7.1 earthquake in Central Mexico

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: 7.1 earthquake in Central Mexico

More to come....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

going to be a high number of casualties...many images of large buildings that just crumbled.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

when I saw the thread title, I thought this was the same earthquake from a few weeks ago!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/strong-earthquake-shakes-mexico-damaging-buildings-and-causing-panic/2017/09/19/d2b044f6-9d6a-11e7-b2a7-bc70b6f98089_story.html

It looks pretty bad over 40 dead already. The 8.1 off the coast killed over 60 but this one will be worse.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

breaks my heart seeing the homeland hit like this. Hoping for the best for everyone.. unreal, my parents left mexico this morning to come to LA.. Barely missed the earthquake.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
breaks my heart seeing the homeland hit like this. Hoping for the best for everyone.. unreal, my parents left mexico this morning to come to LA.. Barely missed the earthquake.

wow, were they close to Mexico City?
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
when I saw the thread title, I thought this was the same earthquake from a few weeks ago!

Yeah, I was like why isn't my phone refreshing, is my signal weak here?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Sadly, it takes a big earthquake to realize what deathtraps a lot of these old buildings are.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Interesting - there was a 3.6 magnitude earthquake last night (11 PM) in Los Angeles - I definitely felt it. I'm wondering if it could be related to the larger one in Mexico. Could a smaller one like that foreshadow a larger one not that far away?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
22 wrote:

Yeah, I was like why isn't my phone refreshing, is my signal weak here?
Right?! Sucks man.

Praying for them
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Interesting - there was a 3.6 magnitude earthquake last night (11 PM) in Los Angeles - I definitely felt it. I'm wondering if it could be related to the larger one in Mexico. Could a smaller one like that foreshadow a larger one not that far away?

I felt that 3.6 also. And to answer your question, no they're not related. Two completely different fault systems - too far apart.

Lack of proper shear reinforcement in these multistory buildings is a killer. I look around downtown LA and some of our older building certainly don't look like they can withstand a good quake. The new ones, while they will certainly take damage are designed not to collapse. That's the theory anyway.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Successful building materials depend on the earthquake. Earthquakes have a frequency and materials with a similar frequency survive, while those vastly different typically collapse. Soil makes a big difference, earthquake waves move quickly through tight and solid soils while loose sedimentary soils allow the waves to expand. That is what we have in Southern California and also the previous Mexico City quake (former lake bed). Consider the last major earthquake in Southern California, at Fort Tejon. There was surface rupture at the epicenter but in the sandstone mountains there was little damage as the waves quickly spread from the area. The real damage was in the coastal areas of LA and San Diego. The current Uniform Building Code does a good job of addressing these issues.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

6+ in Tokyo, the rim of fire is active
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Successful building materials depend on the earthquake. Earthquakes have a frequency and materials with a similar frequency survive, while those vastly different typically collapse. Soil makes a big difference, earthquake waves move quickly through tight and solid soils while loose sedimentary soils allow the waves to expand. That is what we have in Southern California and also the previous Mexico City quake (former lake bed). Consider the last major earthquake in Southern California, at Fort Tejon. There was surface rupture at the epicenter but in the sandstone mountains there was little damage as the waves quickly spread from the area. The real damage was in the coastal areas of LA and San Diego. The current Uniform Building Code does a good job of addressing these issues.

they also need to be designed for a certain (probabilistic) magnitude and PGA. I'll bet the buildings that fell in Mexico weren't even seismically designed. Btw, Sounds like you know your stuff VLF.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: