OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

The problem is he is a third slow footed plodding center. We seem attracted to that type.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The problem is he is a third slow footed plodding center. We seem attracted to that type.

has defensive upside and a post game and ability to stretch the floor and is good at rolling to the basket in the pick and roll and a good screen setter.

All those things make him an ideal center type in 'this' era still.

To be honest as his body develops if his upside is Marc Gasol, that kind of center works just fine in "this current era"
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject:

Look Zubac is still probably growing and probably added a couple of inches already. The guy is huge and still growing into his body.

Will he ever be explosive and quick a foot? Doubt it.

Can he become quicker, stronger and more explosive with hard work? Can he get that vertical leap into the 20's? You bet.

He has a feel for the game, great court vision that can't be taught, he is huge with soft hands and a full assortment of low post moves. He already has a decent outside shot that just needs to be stretched out to the 3 point line.

I think he is a great prospect and talent but I am not sure how many minutes he will get this year as he still needs to mature physically.

We are going to be competing for the playoffs and his development will have to take a back seat to winning so he will have to earn his time on the court and he just may not be ready to do that right now.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject:

This could be a good motivator for Zu. I remember last year, he was asked if he is ready to start and he said yes. They asked Mozgov if Zu was ready to start and he said no.

Perhaps, Mozzy was right and some early success got to Zu's head. And perhaps, this signing will motivate him to play back in to the backup center role.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

has defensive upside and a post game and ability to stretch the floor and is good at rolling to the basket in the pick and roll and a good screen setter.

To be honest as his body develops if his upside is Marc Gasol, that kind of center works just fine in "this current era"

As long as we realize that Marc Gasol doesn’t fit in this current era. Their style of play is the main reason Memphis has been mediocre.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
This could be a good motivator for Zu. I remember last year, he was asked if he is ready to start and he said yes. They asked Mozgov if Zu was ready to start and he said no.

Perhaps, Mozzy was right and some early success got to Zu's head. And perhaps, this signing will motivate him to play back in to the backup center role.

one thing that might be positive is that Zubac can talk with Bogut in Croatian language, so Bogut can share his knowledge to Zubac easier. Bogut IS Aussie but of Croatian descent and speaks Croatian. (and our athletes seem to perform better when they have somebody else from/with ties to Croatia...knock on wood that it happens with Zu too)
Killacam31
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

As long as we realize that Marc Gasol doesn’t fit in this current era. Their style of play is the main reason Memphis has been mediocre.

I would say the main reason they haven't advanced is not having a dependable scorer on the wing.

Marc probably shouldnt work in this era but he is just ridiculously skilled. He's an outlier. I don't see Zu ever getting to that level of dribbling, passing, shooting or post moves. The Marc comp is almost as ridiculous as the KD comp for BI.

With that said, I agree that he would be a nice cheap option if we get PG and LeBron.

But has to show improved mobility on defense, that was a concern even before summer league.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakersreporter/status/912404344082857985

Good to hear. He took his bad SL performance to heart.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakersreporter/status/912404344082857985

Good to hear. He took his bad SL performance to heart.

Interesting! I thought it was coming off the injury. Well sounds like he should be ready for the season!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Laker Film Room‏ @LakerFilmRoom 1m1 minute ago
More
Zubac told me that he wasnt ready for the faster pace in Summer League. Says he's adjusted in the open runs since then & is more comfortable

lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Great to see a player take accountability for their own mistakes, in his case, just overconfidence. Surprised he was that overconfident considering he was barely an NBA player last year, but at least he's working out of it. Hope to see some good run of him in preseason.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Quote:
More
Zubac told me that he wasnt ready for the faster pace in Summer League. Says he's adjusted in the open runs since then & is more comfortable

Hopefully we'll see that this season in the minutes that he does get
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Wrong imo.

Marc Gasol would be just as important.

He's a great defensive center with a post game and a mid range. You seriously think that "doesn't fit" in today's era?

What "doesn't fit" in this current era more than anything is centers that can't play defense, that's about it.

If a center can play defense then it doesn't matter how limited other aspects of their games are. Is Rudy Gobert irrelevant because he has no jump shot and his offense usually comes off interior looks? No!!

Here's the reality of this 'era'. If a Center CAN'T play defense, they can't get away with just being a post player. That's essentially it in microcosm. THAT is what the 'dinosaur' is.

If a center can't play defense but can stretch the floor or pass, he's considered useful.

But defense is the priority. A center that plays defense but can't shoot is still considered vital to a team.

A center that can't play defense OR shoot is considered a liability.

Let's not act like if Jahlil Okafor could play defense even moderately well, that he wouldn't be considered a star.

Last edited by MJST on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What? Marc hit over 100 3's last season shooting at 38% from 3. He had a Vorp of 4 and was at a positive 2.2 in DBPM and a 2.1 in OBPM. He is probably the perfect type of C you want in this era. He is a great defender and a offensive player that can shoot the 3 and also post up.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Quote:
More

I called that when I saw his first summer league game this year. It was pretty obvious that Lonzos pace wasn't working for him. Russell's pace was perfect for him, but hopefully he adjusts. He may have to drop some lbs before he's himself in this offense though.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What? Marc hit over 100 3's last season shooting at 38% from 3. He had a Vorp of 4 and was at a positive 2.2 in DBPM and a 2.1 in OBPM. He is probably the perfect type of C you want in this era. He is a great defender and a offensive player that can shoot the 3 and also post up.

Bogut worked fine too starting for GSW. I think people sometimes take the concept of positionless and small ball too literally. I think you still need a bigger body on the roster esp when you might need to match for size. But you want to have an athletic forward you can run at C and mix and match. GSW runs Draymond a lot there but half the game, and sometimes more, its Zaza and McGee.

To me, THAT is the point of positionless basketball. Not that you play whoever wherever, but, that you mix and match and find the right combo based on who you are playing and what is working.

That said, Marc Gasol would be fine in a GSW style offense. Maybe not for 35 MPG, but for 20-something minutes or so he is essentially Zaza with defense and a jumpshot out to the 3 pt line
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject:

Lakernation reports that Zubac has been working out like crazy and is now down to 6% body fat. It also says he feels quicker and more explosive.

These guys can spend a couple of months in the gym and work out like crazy and get significant results.

I will be interested to see if there is any explosion going to the hoop and quickness on defense.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject:

That's good to hear. I was very disappointed with how he played in the SPL. Not only did he look slow but he looked like he was out of shape. Perhaps that was a wake up call for him. Will be interesting to see how he plays in training camp.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Lakernation reports that Zubac has been working out like crazy and is now down to 6% body fat. It also says he feels quicker and more explosive.

These guys can spend a couple of months in the gym and work out like crazy and get significant results.

I will be interested to see if there is any explosion going to the hoop and quickness on defense.

Lopez was signing his praise in his media day interview. He said that Zu has an incredible work ethic and has such and advanced offensive game for being so young.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:

NO! he is absolutely NOT down to 6% body fat, he lost 6% of his body fat. I appreciate the effort but by signing Bogut, Zub has got to be on the trade block. Maybe we'll showcase him at some point but I wouldn't get too attached to him.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

Alright Zu, we forgive you for the crappy SL performance. It kinda makes sense now when he says that he expected to come in and cruise his way to 20 points a game, because that's exactly what it looked like. He was simply unprepared and lacked the energy and hunger he showed in his first year. It's a bit surprising that he's already taking things for granted, given how dedicated and hard of a worker he appears to be, but he's still just a kid and it's good that he learned this lesson early on. Nothing is ever given, everything is earned...
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

NO! he is absolutely NOT down to 6% body fat, he lost 6% of his body fat. I appreciate the effort but by signing Bogut, Zub has got to be on the trade block. Maybe we'll showcase him at some point but I wouldn't get too attached to him.

How does Bogut, the injured 32-year old one-year rental, make Zu expendable?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Bogut doesn’t even plan on playing every game, he makes no one expendable.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Bogut doesn’t even plan on playing every game, he makes no one expendable.

Agree with VLF. Zu is not on the trading block because we brought in Bogut. Zu is up and coming and Bogut is in the crafty veteran phase. The timing is fine. By the time Zu would be ready for big minutes, Bogut will be coaching.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

How does Bogut, the injured 32-year old one-year rental, make Zu expendable?

ok? between Lopez and Bogut playing C, then Julius moving up to C in small ball lineups, maybe even Nance, how many minutes are left for Zu? Is Zu going to start over Lopez or play ahead of Bogut? Plus he's got Thomas Bryant probably coming in behind him next year for the emergency backup role at C.

If Deng can actually play this year, he'll probably log minutes at PF probably pushing Julius and Nance up during those lineups. Or, Luke will sit Julius and Nance along with Lopez and Bogut all at the same time to play Zu? How long do you think that will last? or perhaps Brandon "Untradeable" Ingram rides the bench so Deng and Kuzma can play more along with Zu?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 195 of 290
Jump to: