Pelinka no longer saying they'll sign 2 superstars in 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/914200218643648513

Melo opting in $27mil would be up to Melo, hard to see Melo agreeing to a 3 yr $10-15mil/yr when both WB and PG are maxed out

No doubt. I still am 100% confident PG13 will test FA before his decision.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/914200218643648513

Melo opting in $27mil would be up to Melo, hard to see Melo agreeing to a 3 yr $10-15mil/yr when both WB and PG are maxed out

No doubt. I still am 100% confident PG13 will test FA before his decision.

If Melo opts in, OKC is screwed. OKC would pay a base lux tax of almost $40M to have the 3rd or 4th seed in the WC. If PG opts out and gets a deal starting at $30M, OKC gets a tax bill of $65M in 18/19.

If Melo walks after 18/19, OKC will still be over the lux line because of increases for WB, PG, Adams and Roberson. Those 4 players would be $118 Million dollars themselves, so if OKC renounced EVERYONE ELSE on the team, traded away their draft picks and signed 11 guys at the minimum, they'd be well over the luxury tax line AND pay the repeater tax.

If Melo opts out and signs for a lower deal, they'd still pay luxury and repeater taxes for 5+ years - it could easily cost them $220+ million over the life of WBs contract.

The Lakers or Knicks could handle that with no sweat. I don't see OKC choking an annual $40M+ luxury tax payment.

I think they ask PG to take a discount to stay and he bolts to LA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I think melo and WB will be the OKC duo. Pg13 is there and will play out the year.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

If Melo opts in, OKC is screwed. OKC would pay a base lux tax of almost $40M to have the 3rd or 4th seed in the WC. If PG opts out and gets a deal starting at $30M, OKC gets a tax bill of $65M in 18/19.

If Melo walks after 18/19, OKC will still be over the lux line because of increases for WB, PG, Adams and Roberson. Those 4 players would be $118 Million dollars themselves, so if OKC renounced EVERYONE ELSE on the team, traded away their draft picks and signed 11 guys at the minimum, they'd be well over the luxury tax line AND pay the repeater tax.

If Melo opts out and signs for a lower deal, they'd still pay luxury and repeater taxes for 5+ years - it could easily cost them $220+ million over the life of WBs contract.

The Lakers or Knicks could handle that with no sweat. I don't see OKC choking an annual $40M+ luxury tax payment.

Great logic and great points, pretty much the exact same as I said the page before, but it all makes sense...!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think melo and WB will be the OKC duo. Pg13 is there and will play out the year.

his quote today...I really doubt PG-13 leaves OKC unless they fall apart this year. Even in his A to Z Podcast with Sam Amick, he said its not about coming in and winning a title in year one, but does he think they will have the talent to win a title in the coming years...we will see, anything can happen...but I really would not take a PG-13 or bust mentality.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

his quote today...I really doubt PG-13 leaves OKC unless they fall apart this year. Even in his A to Z Podcast with Sam Amick, he said its not about coming in and winning a title in year one, but does he think they will have the talent to win a title in the coming years...we will see, anything can happen...but I really would not take a PG-13 or bust mentality.

1 year is an eternity for basketball. The incumbent team inherently has advantages but I think he will give the Lakers big consideration next year. What else is he supposed to say?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1 year is an eternity for basketball. The incumbent team inherently has advantages but I think he will give the Lakers big consideration next year. What else is he supposed to say?

I agree...but I guess we (including you and me) have been guilty in recent years for not just taking guys at their word....so I now just have my doubts. Either way, no matter what happens, the best thing we can do within our control is win as many games a possible, strive for the playoffs, and hope all our current players show out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree...but I guess we (including you and me) have been guilty in recent years for not just taking guys at their word....so I now just have my doubts. Either way, no matter what happens, the best thing we can do within our control is win as many games a possible, strive for the playoffs, and hope all our current players show out.

Absolutely. Agreed! Btw did you know sling now has a cloud DVR?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Absolutely. Agreed! Btw did you know sling now has a cloud DVR?

no. I actually went with Hulu Live, and the cloud DVR was one of the reasons at the time.....I was really conflicted between Hulu, Sling, Direct TV Now, and PS Vue. Still unsure which one is the best, but the great thing is it is very easy to simply change and try another one if your not satisfied. There are definitely some things I have not been crazy about with Hulu Live. In my opinion, the cable companies are "dead men walking" unless they drastically reduce their prices or adopt more of a a la carte model....because the options for streaming are only going to get better and more competitive.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Great logic and great points, pretty much the exact same as I said the page before, but it all makes sense...!

Your post was my inspiration - but I never trust other people's math on message boards - had to do my own research. Fortunately, it confirmed and concurred with your brilliant analysis!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
My goodness VLF. OKC will happily pay over 250m in salaries/luxury tax in a tiny market with a joke of a tv deal against what you admittedly call a juggernaut warriors?

Yes, it is forgotten here amongst all our tanking but some teams are trying to win.

a team that has approached the luxury tax like it’s herpes

That is incorrect, they have been paying the luxury tax.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Pelinka's not dumb, can't continue to say we're planning to get rid of Lopez/KCP/Randle by hammering down on 2 max FA signing while the preseason is about to start. This changes nothing
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Pelinka's not dumb, can't continue to say we're planning to get rid of Lopez/KCP/Randle by hammering down on 2 max FA signing while the preseason is about to start. This changes nothing

Great points too!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: