Playoff-Bound or Not, Lakers Are Smart to Add Veteran Depth
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have almost no use for Wade - unless he helps them get off Deng (and to a lesser extent Clarkson) - if he wants to join LBJ in LA next summer, he can as a FA.

Dumping any players they value beyond Clarkson isn't happening - and the Bulls have no interest in Deng/Clarkson - I know, I've talked to someone with the Bulls. No way they take on that money for a third guard.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

What about getting Wade when the Bulls buy him out?
fakethefunk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

[quote="emplay"]The Lakers have almost no use for Wade - unless he helps them get off Deng (and to a lesser extent Clarkson) - if he wants to join LBJ in LA next summer, he can as a FA.

Emplay are you saying Lebron to LA is pretty much going to happen?

KOBE BRYANT
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

why for him?

why for the Lakers?

why period?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have at shooting guard: KCP (who signed with the prospect of starting - has the same agent as LBJ - Lakers look to screw him over?), Clarkson, Hart, Blue, Caruso and possibly Ball at times at the 2 - or even Ingram.

This season is about developing the young players - there's no obvious reason to bring on Wade
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Maybe LeBron comes - maybe he doesn't - it's a certainly a possibility
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The Lakers have at shooting guard: KCP (who signed with the prospect of starting - has the same agent as LBJ - Lakers look to screw him over?), Clarkson, Hart, Blue, Caruso and possibly Ball at times at the 2 - or even Ingram.

This season is about developing the young players - there's no obvious reason to bring on Wade

All the players have talked about winning. Just yesterday the Lakers talked about how there gonna wear a t-shirt called Lakers Mentality, if you think Lakers are expecting to suck then
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Wade has been working out at UCLa, her wife is into the LA lifestyle there is no reason why he wouldn't come here, he makes us into a playoff team,
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Says you....

Sorry but a bit of a homer take
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/09/20/dwyane-wade-lakers/

also, here's a basketball take against

I can say Lakers aren't interested in Wade unless it's a Deng exit strategy - then sure, they're very interested
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Good read Eric, and I admire your patience
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

lol, thx
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Great write up Eric! If the FO tries to trade Kuzma, I hope you interject and put an immediate stop to it. Deng isn't going anywhere. Lets stand pat and develop these kids. We are going to have a FUN team to watch this year. Its going to be nice not having to worry about the tank.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your real and realistic insights, emplay.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

At PF - the Lakers need to see what Randle is on the court this year - if they're not going to pay him, they're invested in Kuzma/Nance as prospects there.

Moving any of the three isn't in the cards - until they have a handle on who Randle is this year. If he's incredible - they keep him - if he's good, but not great - maybe they move him.

If he's terrible - what's the value they'll get back? Not much!

Thanks guys for the nice comments and interaction
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I guess we can afford to be a little optimistic about competing for the last playoff spot. I doubted we had any shot a month ago but admittedly it costs little emotionally to hope for the best. Who knows, for once maybe a key injury rips apart some other eight-slot competing club who'd otherwise elbow us aside come May.

I am not so convinced the added depth at center with Bogut (a historically fragile big man) is the move which could have best supported playoff hopes right now, but OK, let's hope it is the smart risk to run.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Good Article

Maybe watching/monitoring teams that need to add salary would be a main focus on trading Deng - hey, Lakers were able to trade Kwame Brown and got Pau Gaol for seemingly pennies (at least at that time, remembering Marc Gaol).

The Western Conference is indeed very LOADED with talent but a BIG maybe they can sneak in (no laughing please)

Answers to these questions could probably be an important factor on how the upcoming playoff picture will look like (minus any trades or injuries that occur over the season)

Will the Pelicans figure out how to work with their Twin Towers

Will the Rockets figure out how to best use CP3 and Harden

How far will the Utah Jazz fall

What "rabbits" will Pop pull out of his hat in San Antonio, especially with their again front court (Pau and LA) plus an ancient Manu.

How will the Clippers fare for the entire season given that their star Bfs are both injury prone, their European PG doesn't play defense at all (Beverly does) that will prompt Jordan to do things to compensate that will leave backdoor lobs for opposing centers (plus he will have a minimal impact on defense without CP3's lobs - again, recognizing the European PG's skills)

How will the Grizzs fare without Zebo and Allen?

Will Russ and PG13 be able to mesh and lead OKC to a higher level, as everyone anticipates

Trailblazers (without Carmelo / https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/9/21/16346996/carmelo-anthony-trade-rumors-portland-trail-blazers-new-york-knicks) have Damian, CJ and Nurkic as their leaders that are no guarantee that they will be able to improve or get into the playoffs
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

Good article Emplay

There are just to many unknowns at this point of the season to forecast any more moves. Wanting to dump Deng's contract is about the only given at this point in time.

Are we playoff bound? Lots of hope and speculation buy nobody knows at this point there are too many variables. We have 2 new starters that need to learn Luke's offensive and defensive schemes. We have a rookie point guard who may be great but we don't really know yet. We have another rookie that looks like a great all round forward with a great 3 pointer and the steal of the draft but we don't really know that for sure yet either. We know BI got taller, stronger, more explosive and improved his shot but will he play close to an all star level? And what about Randle is he going to be close to an all star level player or just a guy with a great 6 pack. Same thing with Nance to a lesser extent.

If Lopez fits in and plays great, if BI & Randle become stars and KCP fits in and continues to improve and Ball is the transcendental player many think he will be and the bench of Nance, Kuzma and Carkson is strong we should be a really good team and make the playoffs. If that happens we won't trade anyone to help get rid of Deng. We may make a trade but it will be to improve the team for the playoffs.

If we don't perform well and are not competitive for the playoffs that will be a different story. Then the team will have to make judgments on the current roster and decide how to maximize talent for the following year. We will have a lot of potential assets that have value and except for Ball and Ingram nobody will be safe. If Kuzma steps up and plays great he may become very difficult to trade.

Randle and Clarkson will both have value and if they are not performing at a long term keeper level they will be able to be moved for draft picks and expiring contracts and could interest teams that are rebuilding or competing for the playoffs. Lopez and KCP could also be attractive to teams and if they are not viewed as long term keepers they could go for draft picks.

Worst case: Ball and BI don't play very well. This may kill the sign 2 max contract guys as a viable strategy. If this happens we will probably focus on resigning Lopez, Randle and KCP and look to develop our current assets. Of course if we go deep into the playoffs that may be the same strategy too as we will already have some max guys on our current roster.

I tend to be optimistic and think that BI, Ball, Randle and Kuzma will become the core youth and play great this year. I think Lopez will continue to be really good and that KCP who is already good will improve and move up to the next level. I think that Nance, Zubac and Carkson will be significantly improved and form a great bench with Kuzma. I think we will be headed for the playoffs but I would not rule out a trade for max player during the season even if we have to give up key assets excluding BI and Ball.

So I really doubt anyone gets traded until we have a better understanding of their value and the performance of the team but once team direction and player value is better understood Magic Rob will not hesitate to pull the trigger to improve out team

Last edited by oldlakerfan on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Teams don't need to add salary though - that's more of a fallacy - and if a team wants to get closer to the minimum (they don't have to) - they do it with expiring contracts not long, multi-year dogs
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
WOW - dude - you've got to be kidding.

They're not trading Kuzma - Nance for Deng

That's really, really, really far off from what the Lakers would do

I think if the stretch Deng he becomes a $7.8 m problem from a cap perspective. Kuzma seems like he may be the real deal and actually become a really good starting player so I doubt the trade him. Something like a Clarkson, Nance and Deng for Wade makes some sense as it does not hurt us too much this year as Kuzma replaces Nance and Wade replaces Clarkson and it would free up $30 m in cap space for next year. Chicago gets 2 nice young talents and an old familiar veteran to provide leadership.

I like this cause it opens up serious cap space next year and frees up a spot for Kuzma to get serious minutes in the rotation.

I don't like this because I think Wade is a downgrade versus Clarkson and we hurt our depth.

Still I think the trade is reasonable on both sides
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

Also Bulls not interested
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Got any sense rather we will engage in trade talks involving Wade or is he trying to go back to Miami or Cleveland to play with LeBron?

See i told you Wade ain't coming...

Hope you can get over this...
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

yeah, i didn't get the POV that Wade was going to come to join the Lakers as a FA - made no sense for him, made no sense for the Lakers
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: