Westbrook Signs with OKC, 5 years/$205M

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Westbrook Signs with OKC, 5 years/$205M

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20862559/oklahoma-city-thunder-star-russell-westbrook-agrees-5-year-205m-extension
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

But he's still coming to the Lakers, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

hes going to regret that once PG leaves and Melo doesn't net them anything of significance..
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I doubt he will regret a single penny of that contract.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not sure the same sentiment holds for OKC though. We shall see.
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Happy for him. He had a truly impressive season and now will reap the benefits. He deserves it.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

He's loyal. And a dummy. He's a loyal dummy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

He can’t complain about OKC not trying to win with him. They have done a good job of bringing in help. I thought they were a 3-4 seed in the West before, now I think they are a 2-3 seed.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
hes going to regret that once PG leaves and Melo doesn't net them anything of significance..

Those trades freed OKC from bad contracts. L4kers still stuck with Deng and JC
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
He's loyal. And a dummy. He's a loyal dummy.

Yup. Should've taken a paycut and joined the Warriors like a real winner smh.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not sure the same sentiment holds for OKC though. We shall see.

WB gonna put butts on those seats, good on both sides
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

Westbrook is a great player for sure, 42 Triple-Doubles last season, averaged a Triple-Double over the entire season..

He is worth whatever someone is willing to pay him and OKC was willing to pay him the most, so is he loyal to OKC, when he signed with the Team that could pay him the most money?

I have not seen the year-by-year breakdown of this contract, but since it averages $41mil/per season, I suspect that the first year is closer the $30mil and the final year being around $50mil.

Just Wow, having $50mil going to one guy...

Now, this also bodes very well for the Lakers, as I can't see OKC offering PG a similar contract after next year! For the 2018-19 season they are on the hook for over $82mill to Westbrook, Carmelo and Steven Adams. Adding another $30mil for PG will put them OVER the salary cap ($112mil) with just four players, filling out the rest of the 14/15 man roster will cost them DOUBLE in salary-cap penalties! Very hard to do for a small-market team...

Sure OKC will try to low-ball him and hope he takes less to be a good-guy, but I doubt he will, so Laker Fans can count on him at least considering the Lakers and most likely he will be here!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Westbrook is a great player for sure, 42 Triple-Doubles last season, averaged a Triple-Double over the entire season..

He is worth whatever someone is willing to pay him and OKC was willing to pay him the most, so is he loyal to OKC, when he signed with the Team that could pay him the most money?

I have not seen the year-by-year breakdown of this contract, but since it averages $41mil/per season, I suspect that the first year is closer the $30mil and the final year being around $50mil.

Now, this also bodes very well for the Lakers, as I can't see OKC offering PG a similar contract after next year! For the 2018-19 season they are on the hook for over $82mill to Westbrook, Carmelo and Steven Adams. Adding another $30mil for PG will put them OVER the salary cap ($112mil) with just four players, filling out the rest of the 14/15 man roster will cost them DOUBLE in salary-cap penalties! Very hard to do for a small-market team...

Sure OKC will try to low-ball him and hope he takes less to be a good-guy, but I doubt he will, so Laker Fans can count on him at least considering the Lakers and most likely he will be here!

The chance they offer Paul George less than absolute max are as close to zero as you can get.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

I could see them keeping PG13 and then eventually trading one of them for an expiring contract if it doesn't work out down the road to get cap relief. They are building a win now team.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

he's getting prp treatment already, at 28. For a guy that's so reliant on athleticism, that contract is going to be a cancer within 2 years.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

The chance they offer Paul George less than absolute max are as close to zero as you can get.

been saying this....there will be no negotiation....OKC will offer him the max in the first minute of free agency....and deal with the financial issues later.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

been saying this....there will be no negotiation....OKC will offer him the max in the first minute of free agency....and deal with the financial issues later.

Yup. They will offer it, but he will also probably be aware that OKC will have to do some cost cutting measures if he signs a full max (and who knows about Melo). Could be jettisoning Steven Adams for example.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: