Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
On our entire roster, IMO, we only have 2 above average defenders....brewer and KCP...and they are only slightly above average. The rest of our roster consists of some of the worst defenders in the league (Randle, JC, BI) sprinkled in with some average ones (Nance, Deng) and some unproven ones (Ball, Kuz). We have no great defensive players and only a couple of good ones...so our defense sux. Will continue to sux for a while.

I would add LNJ to being a fairly good defender. His footwork is incredible, and his help D and amount of area he covers is exceptional. Some guys need experience and some guys are just lazy (JR takes the prize).

I dunno, I know he has that reputation as a good defender and his numbers probably aren't bad....but eye test, to me, shows he's out of position frequently and with all those hops doesn't contest around the basket. He's alright.

I watched last nights game again and I know we are talking about team D, but Lonzo was BAAAAD on ball. Your team D breaks down when giving up that sort of penetration. The guy who constantly makes me mad on this team with his D is Zubac. He has MULTIPLE chances every game to defend the rim against someone going in and he never does, he typically just stands under the basket and gives up a dunk. Yes JR is lazy, but Zubac is just soft...who cares if you get posterized, you'll win your share.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
On our entire roster, IMO, we only have 2 above average defenders....brewer and KCP...and they are only slightly above average. The rest of our roster consists of some of the worst defenders in the league (Randle, JC, BI) sprinkled in with some average ones (Nance, Deng) and some unproven ones (Ball, Kuz). We have no great defensive players and only a couple of good ones...so our defense sux. Will continue to sux for a while.

With the caveat that it's only one preseason game and young guys like Zu and BI have room to improve defensively as do Ball and Kuz, there aren't any likely defensive difference-makers on this team except maybe Briante Webber.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

I would add LNJ to being a fairly good defender. His footwork is incredible, and his help D and amount of area he covers is exceptional. Some guys need experience and some guys are just lazy (JR takes the prize).

I dunno, I know he has that reputation as a good defender and his numbers probably aren't bad....but eye test, to me, shows he's out of position frequently and with all those hops doesn't contest around the basket. He's alright.

I watched last nights game again and I know we are talking about team D, but Lonzo was BAAAAD on ball. Your team D breaks down when giving up that sort of penetration. The guy who constantly makes me mad on this team with his D is Zubac. He has MULTIPLE chances every game to defend the rim against someone going in and he never does, he typically just stands under the basket and gives up a dunk. Yes JR is lazy, but Zubac is just soft...who cares if you get posterized, you'll win your share.

LNJ communicates and he hustles, which not a lot of guys do on this team. Some of the all-in-one stats really like him defensively, though he benefits there from being a bench role-player who fills in for Julius.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: