Tom Petty dead at the age of 66.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

OK, 3rd post of mine in this thread but I don't care.

Seeing interviews of him and so approachable and humble (not to mention insanely creative) makes me miss him all the more.

I can't believe I missed his last show 15 minutes from my house at Del Mar a couple of weeks ago.

Legend...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

From one of my personal All Time Greats about this All Time Great. Warren Haynes speaks about Tom Petty:

RIP Tom Petty- Man, am I tired of doing this? Here I am again trying to express a sense of loss, with words, which is hard enough to do without the depressingly uncanny frequency of major losses we’ve suffered this year- and it’s barely October.
Tom Petty was a great songwriter. If he’d written only a handful of the classic songs we’ve all known and loved through the years this would still be the case. But he defied history. He did what so few can do- he kept up the pace for over 40 years and as great as the songs from the early albums were he actually continued to get better and better, composing a lot of his best works later in his career. And he kept them coming. I remember commenting during a short tour we did together with the Allman Brothers and the Heartbreakers that they had so many hits they couldn’t fit them all into one show. And not just hits. The kind of hits that "everybody" likes. Casual fans, rockers, musicians, singer-songwriters, male and female- across the board. Everybody loves Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. And for good reason. I can remember in different stages of my life, (going all the way back to 1976 when I first heard them) no matter where my head was- if I was going through a blues phase, or a jazz phase, or a folky phase, or a funk phase- anytime I would hear a new Tom Petty song on the radio it was like “damn, that’s a good song”. And like all great bands from the 60’s and 70’s the Heartbreakers had a sound. You knew it was them as soon as you heard it. Evolving and adapting but never straying too far from that sound, they somehow managed to navigate their way through 4 decades of an ever-changing music business- a feat unto itself.

But Tom Petty was also a true artist in the way that he fought for the right to deliver his music uncompromised and his well known disputes with the corporate side of the music industry helped pave the way for other artists to do the same. I still remember his battle to keep the record company from raising the price on Hard Promises because it would be unfair to the fans. Reading about that as a 21 year-old kid inspired me to be conscious of those kind of things. I also remember hearing a story (assuming it’s true) of how he would find the person with the worst seat in any venue they were performing in and have them moved down front- another classy act.

I barely knew Tom. We did a handful of shows together. But I was a big fan before I met him and a bigger one afterwards. I’m honored to have played together what little we did. The world needs more Tom Petty’s. Unfortunately there was only one. And now he’s gone. May we all “stand our ground” and “not back down”.- WH
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

BTW, I know NPZ mentioned the song in his list, but I think it is important to re-iterate that "Stop Draggin' my Heart Around" is arguably one of the greatest collaborations in rock history.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
BTW, I know NPZ mentioned the song in his list, but I think it is important to re-iterate that "Stop Draggin' my Heart Around" is arguably one of the greatest collaborations in rock history.

Yup. When I think of Petty music, this is the first song that comes to mind. The opening scene in Silence of the lambs, with American Girl blaring, is the second.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

One of the curses of aging is to watch the advance of death, like a storm on the horizon, ever nearer. First our grandparents generation, then our parents generation, including the many stars we grew up with. Finally, it begins to take those closer and closer to our age at a greater and greater frequency.

It is not our own death that is so horrible as it is to lose those around us, leaving us feeling ever and ever more alone. Treasure the moments, and the people who make them special. They both go away quickly.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Tom Petty was so (bleep) cool. One of my favorite memories of hanging out with my family was having the chance to watch him perform live about seven years ago with my mom, her best friend, and my best friend.

Crazy that he's gone, grew up listening to his music with my parents.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

My Mom went through palliative care a few weeks ago. It was rough, but she had almost a week of friends and family coming by and hanging out at the hospital to share stories and reminisce. She actually was conscious a good couple of days past what they predicted, and once she fully slipped under she passed within 12 hours or so.

Sad to hear this about Tom. It's really odd considering I almost went to see him last week at the last minute. He was one of those guys I consider part of the roots of my generation of music fan. As others said, I wasn't super into his music but always enjoyed it and felt like he was one of those whose sound was influential.

RIP Tom

My deepest condolences to you and your family, DMR.

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Muley, so sorry to hear bro.

Thanks guys.

! Just caught that portion. Condolences my brotha.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

My Mom went through palliative care a few weeks ago. It was rough, but she had almost a week of friends and family coming by and hanging out at the hospital to share stories and reminisce. She actually was conscious a good couple of days past what they predicted, and once she fully slipped under she passed within 12 hours or so.

Sad to hear this about Tom. It's really odd considering I almost went to see him last week at the last minute. He was one of those guys I consider part of the roots of my generation of music fan. As others said, I wasn't super into his music but always enjoyed it and felt like he was one of those whose sound was influential.

RIP Tom

Dladi Vidac wrote:

Thanks guys.

Damn, I missed that too. Sorry brother, I do know what you are going through.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

RIP Tom

Dladi Vidac wrote:

Thanks guys.

Hadn't clicked on the thread. Just saw this. Deepest sympathy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
One of the curses of aging is to watch the advance of death, like a storm on the horizon, ever nearer. First our grandparents generation, then our parents generation, including the many stars we grew up with. Finally, it begins to take those closer and closer to our age at a greater and greater frequency.

It is not our own death that is so horrible as it is to lose those around us, leaving us feeling ever and ever more alone. Treasure the moments, and the people who make them special. They both go away quickly.

One reason why immortality is not one thing I'm wishing for. Imagine everyone you know and love gone and you're left plodding along eith every generation.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

One reason why immortality is not one thing I'm wishing for. Imagine everyone you know and love gone and you're left plodding along eith every generation.

you select the ones you like and bite them....(just kidding, vampire reference)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

I never knew that The Last DJ was written about Jim Ladd and KMET. KMET was gone when I moved here and Jim was at KLOS, but I remember listening to the station when visiting family.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

Thanks guys.

Joe: Hadn't clicked on the thread. Just saw this. Deepest sympathy.[/quote]

Echoed sentiments, Mule. Hope you're well as you can be considering. I've been there numerous times, know the feeling.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

What the heck..
Accidental Overdose

Quote:

LA County Coroner: Tom Petty death accidental due to multiple organ failure/cardiopulmonary arrest from mixed drug toxicity (including fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl)

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-tom-petty-drug-cause-death-20180119-story.html

Quote:

Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments, including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.

Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.

“We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues, including fentanyl patches, and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

“As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications

I've never been into heavy or pharmaceutical type stuff. Does that coroner report look like the ingredients of an accidental overdose or successful departure by choice?
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Billion dollar industry that cares more about getting people (customers) hooked on pills rather than curing them.

Legalize marijuana and develop it for therapeutic use.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: