OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

If Kuzma continues to play the way he has, I see him as more of a 3. Does that make Ingram expendable? He still has a lot of value now. If he struggles the first half of the season, do you trade him?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
If Kuzma continues to play the way he has, I see him as more of a 3. Does that make Ingram expendable? He still has a lot of value now. If he struggles the first half of the season, do you trade him?

If he struggles the first half of this season, what would his trade value be in February in terms of a draft pick?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
I'm concerned that we might not be able to find s taker for Clarkson. Even with Randle attached to him. Anybody else concerned about this? Any ideas?

Julius will end up renounced, we'll attach both Denver and Chicago's 2nd in 18 to JC, and Deng will be stretched. Mayyyybee Julius could end up fetching a pick but I'm not so sure that is all that likely...

IMO, we should have made the move to secure the first domino when we had the chance.

What chance did we have?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

If he struggles the first half of this season, what would his trade value be in February in terms of a draft pick?

I'm sure some teams still would place a high value on him. However, the more he plays he will show what his potential really is and that could alter the value.

Russell showed much more skill than Ingram and he was shown the door.

The face of the matter is, many teams don't like to trade with the Lakers. The deals that OKC pulled off for PG and Melo would not have happened if the Lakers were the trading partners.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Today, I actually started having a nagging feeling that Kuzma would be the add-on for a Deng salary dump. I'm starting to think it has to be either Kuzma or Ingram at this point.

I don't think Randle's trade value is high enough anymore. And if the front office is determined not to trade Ingram and are in on him long-term,

and if their targets are primarily Paul George and LeBron James, those are at positions that would make either Ingram or Kuzma expendable. I wonder if a breakout year from Kuzma would make him the chip to trade Deng.

The latest Locked on Lakers on Friday had me start thinking about this
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Today, I actually started having a nagging feeling that Kuzma would be the add-on for a Deng salary dump. I'm starting to think it has to be either Kuzma or Ingram at this point.

I don't think Randle's trade value is high enough anymore. And if the front office is determined not to trade Ingram and are in on him long-term,

and if their targets are primarily Paul George and LeBron James, those are at positions that would make either Ingram or Kuzma expendable. I wonder if a breakout year from Kuzma would make him the chip to trade Deng.

Understand the concern, there is no way they should trade Ingram or Kuzma without Lebron AND PG13 signed on the dotted line. They already made one mistake trade imo.

Just can’t give up assets when you don’t have the guarantee of the stars officially onboard.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Understand the concern, there is no way they should trade Ingram or Kuzma without Lebron AND PG13 signed on the dotted line. They already made one mistake trade imo.

Just can’t give up assets when you don’t have the guarantee of the stars officially onboard.

There's no way they should, and yet they did. I also remember a quote from Ding, I think, talking about the front office seeing the trade as an opportunity. Like, they realized there was a team for a brief moment who was willing to actually take Mozgov's contract so they pulled the trigger because they weren't sure when the opportunity would pop up again.

Makes me wonder if that's how they see a Deng deal.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Cavs don't look like a super team, better for us and our chances at LeBron, hopefully they don't turn it up once the season starts.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

There's no way they should, and yet they did. I also remember a quote from Ding, I think, talking about the front office seeing the trade as an opportunity. Like, they realized there was a team for a brief moment who was willing to actually take Mozgov's contract so they pulled the trigger because they weren't sure when the opportunity would pop up again.

For sure. It’s just that’s a dangerous game to play. Most teams wait on salary dumps. If they whiff on landing the stars, we are basically back to square one.

I know you are not in favor of it, just scary to think the FO could potentially pull the trigger.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

For sure. It’s just that’s a dangerous game to play. Most teams wait on salary dumps. If they whiff on landing the stars, we are basically back to square one.

I know you are not in favor of it, just scary to think the FO could potentially pull the trigger.

To be fair I'm just inventing a scenario here. But I don't think Randle's value is high enough to get rid of Deng, so our number of options here are waning.

A reason for optimism(?) is that I remember some media day/recent comments from the front office talking down the 2 max player goal of 2018. Maybe they're starting to embrace the long game if there's freaks of nature like Sam Presti pulling superteams out of their ass
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Thanks Yinoma. I wanted to be on the first page of this thread. I predict this will be the biggest thread in LG history.

Bragging rights?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Why the (bleep) do the Lakers need to dump Deng? They already can open up 2 max slots by stretching Deng, dumping Clarkson for no returning salary, and declining Randle's option, correct? There's no way the Lakers would dump Ingram or Kuzma when they could just as easily keep them.

They do need to get rid of Clarkson ASAP. Whatever expiring salary we can get back, though it'll probably cost a 2nd round pick or something.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Why the (bleep) do the Lakers need to dump Deng? They already can open up 2 max slots by stretching Deng, dumping Clarkson for no returning salary, and declining Randle's option, correct? There's no way the Lakers would dump Ingram or Kuzma when they could just as easily keep them.

They do need to get rid of Clarkson ASAP. Whatever expiring salary we can get back, though it'll probably cost a 2nd round pick or something.

I honestly have zero knowledge of Lakers' current cap room and what they need to do to clear cap space. If that's it, well then (bleep) I hope that's their process!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

It is the getting rid of JC with no long term salary coming back that will be difficult. We would really have to sweeten the pot to achieve that.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Our 2014 draft might just end up becoming a salary dump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't trade Ingram to dump Deng unless we are getting a quality player back.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

It is the getting rid of JC with no long term salary coming back that will be difficult. We would really have to sweeten the pot to achieve that.

Yeah, I agree. Magic and Rob should've gotten rid of him earlier. Not many teams have cap space, and those that do have little use for Clarkson. Not sure if any teams have expiring contracts they'd trade for Clarkson, even if we incentivized it with a 2nd rounder or something.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Magic and Rob should've gotten rid of him earlier. Not many teams have cap space, and those that do have little use for Clarkson. Not sure if any teams have expiring contracts they'd trade for Clarkson, even if we incentivized it with a 2nd rounder or something.

They tried to in the ill fated Indiana trade attempt for George.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject:

We are not trading Deng. We are not going to attach BI or Kuzma to any trade. The guy we have to trade is JC (as some have stated). If we expect a team not to give us back salary, we are going to have to add a big sweetener to the deal. That sweetener is going to be JR.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
We are not trading Deng. We are not going to attach BI or Kuzma to any trade. The guy we have to trade is JC (as some have stated). If we expect a team not to give us back salary, we are going to have to add a big sweetener to the deal. That sweetener is going to be JR.

No, that sweetener would be a couple of firsts, or maybe Ingram or Kuzma. Explain to us why a team would take $30-35 mil in salary with JC and a re-signed Randle without dumping something uglier onto us? With the upcoming FA market, what team would use their cap space on JC and Randle? They wouldn’t, so the only other incentive would be to dump a Deng type of contract on us.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

It can be done for Belinelli and filler. Throw in some cash and a second round pick.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Magic even said last night that we had room to bring in two guys.....why does no media member counter question him on this claim? We do not have the space for two max slots....and I have serious doubts that we will get there unless we mortgage too much of the future.....and thats on top of cap estimates declining and Lebron and PG-13 may not even desire to come to LA.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

If Kuzma continues playing like he is, that would be completely crazy. With his shooting abiity, he is the perfect complement to players like LeBron and Lonzo.

*IF* the Lakers feel the need to use a prime asset to dump Deng, then, at least judging by the current play, they would be much better using Ingram than Kuzma. One way to do that would be -- after LeBron and/or PG commit to coming to the Lakers -- offering a sign and trade of Ingram and Deng. If it was for LeBron, they could also throw in Clarkson. Depending on how good (or not good) Ingram looks this season, one team may have to thrown in a draft pick.

Of course this will unlikely come to fruition. First, it may depend on two prime free agents being available. Second, the Lakers may dump Deng another way (such as by packaging draft picks or role players). Or third, they may stretch Deng. But if they do want to use Ingram or Kuz to get rid of Deng, at this point it seems it would have to be Ingram.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

LA may also be able to do a "contract downgrade" with Deng. Trade for a player on an expiring contract after next season, give back a couple draft picks for that privilege. And then you stretch the expiring player.

Examples include:
* Demarre Carroll (15.4m, stretch to 5.1m over 3 seasons)
* Dwight Howard (LMAO, imagine Twitter that day: 23.8m stretched to 8m over 3 seasons)
* Jeremy Lin (12m on a player option, stretched to 4m over 3 seasons)

As opposed to stretching Deng and having 7.4m of dead money over 5 years.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

I want Avery Bradley. You know, if LeBron and Paul George don't team up
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 4 of 2680
Jump to: