Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kuz scores, he passes, he defends and he hustles. Larry who?

Man, you have a weird hard-on for Larry.

Has he done something positive this game? Has he shown anything to make you think he should get playing time over Kuzma?

1) he's actually performed competently in regular season games

2) they're both Lakers and can split time while also playing together

The willingness of posters tonight to throw two years of evidence supporting good play because of two crappy preseason games

Seriously. And we do this every damn year.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:
Getting Lopez and Bogut will help but Bryant > Zubac. Also, its obvious Kuzma > Ingram, Randle, Nance. My prediction Kuzma starts at SF, Ingram comes off the bench. Clarkson still the same, not saying too much.

Ball
KCP
Kuzma
Randle
Lopez

All for that lineup.

Unfortunately you gotta wonder what it'd do to BI's confidence after pretty much getting the smoke blown into him that the Lakers was now his team and how he was gonna be this great 20 ppg scorer and all this other stuff.

If he starts the season on the bench, it may hurt his confidence.

That's why you don't start building up a 19 year old kid as the future of the franchise after the kind of rookie season he had. Unless he becomes Gordon Hayward redux then it's gonna be a hard tenure because you get the feeling that Ingram probably feels not only the pressure, but the lack of patience in the FO right now. That isn't gonna help when Ingram is a guy who is gonna need 3-4 more seasons to progress.

Magic can say "Its just about the young guys getting better, we're patient" all he wants, but when you scream "Ingram's gonna score 20 ppg this season!" and "We're getting two max's after this year!" for the better part of 2-3 months it sends very mixed messages.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Has he done something positive this game? Has he shown anything to make you think he should get playing time over Kuzma?

The willingness of posters tonight to throw two years of evidence supporting good play because of two crappy preseason games

Seriously. And we do this every damn year.

and we will be back doing it again next year.....LG gotta be LG
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

By the way, Larry reportedly got his bodyfat down to 4-5% this off-season but said he felt like it was draining him, so he got himself back up to 7-8% and said he felt fine.

But to me he looks winded out there, not with the same energy he usually shows. One wonders if he took his legs out before the season even started.

If that's the case, that's not a good thing for a guy whose entire game is based upon his athleticism and his hustle and energy.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
By the way, Larry reportedly got his bodyfat down to 4-5% this off-season but said he felt like it was draining him, so he got himself back up to 7-8% and said he felt fine.

But to me he looks winded out there, not with the same energy he usually shows. One wonders if he took his legs out before the season even started.

If that's the case, that's not a good thing for a guy whose entire game is based upon his athleticism and his hustle and energy.

larry will be fine. he is barely 6'9 and his coach is putting him against 7ft guys.

its not going to work. Luke needs to coach better with matchups
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Does anyone know rather Lonzos injury is serious?

He was limping a bit but still played. I think they will play it safe and sit him a game or two.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

[quote="MJST"]By the way, Larry reportedly got his bodyfat down to 4-5% this off-season but said he felt like it was draining him, so he got himself back up to 7-8% and said he felt fine.

If that's the case, that's not a good thing for a guy whose entire game is based upon his athleticism and his hustle and energy.[/quote

Totally agree. doesn't look like himself out there. Regardless of production, not the same energy level. Same motions but different impact. ]
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

You can see he's working hard and being active. The problem is he isn't actually contributing much while he's doing it. He hasn't shown his supposed improved shot, he's blowing shots in close, he got outworked for boards today. The good news is he has time to show he's a rotation guy. He bad news is he has a guy in Kuzma who, if he keeps playing like this, is nipping at his heels so his time is limited.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

We've got a logjam at the four. And I've prefaced most of my posts saying that Larry needs to show something to keep his spot, which is saying that he hasn't lost it yet, but he's at risk of doing so if things continue to look the way they have. If Kuz falls apart or Larry suddenly beasts, of course he should keep his job. But so far it isn't looking very good for him. He got a lot of hype from the dunks on West and of course Lopez, but if he wasn't getting spoon fed dunks he wasn't doing much else. And for all the talk from him of working on his shot, he hasn't shown it.

Again, he hasn't lost his spot yet, and he should get every chance to show he deserves to keep it, but it isn't looking good for him. That's all I was saying. I like Larry. I just don't think he's shown himself to be much more than a spot energy role player.

I disagree, I think he's shown himself to be deserving of more than spot minutes, but he is best as an energy big off the bench. The only reason he's starting now is because Lopez is out, of course.

Also, Larry is cheap and under contract through 2019. Just based on the need to carve out cap space for next summer, Larry and Kuz are more likely to be around next season than Julius.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

We've got a logjam at the four. And I've prefaced most of my posts saying that Larry needs to show something to keep his spot, which is saying that he hasn't lost it yet, but he's at risk of doing so if things continue to look the way they have. If Kuz falls apart or Larry suddenly beasts, of course he should keep his job. But so far it isn't looking very good for him. He got a lot of hype from the dunks on West and of course Lopez, but if he wasn't getting spoon fed dunks he wasn't doing much else. And for all the talk from him of working on his shot, he hasn't shown it.

Again, he hasn't lost his spot yet, and he should get every chance to show he deserves to keep it, but it isn't looking good for him. That's all I was saying. I like Larry. I just don't think he's shown himself to be much more than a spot energy role player.

I'm not sure anyone outside of Ball and Ingram has a secure spot on this team, especially at the 4. We have a bunch of unproven young players and rent-a-veterans. I could see almost everyone on this roster ending up on the bench collecting DNP-CDs.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know if Luke had a solid 9 man regular PT roster last season and if that is the aim this year?

Way too many cooks in the kitchen. And I still think Hart should/will crack the rotation.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Can we start Kuzma already?

Luke: "uhhhhh you know uhhhhh uhhhh uhhhh Randle....can't you know uhhh, body fat...uhhhh defense."

Kuzma is outplaying Ingram more than he's outplaying Randle.

Sorry to say.

It is too early in the preseason to completely agree with this. Still, it is starting to trend in that direction.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
levon wrote:
good sub Luke

Yea what was the logic there?

Team comes back with a certain unit, 43 secs left. He subs out one guy for a guy who has never played ever, for one play on offense. Then on the ensuing play, takes him out and brings the original guy back in.

especially when that guys sucks on offense

Probably a situational matchup for one play, and a chance to get a guy on the floor that may possibly never see time again in a Laker jersey. It is preseason.

For one play? With 43 secs left?

Yep. That's my guess. Players often get a cameo appearance before getting waived off the roster or sent down. One chance to see the floor before this happens, in a game where the outcome doesn't matter as much as learning about the roster.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Does anyone know if Luke had a solid 9 man regular PT roster last season and if that is the aim this year?

Way too many cooks in the kitchen. And I still think Hart should/will crack the rotation.

Dang I forgot about Hart. This would have been a great game to see what he could do out there.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

we have to stop accepting and repeating the Lakers claims of body fat %.....they must be clueless on how to measure body fat.....Larry has never been 4 to 5% bodyfat, and never ever will be. Zubac is not 8%, and it is laughable every time they make that absurd claim. Once an athletic male reaches around 5%, they are is a serious red flag zone....organs began to be stressed, skin begins to look poor, bones weaken, etc. Even "shredded" bodybuilders who will drop to around 5% for competition only stay there for a few days....and then jump back up to 7,8 or 9% to remain healthy. (while still looking shredded to lay person)

Last edited by adkindo on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

I think Harris and Jokic are still open
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

I do have to commend Randle for battling hard all game long with some very physical players. He was also not afraid to take the shot when everyone else was dumping the ball off like a hot potato late in the first half.

KCP emerged, I liked his hustle and willingness to shoot when open.

Kuzma just keeps getting us back into games. Flat out killing it out there. Good for him.

Ennis looked solid again.

Lonzo looked for his shot a little more. Good.

Thomas Bryant - I'm starting to like this guy.

BI and Zubac were pretty good early on. Not so muh after the 20 minute mark. BI started catching a second wind and balling again, until Beasly slammed him.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
This L is on Zubac dude let jokic wide open for all those 3's. Kept us in a hole.

Can't wait to see Lopez in there or even Bogut.

Lol at everyone who keeps mentioning Zubac leaving Jokic open. Clearly the plan was to have Zubac stay back and contain drives. The lack of rotation to Jokic is either on Luke or the next man not following the game plan. We know Zubac can't contain and close-out to 3 point shooters, stop with this nonsense.
Vottomatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:
Getting Lopez and Bogut will help but Bryant > Zubac. Also, its obvious Kuzma > Ingram, Randle, Nance. My prediction Kuzma starts at SF, Ingram comes off the bench. Clarkson still the same, not saying too much.

Ball
KCP
Kuzma
Randle
Lopez

I rather have Kuzma start in place of Randle. Ingram isn't playing great rn but he's still a better shooter than Randle.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:

Ball
KCP
Kuzma
Randle
Lopez

Id rather have Kuzma start over Randle. The “light skined connection” + he gives us a stretch 4 we dont have in the lineup, hopefully opening up lanes for Ingram to become effective slasher, instead of a wing iso player, since Randle and Zubac are packing the paint on offense.

Brook
Kuz
Ingram
KCP
Ball
—————————
Bogut/Bryant
Randle/Nance
Brewer/Deng
JC
Ennis

Bogut is a physical player & Bryant is a defensive presence who can also stretch the floor,.. allowing the 2nd unit front court to play bully-ball with the opponents frontline. I think the 2nd unit is better fitted to play a physical type of style since non are great shooters. keep the opponents guessing: 1st unit uptempo, 2nd unit less uptempo and more physical style. And then mix it up depending on whats working well that night.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

It's gonna take time for the team to gel & the youngsters to mature.
Patience is the key, it's a work in progress.

Two pre-season games does not a season make.
joey25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

It looks like we are continuing from where we left off. Play close games and lose.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
MJST wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Can we start Kuzma already?

Luke: "uhhhhh you know uhhhhh uhhhh uhhhh Randle....can't you know uhhh, body fat...uhhhh defense."

Kuzma is outplaying Ingram more than he's outplaying Randle.

Sorry to say.

It is too early in the preseason to completely agree with this. Still, it is starting to trend in that direction.

Especially if we continue to ignore everything but scoring.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Way to early to make any lasting judgements but so far here are my observations.

Kuzma is the real deal. Based on 2 games and summer league he will earn a place in the rotation and play significant minutes.

Randle looks pretty good but still don’t know about his outside shooting. Defense looks better and he still passes but nobody seems to be hitting shots.

Deng it even looks okay. He is a decent all round SF/PF but not worth the money.

Ennis wow he looks like he will get some minutes.

Clarkson we need somebody who can score and he has done okay so far.

BI: He does not look as quick and explosive as he did in summer league. Seems to be trying to live up to being the man. He will figure it out.

Bryant: Shows great hustle, had a beautiful no look pass gotta love the guy.

Zubac: He can be a big part of offense if involved.

Lopez: Boy we need him nobody hitting the 3 except Kuzma

Nance: Don’t see the improvement yet. May be endanger of losing spot in rotation. Is he on the trading block? #3 or 4 PF if Deng is the old Deng

KCP: Like to see more but so far he seems like a 3 D guy and the 3 is just okay.

Big issue looks like 3 point shooting: Lopez, Kuzma, KCP and Clarkson. Maybe Ball but that is it. Heck Deng may be next in line as a 3 point threat. Really need BI to step up here because right now he is a ball stopper who is missing his shots which is a bad combo.

Defense and half court offense are works in progress and until they start playing cohesively and the rotations and player combinations become more set it is really tell to much. Also without Lopez it is difficult because he is a key component in both of these areas.

Keys: BI needs to calm down and figure it out. Like Randle & Kuzma playing together with Ball from a ball movement perspective. Need to get Lopez back and integrated into the system. Don’t hate the idea of Randle, Kuzma, KCP & Ball playing with Lopez. Best passing and shooting lineup. Like to see BI have some of the pressure taken off him for a while. If he gets the 3 pointer going like to see him replace KCP and create massive matchup issues. Would also force him to do more facilitation of the offense which is is very good at.

I am still optimistic but right now I wish I saw more from BI who I think will be all right once he settles in. I also wish I saw more from Nance I know it is a small sample size but Deng looks like he may have found the fountain of youth and if he has the Deng of 2-4 years ago is better than Nance.

We seem thin in the backcourt and if BI could slide there the backcourt would look a lot stronger. He is the only forward we have that is capable of playing there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52
Page 52 of 52
Jump to: