Julius Randle Splashing Threes In Practice!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kei122
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Julius Randle Splashing Threes In Practice!

Julius Randle has been working to improve his three point shooting for this coming season. Even though he’s shooting in an empty gym, his stroke looks much improved.

LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

Hope this translates.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

I can't remember the last time I saw an NBA player practice a 2 point jump shot. lol
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

Looking good from the corners- I don't even care if he can't make them from other parts of the arc, if he could reliably hit the corner 3's that would be amazing!!
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

I'm interested in seeing how his release looks in game. His gather in previous years was too long/slow to consistently get his shot off. It sounds like he's worked with his trainer to make it more fluid/quick, so hopefully it translates to games.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

He's not getting too much lift off the ground, but he's still hitting them. From the look of his shirt, it seems as if he's been working out for a while. So that most likely explains tired legs.
I'm excited about Randle. Bully ball and 3s! Cant wait.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Sasha Vujacic
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
He's not getting too much lift off the ground, but he's still hitting them. From the look of his shirt, it seems as if he's been working out for a while. So that most likely explains tired legs.

In watching him the past two seasons, his jumpers normally don't have much lift and they are usually flat, even when they go in. But like with Ball, as long as he can get them off quickly enough and they actually go in I will not be complaining.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
12 wrote:

In watching him the past two seasons, his jumpers normally don't have much lift and they are usually flat, even when they go in. But like with Ball, as long as he can get them off quickly enough and they actually go in I will not be complaining.

Agreed.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

Nice to hear he's making effort, progress. If he can convert at even just one spot around the arc at a reasonable clip (~ .350+), it will help the whole Laker thing.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

I'll wait until I see this during the season before I get excited. Gym hero stories in the offseason come around like clockwork and they rarely live up to the hype.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Hes become unguardable now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I think Julius should start looking for the 3 ball shot as a primary scoring option. Seemed last year, he would take them as a last resort. But if he can start out taking a couple early and within the flow of the offense I think it will do wonders for his confidence.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I like seeing the fluidity in his stroke now. No more of that hitch we've seen before as he raises that ball over his shoulders. Let's hope it translates. He should run up and down then shoot his set. That will help him simulate how it feels to shoot with tired legs running a full game.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

1st, can we please stop with the "this is like Sasha being a great shooter in practice (even though there was no proof)" narative? If he was that good, why couldn't it be seen during warmups?

Julius has been doing this all summer with videos and witness reports of 25 to 30+ consecutive 3's. He shoots 1000 a day and looks mighty comfortable now, yet doubting Thomases are everywhere. In the video he's sweaty and has every reason to be fatigued. This former bad shooter (2 years ago) has turned into a good one. Julius' outside shooting will without a doubt translate in games.

Julius with jump shot will look like Kuzma did in July, only stronger and with a better handle.
He's going to be significantly improved, something even doubters in denial will have to acknowledge. The Lakers would be fools to let him walk away.

Last edited by lakersboy on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

He starts his stroke so low and that weird one leg forward motion is still so offputting. I feel like with game speed and fatigue it's just gonna be catapulted up again.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
He starts his stroke so low and that weird one leg forward motion is still so offputting. I feel like with game speed and fatigue it's just gonna be catapulted up again.

Kevin Martin shot began far lower than Julius does. Ball does too. Lets stop pretending people are trying to lock Julius down at the 3 point line. He's usually wide open out there. Him being a threat creates more space for everyone.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
levon wrote:

Kevin Martin shot began far lower than Julius does. Ball does too. Lets stop pretending people are trying to lock Julius down at the 3 point line. He's usually wide open out there. Him being a threat creates more space for everyone.

No doubt, I just feel like this is not going to translate even given the space.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
1st, can we please stop with the "this is like Sasha being a great shooter in practice (even though there was no proof)" narative? If he was that good, why couldn't it be seen during warmups?

Julius has been doing this all summer with videos and witness reports of 25 to 30+ consecutive 3's. He shoots 1000 a day and looks mighty comfortable now, yet doubting Thomases are everywhere. In the video he's sweaty and has every reason to be fatigued. This former bad shooter (2 years ago) has turned into a good one. Julius' outside shooting will without a doubt translate in games.

Julius with jump shot will look like Kuzma did in July, only stronger and with a better handle.
He's going to be significantly improved, something even doubters in denial will have to acknowledge. The Lakers would be fools to let him walk away.

Hate (or maybe love) always being this guy, but, there's a crap ton of good practice shooters, man. Go to Jevel Mcgees insta, he doesn't miss 3s. Zach Lowe has tweeted that Kris Humphries went 70/85 with him watching. Mozgov had that practice video last year. Aaron Gordon doesn't miss in his videos. Any LGer who was good in HS, could train for a month and shoot 40/55 on 3s shooting around.. I think most NBA players shoot really well in an empty gym.

His shot is muchhhh better than it was before. But we still have to wait and see if it translates well in games.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Hate (or maybe love) always being this guy, but, there's a crap ton of good practice shooters, man.

This is my take on Randle's supposed shooting improvement. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that he goes out there and dies for and plays every game like it's his last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about practice. I know he's supposed to be there. I know he's supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see Randle play, you see him play haven't you? You've seen him give everything he's got, right? But we're talking about practice right now. We talking about pr...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Lmaooo you went in on that practice rant
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:

Yeah, this is a guy who broke his own leg by catching his foot on the back of his other ankle. I've never seen anyone in sports do that before or since. A person's natural gait isn't something they can easily change. I think for what you said to be minimized, he needs to focus on consistency and not fling em up simply because he thinks he needs to shoot more from the perimeter. Control and patience are his biggest allies. A.C. Green developed a 15-18 footer that was reliable, but he didn't chuck up shots and he had a slow release. All Randle needs to do is play within himself in general like A.C. He's not going to prove to defenses that he's a knockdown shooter over night. It's going to take time and consistency. The hastier he is to prove he's improved, the more likely he'll shoot them marginally faster and more wildly.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Lmaooo you went in on that practice rant

I'm all perturbed like AI now.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
levon wrote:

Yeah, this is a guy who broke his own leg by catching his foot on the back of his other ankle. I've never seen anyone in sports do that before or since. A person's natural gait isn't something they can easily change. I think for what you said to be minimized, he needs to focus on consistency and not fling em up simply because he thinks he needs to shoot more from the perimeter. Control and patience are his biggest allies. A.C. Green developed a 15-18 footer that was reliable, but he didn't chuck up shots and he had a slow release. All Randle needs to do is play within himself in general like A.C. He's not going to prove to defenses that he's a knockdown shooter over night. It's going to take time and consistency. The hastier he is to prove he's improved, the more likely he'll shoot them marginally faster and more wildly.

That is a factor. Especially with Julius - because he's a better shooter when his lower body is calm, and when he's not all "adrenalined up" into the shot, as his former Shot Coach Tracy Murray would say. He twists less when he's relaxed into his shot.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject:

I love how we can be so critical of a guy who is working his butt off to get better. We should hope everyone works as hard as Randle is.

It take practice, hard work and dedication plus a lot of God given talent to become a great basketball player. Well God gave him great talent and his is doing everything possible to take the gifts God gave him and maximize them by patiently working hard to refine his skills.

You can already see some results from his hard work and this season he will take his game to another level. But that won't be the end of it but the beginning of the making of a superstar. He will be a great defender, great passer, great rebounder, great shooter who is elite in transition on a team that focuses on the transition game. He will be a leader and a force within the league.

He will be an example that others will try an emulate. He will help lead this team to greatness with Ball and BI and will be compared to Lebron not Green.

But without practice and more practice and dedication to improving that is on par with how Kobe practiced. Kobe was great because of God given talent and hard work in practice. All Randle needs now is a nickname.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: