Kobe Jersey Retirement: 12-18-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Haha. I like this story.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/2111308/daddy-why-are-they-calling-you-goat-nba-legend-kobe-bryant-reveals-how

Quote:
“It’s me, my wife [Vanessa], my eldest daughter Natalia and our middle child Gianna,” Kobe tells the Post. “And fans throughout the park keep walking by me saying ‘you’re the GOAT, you’re the GOAT!’

“Finally, Gianna turns to one of them and shouts ‘how rude’. I asked her what was wrong, and she says, ‘they keep calling you a goat, that is so rude!’

“Oh baby, I think they mean the Greatest Of All Time,” responded the retired American, before Gianna went on to thank the fan who commended her father’s golden 20 years as a Los Angeles Lakers legend.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.

because Kareem and Magic only wore one?
i think Kobe is greater than both

How many MVP awards did Kobe win? 1

How many did Kareem win? 6

How many did Magic win? 3

Time dulls the senses I guess.

Kobe is a great player, a gunner and an great closer, but come on- Magic is the best team leader of all time and Kareem is the all time scoring leader, six time MVP and the guy played amazing D. Kobe scored a lot and played great D, but he also leads the league in missed shots.

MVPs are one of the weakest measures of greatness ever. I think we all know Kobe should have 3-4. Kobe is more than just a "great player". T-Mac is a great player. Kobe is a legend. Two jerseys, one jersey, who cares? This is the lamest debate ever.

Kobe doesn't deserve 3-4 MVP's. Let's not forget that if the Hornets didn't have that mini late-season collapse then Kobe probably retires with no MVP'S.

I think Kobe definitely deserved the one he got.

I think you can make a strong case for him in 06, but that depends on how much you factor in team record. (That was the big split year where 5 or 6 guys got first place votes)

There are a few other years you can make a case for him, but I think other guys were more deserving. So I think he deserved 2.

Stupid argument as to why they need to retire 2 numbers for Kobe, he had awesome accomplishments on both numbers, so no one else will ever wear the other number as a Laker in the future if only one is retired. A number that nobody else will use in the future is a number that needs to be retired.

You seem to be confused. i was talking about MVP awards, not retiring numbers.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

rebirthoftheM wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
They can just put a "8/24" or just stack the numbers vertically. I don't see the need for 2 jersey's.

yUP. 2 jerseys would be awkward

I'm sure when the 3 point line into the NBA, there were many purists who objected to it. In time, everyone adjusted. Same case with zone defenses.

In this case, Kobe's jersey retirement presents a very unique situation. I don't think we're ever going to see another player have a historic, top 10 of all time 20 year career for a single franchise, while wearing two jerseys for exactly 10 years a piece, with both 10 year spans of HOF status. Hell it's never happened in NBA history.

So strike this off as unique situation that deserves a unique response.

I don't disagree with anything you said. We can all agree he played like an all-time great with both numbers. I just dont agree with 2 jerseys for philosophical reasons. I feel like 2 jerseys actually takes a special element away from Kobe's legacy. He was one man who went through a transformation on his journey. He wasn't 2 seperate people for 10 years. One man, one journey, one jersey.

As I said, like 2 chapters of a book, they tell a greater story when they're together. You wouldn't take 2 chapters and try to make each one a book on its own (don't be a smartass and mention Tolkien, you get my point ).

I would prefer to see 2 numbers on one jersey. That way when my future kid looks up and says "dad why does that guy have 2 numbers ", I'll say "it all started when the Lakers traded for the draft rights to Kobe Bryant... ". I don't want my kid to look up and say "oh neat there were 2 players with the same last name". Even if they frame them together its like twin brothers who played together or something. I don't know, its just not the same to me.

I just think Kobe's evolution and everything he went through is an incredible story. I feel like one jersey holding the weight of both numbers better symbolizes that story and encapsulates what he went through. The jersey represents the name, the number represents his story.

I didn't actually spend much time thinking about it. It probably seems like it from this post, but I'm just trying to articulate what was really more of a subconscious irritation.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd handle it like this: I'd retire both numbers and raise both jerseys to the rafters during the Dec. ceremony and leave them there for the rest of the reason.

From that point forward, I'd have only have one Kobe jersey in the rafters. I'd just change the number at the midpoint in the season.

But I wouldn't have two Kobe jerseys up there forever. You are honoring the man, not the numbers, and he should have one jersey like all the other greats.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject:

Jeanie Buss confirms Kobe Bryant’s getting a statue, discusses jersey retirement

Quote:
Jeanie gave a nod to Bryant having a statue outside of the arena he helped build while discussing retiring both of his jerseys in December.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/9/19/16337584/la-lakers-news-kobe-bryant-statue-jersey-retirement-jeanie-buss-quotes
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Kobe game winners in 3 minutes:

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Haha. I like this story.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/2111308/daddy-why-are-they-calling-you-goat-nba-legend-kobe-bryant-reveals-how

Quote:
“It’s me, my wife [Vanessa], my eldest daughter Natalia and our middle child Gianna,” Kobe tells the Post. “And fans throughout the park keep walking by me saying ‘you’re the GOAT, you’re the GOAT!’

“Finally, Gianna turns to one of them and shouts ‘how rude’. I asked her what was wrong, and she says, ‘they keep calling you a goat, that is so rude!’

“Oh baby, I think they mean the Greatest Of All Time,” responded the retired American, before Gianna went on to thank the fan who commended her father’s golden 20 years as a Los Angeles Lakers legend.

Nice story. Thank you for sharing.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Cute story

BTW they are retiring both his jerseys this was announced weeks ago.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe it's this Monday!

Quote:
To celebrate the retirement of Los Angeles Lakers player Kobe Bryant’s legendary “8” & “24” jerseys, the Lakers will host KOBELAND, a street festival to take place on Chick Hearn Court at L.A. LIVE on Monday, December 18 from 4:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. Admission is free and open to the public.

The complimentary festival will feature a variety of interactive games, a Kobe-inspired Ferris Wheel, a special basketball shootout, photo opportunities, branded merchandise and a live deejay. Nike will also have a prominent presence at the festival including a Kobe “8” & “24” branded truck onsite.

Bryant’s Jersey Retirement Ceremony will take place during halftime at the Lakers vs. Golden State Warriors game on Monday, December 18. Spectrum SportsNet will begin coverage of the pregame festivities starting at 5:30 P.M. and will air the game live at 7:30 P.M. on Spectrum SportsNet and Spectrum Deportes.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/171214-kobeland?cid=tw
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I MISS KOBE
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Have they said who's going to introduce Kobe? My guess is Phil.
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Any word on what the giveaway will be?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

@AlexKennedyNBA
As of now, the average ticket price for the Lakers-Warriors game on Dec. 18th is $685.28, according to @TickPick. This is the game when Kobe Bryant's jerseys (No. 8 and No. 24) will be retired.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

I came across my Ultimate Jordan dvd collection the other day and thought damn I can't believe we never got some sort of Kobe blu ray collection. You could just update the Kobe Bryant's Muse doc with his final season/game and jersey retirement put it on blu ray with a collection of his best games.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject:

MVP! MVP! MVP!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I MISS KOBE

Imagine prime Kobe with this squad instead of KCP...
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@AlexKennedyNBA
As of now, the average ticket price for the Lakers-Warriors game on Dec. 18th is $685.28, according to @TickPick. This is the game when Kobe Bryant's jerseys (No. 8 and No. 24) will be retired.

if i lived in the States and wasnt broke, id definitely pay that
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nba.com/kobe-week#/
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing (and hoping) Shaq will be there and a part of the celebration. I know a lot of people are saying Phil will introduce him, and they are probably right, but I've had enough of Phil for a while. Especially with the whole Lebron, Carmelo, and Hornacek drama. I know it shouldn't affect us Lakers fans in anyway, but I am glad Jeanie is with Jay Mohr right now. Maybe that'll prevent her from ever hiring Phil in any capacity. Great NBA coach though and he did a lot of really amazing things, especially for the Lakers. IDK. Call it Phil Fatigue.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Warriors-to-watch-Kobe-Bryant-halftime-jersey-Kerr-12436064.php

Quote:
Warriors to watch Kobe Bryant’s halftime jersey retirement

The Warriors will forgo their normal halftime routine Monday in Los Angeles to watch Kobe Bryant have his two jersey numbers retired.

“Just the experience in seeing one of the greatest players in the history of the game getting his jersey retired, and we happen to be there,” Golden State head coach Steve Kerr said after practice Saturday.

The Los Angeles Lakers will retire both of Kobe Bryant's numbers on December 18th during a game against the Golden State Warriors.

"I'm not going to keep them in the locker room to watch tape of the first half. The players would look at me like I was nuts. Something interesting is going on the floor. Let's go out there."

Shortly after Kerr’s comments, Lakers president Jeanie Buss tweeted, “Of course they are invited! We expected they would want to pay their respects to one of the greatest to ever play in the NBA.”

Bryant will have both his No. 8 and No. 24 jerseys raised to the rafters at halftime of Monday night’s Lakers-Warriors game at Staples Center.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject:

Crazy the game is not going to be on TNT or ESPN. I'm going to be begging for online links.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Crazy the game is not going to be on TNT or ESPN. I'm going to be begging for online links.

You don't have NBA TV?

NBA.com may have it.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
la4win wrote:

You don't have NBA TV?

NBA.com may have it.

No, I would have to pay extra for NBA TV to be included in my cable.
It would be nice if NBA.com live stream it.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
la4win wrote:

You don't have NBA TV?

NBA.com may have it.

Just google r/nbastreams. Living in the UK that's basically the only way I get to watch a bunch of games live.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
la4win wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
la4win wrote:

You don't have NBA TV?

NBA.com may have it.

Just google r/nbastreams. Living in the UK that's basically the only way I get to watch a bunch of games live.

Thank you
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15
Jump to: