Hurricane Maria

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Hurricane Maria

Hurricane forces seem to be increasing. I wonder if global warming is part of the reason? Warmer water is one element for increasing force.

Hurricane Maria hammers Puerto Rico with force not seen in ‘modern history’

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

My grandpa back in PR says these are the worst winds he has seen in his lifetime.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

Climate change is a factor in everything, but saying that these hurricanes are the product of climate change would be a gross overstatement. This year has produced a bumper crop of big hurricanes, but it isn't unprecedented. The last few years have been relatively quiet in the Atlantic. I suspect that this year is more about the law of averages than about climate change.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Climate change is a factor in everything, but saying that these hurricanes are the product of climate change would be a gross overstatement. This year has produced a bumper crop of big hurricanes, but it isn't unprecedented. The last few years have been relatively quiet in the Atlantic. I suspect that this year is more about the law of averages than about climate change.

yeah the only thing different about this year is the rapid increase in intensity of the storms.....they are going from a Cat 1 to a Cat 4 or 5 within 24 hours. I listened to a guy on the weather channel explain why that is happening, and he pointed out it is cyclical about every 9-14 years....and goes back for most of the century.

Don't ask me to explain or repeat the science (something about directional pressures and fronts), because I did not fully understand beyond there is a specific reason it is happening, and it has happened several times throughout recent history.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I am familiar and have spent time in Fajardo and San Juan, and early reports suggest both areas were hit hard. I can recall specific neighborhoods, especially close to El Yunque, that did not appear to have many homes that would hold up well to a powerful hurricane. Hoping for the best, and a timely recovery for PR.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Live Hurricane Maria leaves 100 per cent of Puerto Rico without power - latest news

LINK

Quote:
Hurricane Maria pummeled Puerto Rico, bringing "catastrophic" 155mph winds and knocking out power to the island's entire population of 3.4 million.

The "monster" storm was the strongest to hit the US territory in nearly a century.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

oh man PR may never be the same. This is horrible
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Ben Vereen wrote:

It's apparently 4-6 months without power. How do you even recover from that?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Ben Vereen wrote:

I heard that estimate also....sorry, but that is unacceptable. This is U.S. governed territory, and I can't accept that we will not do everything within our power to ensure fellow Americans do not have to suffer without basic electricity for that time period.

Pay professionals and their employers enough to make it advantageous for them to contract in PR for a time period, and they will go down there and expedite the work. We have big ships to carry their big trucks down there.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Ben Vereen wrote:

I heard that estimate also....sorry, but that is unacceptable. This is U.S. governed territory, and I can't accept that we will not do everything within our power to ensure fellow Americans do not have to suffer without basic electricity for that time period.

Pay professionals and their employers enough to make it advantageous for them to contract in PR for a time period, and they will go down there and expedite the work. We have big ships to carry their big trucks down there.

Pretty much this. They've fought alongside us since WW1.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Little by little more images are coming out and it looks (bleep) crazy. I'm really worried about my friend who lives there. The whole island is without power and apparently even cell towers are out I don't know when I can get in contact with them again.

!...
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Ben Vereen wrote:

I was getting ready to book a vacation in Puerto Rico in November
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

It's really bad guys.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Ben Vereen wrote:

The 4-6 months is for complete restoration. Given the state of the power grid, this is not shocking, though it is tragic. Some of you may have heard that there were some recent legal issues about the ability of Puerto Rico to file for bankruptcy. It was specifically Puerto Rico's public utilities that were trying to seek bankruptcy protection, so that they could restructure their debt. The Supreme Court ruled against them. That this would happen so soon after that ruling is a horrible irony.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

just thinking out loud, but beyond every ones health and safety, could this storm actually be beneficial to PR in the long term? Considering their economy has been in a long term recession, and unemployment rates exceed 10%; could the large capital injection (Federal Aid, Insurance, Charity, etc.) that the island will incur in the upcoming months be an economic bump that could lead to long term improvements and sustainable growth? The disaster could even open up more favorable debt terms they have been seeking.....maybe? Like I said, just thinking out loud...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject:

I've yet to hear back from family in PR and it may still be some time.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
just thinking out loud, but beyond every ones health and safety, could this storm actually be beneficial to PR in the long term? Considering their economy has been in a long term recession, and unemployment rates exceed 10%; could the large capital injection (Federal Aid, Insurance, Charity, etc.) that the island will incur in the upcoming months be an economic bump that could lead to long term improvements and sustainable growth? The disaster could even open up more favorable debt terms they have been seeking.....maybe? Like I said, just thinking out loud...

Yes and no. There will be something of an economic bump, and there will be net infrastructure improvements (better power grid, improvements to roads, etc.). Basically, a lot of stuff that needed to get fixed will get fixed.

But it will hurt tourism and long term investment. It reminds everyone exactly how vulnerable that island is.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Waiting to hear from friends also (they're in Punta Cana, DR), haven't heard in 2 days
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Ben Vereen wrote:

Amen. I would go in a heartbeat. I spent two months doing hazmat cleanup in Louisiana post Katrina and that was the most satisfying professional thing I have done in my career. People needed help and I felt great helping them.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Ben Vereen wrote:

Amen. I would go in a heartbeat. I spent two months doing hazmat cleanup in Louisiana post Katrina and that was the most satisfying professional thing I have done in my career. People needed help and I felt great helping them.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

If you can, try to contact some of the hotels in the areas. I was able to finally reach my relatives through Sheraton in San Juan.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

Puerto Rico's Guatajaca dam bursts amid mass evacuations and flash flooding

Quote:
Puerto Rico's Guajataca dam has failed and caused "extremely dangerous" flooding, authorities say. Towns nearby were already being evacuated before it burst.

Buses had been dispatched to evacuate people from the area, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

LINK
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Waiting to hear from friends also (they're in Punta Cana, DR), haven't heard in 2 days

They're ok, stayed in the resort, didn't evacuate. Power back on
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/09/27/j-j-barea-on-trip-to-puerto-rico-people-are-struggling-we-need-a-lot-of-help/

Quote:
J.J. Barea on trip to Puerto Rico: “People are struggling. …we need a lot of help”

J.J. Barea, a native Puerto Rico, recently returned home in the Dallas Mavericks’ plane carrying supplies for the nation crippled by hurricane Maria (Mark Cuban is sending a second planeload of supplies).

What he saw there changed him, and he talked about it upon his return to Mavericks training camp. Here are his comments, via Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News.

“You go to Puerto Rico and fly in and look out the window and it’s beautiful. The water’s blue. People are moving and you feel the vibe. Yesterday, you look out the window and it was dead, completely dead. People are struggling. It was good to be there to help, but it was tough. We need a lot of help and it’s going to take awhile. It’s going to be a long, long process.

“It’s awful. We’ve been through it before, but nothing like this. The electricity is not that good in Puerto Rico. You get a rainstorm and electricity could be out for a couple hours. Now, it’s really going to be bad. Six months, maybe a year.”

I can’t imagine seeing your homeland devastated like that.

There are a lot of ways you can help and donate, via United Puerto Rico (organized by the First Lady of Puerto Rico), the former presidents’ America Appeal, and other organization.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: