OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

The Lakers likely won’t play with a 15 man rotation, more than likely 8-9. That means that some youngsters will sit and/or get time with the South Bay team. We don’t have to trade them.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

No problem with Zubac being 3rd in depth at C spot. He is still so young and new to the NBA, we have two great vets he can learn from at his position...maybe it's a tiny step back for him, but I could easily see how it helps him take a huge step forward next year
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

Luke likes vets. We all thought Zu was the primary backup up to about a week ago now, oh, hello Andrew Bogut. No Bogut won't play every game and his minutes will be limited but if Lopez gets 20 minutes/game, Bogut will obviously sub in before Zu most games and he gets 12 minutes/game, then you've got Julius and Nance rotating up to C with Deng possibly playing alongside Ingram and what's left for Zu?

I don't really care but... it seems fairly obvious they wanted Bogut's experience over Zu's "potential".
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Lakernation reports that Zubac has been working out like crazy and is now down to 6% body fat. It also says he feels quicker and more explosive.

These guys can spend a couple of months in the gym and work out like crazy and get significant results.

I will be interested to see if there is any explosion going to the hoop and quickness on defense.

I remember hearing the same type of thing about young Bynum and I watched closely. There were slight improvements over a summer, but to see the difference you had to look at his overall affect on games, not for Nance type dunks or lightning quick movement.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Did Zu get interviewed yesterday?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
Lakernation reports that Zubac has been working out like crazy and is now down to 6% body fat. It also says he feels quicker and more explosive.

These guys can spend a couple of months in the gym and work out like crazy and get significant results.

I will be interested to see if there is any explosion going to the hoop and quickness on defense.

I remember hearing the same type of thing about young Bynum and I watched closely. There were slight improvements over a summer, but to see the difference you had to look at his overall affect on games, not for Nance type dunks or lightning quick movement.

Drew dropped a lot of fat from HS to his rookie season, but he was still uncoordinated. He continued to get leaner and stronger in year 2 but still didn't know how to utilize his athleticism and length. I distinctly remember that he had a hard time getting the timing on lobs. Year 3 is when everything finally came together.

Zubac will never be as athletic as Drew was (prior to the knee injuries), but we have to remember how young Zubac still is. He could very well end up turning into a beast by year 3 or 4, so we have to show patience and allow him to physically mature before jumping to conclusions.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Luke likes vets. We all thought Zu was the primary backup up to about a week ago now, oh, hello Andrew Bogut. No Bogut won't play every game and his minutes will be limited but if Lopez gets 20 minutes/game, Bogut will obviously sub in before Zu most games and he gets 12 minutes/game, then you've got Julius and Nance rotating up to C with Deng possibly playing alongside Ingram and what's left for Zu?

I don't really care but... it seems fairly obvious they wanted Bogut's experience over Zu's "potential".

No draft pick, no tank. If this were a tank year then Zu would get plenty of minutes, like the 2nd half of last season.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Malinka said they wanted Bogut and then ran it by Luke. Last season Zubac didn't pay his dues like many youngsters do. He worked hard, or at least he thought he did, but it wasn't enough. He's young and inexperienced, but talented and not as good as hes going to be.

When the team can't afford Bropez next season, are they going to rely on 33 year old Bogut to be their everyday center? Or will Bryant be the guy they attract LeBron and George with?
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Malinka said they wanted Bogut and then ran it by Luke. Last season Zubac didn't pay his dues like many youngsters do. He worked hard, or at least he thought he did, but it wasn't enough. He's young and inexperienced, but talented and not as good as hes going to be.

When the team can't afford Bropez next season, are they going to rely on 33 year old Bogut to be their everyday center? Or will Bryant be the guy they attract LeBron and George with?

not to beat a dead horse on this subject but... I would be curious why Bogut would decide as a free agent, who could have gone to a number of different teams would come here for only one season, for not a lot of money - which is what a lot of people seem to be assuming. Obviously he would not start or play huge minutes but what's to keep us from getting another Center next year or Lopez for a lot less money if everything works out with Bogut as the backup again next season?

Also, Magic let it slip that if we didn't sign Bogut, we were going to sign another Center - and I have no idea who that could have been, it could have been Patrick Ewing for all I know...

So Magic is saying to Zu, "not that we don't think you can carry the backup Center role yet but... we don't think you can carry the backup Center role yet"...
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

Lets just say Zubac is in great shape and can now jump 14" and has improved his lateral quickness. I think he has a chance to be the 2nd string center.

While he wasn't interviewed, a big miss IMO, Brook Lopez, according to another poster did comment that Zubac offense was very advanced.

I agree with Lopez. Zubac has a great assortment of low post moves and he has a decent outside shot though he needs to stretch it out to the 3 point line.

He is a great passer out of the low post and even in movement.

He runs the break. He may not have lateral quickness but he can run down the court pretty good.

He is okay as a shot blocker

He is ok as a rebounder

Even though he can block some shots he doesn't get into position to defend quick enough and gets beat too often. Not the rim protector we need.

Anyway that is not a bad back up center and if we don't resign Lopez and don't sign Cousins we are going to need a center and it would be good if Zubac had some more game experience.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

not to beat a dead horse on this subject but... I would be curious why Bogut would decide as a free agent, who could have gone to a number of different teams would come here for only one season, for not a lot of money - which is what a lot of people seem to be assuming. Obviously he would not start or play huge minutes but what's to keep us from getting another Center next year or Lopez for a lot less money if everything works out with Bogut as the backup again next season?

Also, Magic let it slip that if we didn't sign Bogut, we were going to sign another Center - and I have no idea who that could have been, it could have been Patrick Ewing for all I know...

So Magic is saying to Zu, "not that we don't think you can carry the backup Center role yet but... we don't think you can carry the backup Center role yet"...

I hope Lopez would sign for less but with the up tempo high scoring Lonzo is about to initiate, I don't see why he settles for pennies at the height of his career.

Imo, players like Bogut have been persuaded by mgmt to truly believe in the possibility this team is vastly underrated and like Cassius Clay, or Namath's Jets, could shock the world somehow, therefore, he wants to be part of that history. Or, at the very least, Lonzo's passing could earn him more next year than hes passing up this year. Or both.

I agree Zubac isn't starting material with Lopez around, but he was handed a roster spot last year and doesn't know what it's like to be a hungry player. Bogut being here will change that quickly. I don't believe it means he has to or will be traded though.

Last edited by lakersboy on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

Bogut didn’t have other offers
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I had a nice chat with Zu yesterday. Here's my article on why I think Laker fans are being premature in dismissing him. Enjoy.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/09/26/lakers-training-camp-dont-give-ivica-zubac/

Nice read!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

Walton said Zubac looks “great”, has gotten his body fat % down to 8%, when it was at one point in the high teens. Team calling him “8%.”
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

While everybody jumped to the negative conclusions regarding Bogut's signing, shouldn't we consider the major positive that we now have an established vet center with a similar body type to Zu available to him 24/7 as a mentor? Or the fact that he's been an All-NBA caliber defender? And he's Croatian and can speak the same language as Zu apparently (this was news to me)??
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

I think this increases the chances of Zub staying beyond next year, as he will be cheap to re-sign when he hits FA.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
@LakersReporter

Walton said Zubac looks “great”, has gotten his body fat % down to 8%, when it was at one point in the high teens. Team calling him “8%.”

Good job, 8%!!!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
@LakersReporter

Good job, 8%!!!

That was also his PER during Summer League.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
@LakersReporter

Good job, 8%!!!

Ouch!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
@LakersReporter

Good job, 8%!!!

He averaged 10.9 and 5.4 and 1.1 blocks in 20 minutes per game. You guys are condemning him for those numbers while doing the opposite for others.

Interesting technique
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Glad to hear Zu has been working hard. It would be great to see him show the promise he did last season after that iffy Summer League. It is extremely great to hear he's down to 8 percent body fat, which is amazing for a kid of his size and age. I would love it if Zu earned the backup or even the starting center role by the end of the season somehow. But either way, his work ethic bodes well for his future here. Major props to him too for acknowledging his issues in Summer League and working to address them. Now he just has to show it on the court.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Zu became the first Laker to follow me on Twitter today so we're basically best friends now.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b5/22/a0/b522a06edb602a195d60040552b090ce.gif

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
@LakersReporter

Good job, 8%!!!

He averaged 10.9 and 5.4 and 1.1 blocks in 20 minutes per game. You guys are condemning him for those numbers while doing the opposite for others.

Interesting technique

not sure who "you guys" is referring to, but in my opinion, Zubac looked like crap during Summer League.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
defense wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
@LakersReporter

Good job, 8%!!!

Interesting technique

not sure who "you guys" is referring to, but in my opinion, Zubac looked like crap during Summer League.

I'm doing that whole thing on LG where we lump everyone into the same hoop.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I took a flyer on him at my fantasy team (per minute production counts in this one), so I hope you are right.

I believe the addition of Bogut will be beneficial for Zubac in the long term; there's a lot to learn from him and the language will bring them closer. English is not a problem for Zubac, but as an expat myself, I know it's great when you have someone who speaks your mother tongue. I can't think of a better mentor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 196 of 290
Jump to: