. Gas lines are no longer crazy, but you still cannot pull straight into a pump as of this morning.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yeah, my house is back up with electricity, my parents (about 5 miles away is back up), as well as my office which is within 10 miles, but my sister who lives about 5 miles in the other direction was still without power this morning....even worse, she said it kicked on for about 5 minutes last night before going out again ...hoping she is back up today. Gas lines are no longer crazy, but you still cannot pull straight into a pump as of this morning.

I had the same thing happen during Ike. My power came on for about 2-3 minutes, then went back down for another day.

With Harvey, the gasoline situation straightened out here as soon as people stopped panicking. Your situation may be different, though, because you aren't living next door to a vast complex of refineries. Here, it was just a panic. It started in Dallas, actually. People in Dallas are prone to panic over just about anything. If some kid at the State Fair drops a snow cone, they'll close the schools.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I had the same thing happen during Ike. My power came on for about 2-3 minutes, then went back down for another day.

worst thing about losing power is not actually not having power, but not knowing when it will come back on......setting there in heat, only cold showers, etc. and knowing it could kick on in 60 seconds or it could be days....and you literally have zero control.

My parents told me they are done dealing with this and are investing in a permanent standby generator system for their entire home.....I am still not convinced it makes economic sense as on the size to run AC, lights, washer/dryer, refrigerator, etc. appears to be near $10K....then if you do not already have gas in your home, assume you have to have a tank for natural gas or propane installed on property.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I know a number of people who installed standby generators after Ike. I've thought about buying a smaller, gasoline powered unit. If I could have a light for reading and a fan for comfort, I'd be fine for a few days. I wouldn't even need to run it that much. But even though the smaller units are less expensive, it's still a lot of money for something that you might not use for years at a time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I know a number of people who installed standby generators after Ike. I've thought about buying a smaller, gasoline powered unit. If I could have a light for reading and a fan for comfort, I'd be fine for a few days. I wouldn't even need to run it that much. But even though the smaller units are less expensive, it's still a lot of money for something that you might not use for years at a time.

yeah, I bought my generator after we had 3 Hurricanes in Central Florida in 2004....if I recall, I paid around $600 for it. It had never been used until this week.....that is 13 years of setting and collecting dust.

I actually wished I had bought a smaller one, because they can be used more for outdoor activities, tailgating, etc.....but mine is not huge, but too big to be lugging around.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I have a 4000 watt Honda for earthquake purposes, around $1200. I also use it for camping trips though it will run my refrigerators if an earthquake interrupts power.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Sure, it would make a lot more sense if you had some other uses for it. I know what would happen with me. I would be like Adkindo, watching the thing gather dust for 13 years. Then when I needed it, it wouldn't work because it had been gathering dust for 13 years.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Sure, it would make a lot more sense if you had some other uses for it. I know what would happen with me. I would be like Adkindo, watching the thing gather dust for 13 years. Then when I needed it, it wouldn't work because it had been gathering dust for 13 years.

Hopefully, in a few years, the prices for energy storage solutions like the Tesla Powerwall come down enough to make economic sense in Texas. Then you could use solar to charge the battery and use it to power your home when the grid is out. Even the current powerwall with only 14kwh would be more than enough to power a few appliances and lights for days. And the rest of the time the battery would still be useful for storing any excess solar you generate for use to power your home at night, reducing your energy bill. It's working out well for me in CA (only solar for now, will opt for a powerwall or something similar in the near future), but electricity in Texas is dirt cheap in comparison so the pay off time is much longer.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Another hurricane building. I don't remember a time so many came this close together.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I bought it for camping then thought it would come in handy if our power is interrupted. It gets used for a week or weekend 5-6 times a year.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If you had solar power would it work during power losses?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Another hurricane building. I don't remember a time so many came this close together.

in 2004, Florida was hit by 4 major hurricanes (Charley, Ivan, Jeanne & Frances) in less than two months...then 2005 was the most active on record if I recall with Cindy, Dennis, Katrina, Ophelia, Rita and Wilma all making landfall in the US.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

in 2004, Florida was hit by 4 major hurricanes (Charley, Ivan, Jeanne & Frances) in less than two months...then 2005 was the most active on record if I recall with Cindy, Dennis, Katrina, Ophelia, Rita and Wilma all making landfall in the US.

Thanks. I was on the climate change kick.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's all about the battery, not the solar panels. If you had a battery that would run your house for a couple days (or at least some of the appliances and the like), it wouldn't matter how you charged it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's all about the battery, not the solar panels. If you had a battery that would run your house for a couple days (or at least some of the appliances and the like), it wouldn't matter how you charged it.

So, if you had solar power you could survive using minimal light and appliances for a day or two. I'm not versed on how solar works.

Wouldn't solar power be a good investment and some protection against loss of power during a storm? Also don't you get some credit or rebate for installing solar?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah, the key here is US landfall. The last several years have been very active, just haven't hit the US, so people think there aren't a lot of hurricanes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah, the key here is US landfall. The last several years have been very active, just haven't hit the US, so people think there aren't a lot of hurricanes.

2005 was crazy with overall activity....made it all the way to Wilma, then switched over to the Greek alphabet for Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon and Zeta
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

2005 was crazy with overall activity....made it all the way to Wilma, then switched over to the Greek alphabet for Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon and Zeta

Yeah, it was a doozy. This year is the year of the cat five hurricane.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: