OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

And in that last game he did look more engaged, he didn't play as much we hoped, but in his short minutes of that Finals Game he put up 12/9 with 1 block. Had he played the majority of the game he probably puts up 20/12 that night. But he didn't care about his minutes, cause the team won.

See? Much more engaged, much more energy this game, be brought the effort and energy, which were the two biggest problems for his struggles in summer league.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
And in that last game he did look more engaged, he didn't play as much we hoped, but in his short minutes of that Finals Game he put up 12/9 with 1 block. Had he played the majority of the game he probably puts up 20/12 that night. But he didn't care about his minutes, cause the team won.

See? Much more engaged, much more energy this game, be brought the effort and energy, which were the two biggest problems for his struggles in summer league.

It's the screen/dive/pop at the 38 second mark which is the most promising to me. In the beginning of the summer league, he wasn't moving nearly that quickly. That speed/agility in that one play is a better example of the movement from him I'm used to it. Much better. Hopefully that's where he starts, at a minimum, in training camp.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Zubac will be fine.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Zubac will be fine.

What does fine mean? He's shown offensive skill, but his defense and defensive rebounding were pretty weak last season. That's where I'm looking or improvement, because if he can't do those things, there's no place for you on the court as a center IMO.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
epak wrote:
Zubac will be fine.

What does fine mean? He's shown offensive skill, but his defense and defensive rebounding were pretty weak last season. That's where I'm looking or improvement, because if he can't do those things, there's no place for you on the court as a center IMO.

Yep.
I think Zubac will be fine in those categories.
But not until he's 21 as he becomes a man.
Till then he'll make mistakes and sit on the bench.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I think Zubac needs to lose whatever weight he gained. Allegedly he has gained muscle to enhance his post game but it hasn't and has just made him look slow and uncoordinated. Right now he needs speed more than he needs strength.
wow that's idiotic if true. Link? He needs to be losing weight, not gaining it.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

He's 20 years old, he hasn't even matured fully into his body. He has the best trainers in the world, I'm sure they aren't incompetent.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject:

Zubac lost baby fat and added muscle. You know, the natural thing that happens to you when you're no longer 19 and you happen to be an nba player and are working on your body?

His body's just changing. It didn't "slow him down". You can see him moving in the last SL game just fine, whatever personal things he was going through and getting his timing back seemed to start coming back into place near the end of summer league which was a good sign.

Too much hyperbole, one way or another with these summer league performance evaluations.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's the screen/dive/pop at the 38 second mark which is the most promising to me. In the beginning of the summer league, he wasn't moving nearly that quickly. That speed/agility in that one play is a better example of the movement from him I'm used to it. Much better. Hopefully that's where he starts, at a minimum, in training camp.

I think we will. Also encouraging was how he was beating the other centers down the court on the other end.

I think that it was a mixture of

1) His body changing
2) His legs being gone from the excessive training he put in post rehab
3) His mind not being anywhere on Summer League, which effected his effort which was his biggest problem above all else, was going through the motions. The death of his Grandfather and the national team drama he'd endured can be some big reasons for that.

The most important thing is, once his head was in the right place he closed out summer league very well and looked more his old self.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

Ya that play stood out to me too. Moved well, didn't stop, and ended in a jumper. Hope he gets 3pt range.. made em in the Dleague.. cmon player development!!
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

Zubac just looked really off his game, we know he can play better than that
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject:

I think if we get LBJ/PG13 he is the cheap starting center who plays 20-22mpg as the nominal Zaza/Bogut role. There's a place for him on this team in the future IMO.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

He looked a lot better in the last two SPL games. Seemed to move much better out there on the floor.

I can't wait till training camp!
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
I think Zubac needs to lose whatever weight he gained. Allegedly he has gained muscle to enhance his post game but it hasn't and has just made him look slow and uncoordinated. Right now he needs speed more than he needs strength.

Disagree. He's plenty young enough to put on weight AND get quicker and faster. He needs to get more athletic in every way at this point and adding muscle is the way to do that.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Actually, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. Zubac can be slimming down while still gaining weight, exchanging his baby fat for lean muscle. This is a good thing.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
dao wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Disagree. He's plenty young enough to put on weight AND get quicker and faster. He needs to get more athletic in every way at this point and adding muscle is the way to do that.
he looked a lot slower in SL than he did last season. If he has gained weight, and also gotten slower, then it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to think that the weight gain has contributed to the blatantly apparent and extremely disappointing decreased mobility.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
dao wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Actually, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. Zubac can be slimming down while still gaining weight, exchanging his baby fat for lean muscle. This is a good thing.
I misread the quote initially, I thought it said that he's been adding weight, but I see now that it says "muscle" and not necessarily weight. Obviously he needs to get stronger. But I don't want to see a guy with mobility problems gaining actively trying to get bigger, that's all.

The thing that pissed me off most about it though was the intent of gaining the muscle. Zu's post game is the least of his worries. We're not going to be feeding him in the post. I want him slimming down, increasing his mobility, and practicing his three point stroke smh.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
dao wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Problem is that didn't look to be the case. He still looks skinny-fat but with more bulk underneath the fat. He probably just needs to add more cardio to his weight lifting regime.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Iviza Zubac having fun in the gym

https://streamable.com/704lv
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

Before Zubac hurt his ankle he was playing great for a 20 year old center with limited experience. I was and still am very high on him and he seems like he can become a great shooter and passer and an okay rebounder and shot blocker. Overall defense will need a lot of work as his lateral quickness and explosiveness really needs to improve.

I was very disappointed in his summer league but he did get better as the games progressed.

Everything I have read about him before the summer league is that he is an extremely hard worker and had logged more gym time that any of his teammates. So maybe he was rusty playing 5 on 5 and maybe his legs where king of worn out. Seem plausible to me.

I am very interested to see how he is in training camp and I expect that he will be ready to go. I expect that we will see some of the following:

Much improved body that is stronger
Improved shooting which was already good
He will be quicker and more explosive but still a work in progress
He will be in great shape and will be able to run
He will be less awkward and he will show us that he has great hands
He will earn the 2nd string center job and be part of the rotation.

I think that many of us have a very negative tasted after the summer league because we were expecting big improvement and didn't see it. We saw regression and have continued to be negative.

We must remember that:

He was coming off a severe High ankle sprain that needed to be rehabbed
Summer league doesn't count for anything and you focus on getting ready for the season not the summer league
He probably wasn't in 5 on 5 playing shape
He legs looked shot and it took him a while to get comfortable
His focus is on being ready for training camp lets see how he does there
He has expanded his shooting range which is key in Luke's offense.
He is can be a great passer which is key in Luke's offense
He is still growing and growing into his body, still really young

We do have a negative data point based on the summer league but there is a temptation to over react and forget all the good things that he has already done. There hasn't been much put out on his continued development and progress since summer league so we lack good information.

I choose to be positive about Zubac until I have good data to prove otherwise. I see summer league as a blip and I am encouraged by his last couple of games. I think we may all be surprised as heck when we find out that he has improved by leaps and bounds. We will find out in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Well, I think this next season will determine how far Zubac goes with the Lakers!

He is under contract next season, but the season after that - the Lakers hold the $1.5mil option, so he will need to prove to them he is worth it.

Otherwise, there could be better options out there for a $1.5mil dollar back-up center!

Pressure is on him this year to progress and excel.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Before Zubac hurt his ankle he was playing great for a 20 year old center with limited experience. I was and still am very high on him and he seems like he can become a great shooter and passer and an okay rebounder and shot blocker. Overall defense will need a lot of work as his lateral quickness and explosiveness really needs to improve.

I was very disappointed in his summer league but he did get better as the games progressed.

Everything I have read about him before the summer league is that he is an extremely hard worker and had logged more gym time that any of his teammates. So maybe he was rusty playing 5 on 5 and maybe his legs where king of worn out. Seem plausible to me.

I am very interested to see how he is in training camp and I expect that he will be ready to go. I expect that we will see some of the following:

Much improved body that is stronger
Improved shooting which was already good
He will be quicker and more explosive but still a work in progress
He will be in great shape and will be able to run
He will be less awkward and he will show us that he has great hands
He will earn the 2nd string center job and be part of the rotation.

I think that many of us have a very negative tasted after the summer league because we were expecting big improvement and didn't see it. We saw regression and have continued to be negative.

We must remember that:

He was coming off a severe High ankle sprain that needed to be rehabbed
Summer league doesn't count for anything and you focus on getting ready for the season not the summer league
He probably wasn't in 5 on 5 playing shape
He legs looked shot and it took him a while to get comfortable
His focus is on being ready for training camp lets see how he does there
He has expanded his shooting range which is key in Luke's offense.
He is can be a great passer which is key in Luke's offense
He is still growing and growing into his body, still really young

We do have a negative data point based on the summer league but there is a temptation to over react and forget all the good things that he has already done. There hasn't been much put out on his continued development and progress since summer league so we lack good information.

I choose to be positive about Zubac until I have good data to prove otherwise. I see summer league as a blip and I am encouraged by his last couple of games. I think we may all be surprised as heck when we find out that he has improved by leaps and bounds. We will find out in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

When I heard about him perfecting his 3 point shot by doing 100 per day,, I began to question his approach to working on anything else. That's not nearly enough, and it made me lose confidence in other things he said he works on. I know he works hard but is he spending enough time on specific weaknesses?

I think he'll figure it out because he kept going up weakly and getting his shots blocked. When you get tired of that, you'll change. It can be fixed with minor adjustments, such as trying to dunk everything, shooting with a quicker release, or initiating body contact before shooting. It was a good sign that he finished the summer league with a good game.

Hopefully, since we've scaled back expectations from him, we may be pleasantly surprised by his improvements this summer.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I see potential in what Zubac showed last season in actual NBA games. I'm not really concerned about a few summer league games when there is actual NBA footage to look at. He seems to be a system player who would thrive more in organized basketball than the run and gun stuff we ran in Summer League. He is 20 and has played 1 limited NBA season. All this Zubac has to do this or that or else is way premature. Keep in mind that he had to adjust not only to NBA speed but also to being in a new country. Give the guy a a little break lol.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Ivica Zubac Facing Uncertain Second Season With The Lakers

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers surprised everyone this week with the unexpected signing of Andrew Bogut. It was previously believed that the team’s training camp roster was set and that there would be competition among several young players for the 15th and final spot on the regular season squad. Now it appears that spot belongs to Bogut assuming he shows he’s healthy.

http://www.lakersnation.com/ivica-zubac-facing-uncertain-second-season-with-the-lakers/2017/09/21/
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I see potential in what Zubac showed last season in actual NBA games. I'm not really concerned about a few summer league games when there is actual NBA footage to look at. He seems to be a system player who would thrive more in organized basketball than the run and gun stuff we ran in Summer League. He is 20 and has played 1 limited NBA season. All this Zubac has to do this or that or else is way premature. Keep in mind that he had to adjust not only to NBA speed but also to being in a new country. Give the guy a a little break lol.

We tend to forget that he suffered a season ending high ankle sprain. Maybe his slow start to the SPL was simply because he was unable to work out in the time between the end of the season and the SPL?

He looked much better in the last few games, like he has played his way back into shape. I am assuming he will be the Zu that we all know and love come training camp.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 194 of 290
Jump to: