Can Ingram fulfill Magic's vision of him averaging 18+ ppg?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Brandon Ingram avg 18+ ppg this season?
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 91 ]
Total Votes : 106

statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't blame BI if he is taking 20 shots and make only 2 of them, but with him taking like 5 - 6 shots per game? Hell, that is not going to happen. It is one thing that he has to adjust his shooting, it is another thing that he is not taking shots. Having said that, it is one thing that Magic wants him to be the scorer and he can't make it deal to whatever reasons it may be, it is another thing that he is not even trying.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject:

217 points in his last 17 games last season 12.8ppg... in 28.7 minutes on 97 for 201 fg attempts, over 48%.....

With 34 minutes a game and what you would expect in growth game wise I would think 18PPG is possible, but 16 PPG would be my prediction...
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

Has there ever been a player with as poor a freshman season numbers and % wise that turned it around to be an all star much less a franchise player?
lts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject:

BI is a Tayshaun Prince style player, i do not know why he is given such expectation to be a elite scorer. He will never get 18+ppg during his carer.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject:

No sorry he can't, not close. Never thought he would. I think he's capable of playing much better though.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject:

I think he is probably a 13 point or so a game scorer this season. He's going to have to start knocking down his three pointers at a reasonable clip if he wants to go above that.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject:

No he'll never be that big time scorer that's not his game....they need to move BI to the bench he needs more practice time and training time....he hasn't shown he should be in the starting lineup yet
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
Has there ever been a player with as poor a freshman season numbers and % wise that turned it around to be an all star much less a franchise player?

Interesting question. How would you guys compare Ingram's 1st year to Jimmy Butler's, Kawhi's, and PG's first couple years?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/history/awards/_/id/48
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
E=MC² wrote:

Interesting question. How would you guys compare Ingram's 1st year to Jimmy Butler's, Kawhi's, and PG's first couple years?

Gotta take situations into account too though. Being a starter for a lottery team is different than playing as a rookie for the contending Spurs.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
E=MC² wrote:

Gotta take situations into account too though. Being a starter for a lottery team is different than playing as a rookie for the contending Spurs.

I just need the answer to that question
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

I still think its funny that many rag on Magic because what he says about BI. Magic is saying nice things about all these KIDS. He is massaging their psyches. BI will be fine. As far as our kids, he is the player who is best able to create his own shot. He has looked horrible, but he does have potential. He is going to be part of Magic's trio going forward (BI, KUZ, and LB). The sooner fans except this, the better off they are.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Brandon never said anything about averaging 18+. I find it amazing how crazy negative fans get so quickly. The kid just turned 20.

Magic said it, not Brandon: "I told him ‘if you don’t average 20 points a game I’m going to be disappointed,' and 'we need him to step up and be the leading scorer on this team.' "

Meh if you declare for the draft knowing you are going to get picked so high you should come out and produce. If he wants to use the excuse he needs more seasoning he should have stayed in college. He will ether go out and produce or not live up to expectations.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

lts wrote:
BI is a Tayshaun Prince style player, i do not know why he is given such expectation to be a elite scorer. He will never get 18+ppg during his carer.

Cause he looks like Durant
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:

I think you are going to see that from PGs, perhaps. First name I can think of is Chauncey Billups. Then Steve Nash though Nash at leaat showed some potential from 3pt range.

For non PGs, only name I can think is Draymond Green. He flat out sucked his first 2 seasons but esp his first.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject:

This year? No way. Not watching Brandon shoot his open shots and how badly he's trying to force every aspect of his game, trying to be someone he's not. At least yet. He's all over the map at this point. I can't see BI scoring 18ppg this year. Ever? Yes.

I don't put this on Brandon Ingram. I do believe he's progressing as fast as he can, if anything trying too hard at this point. If there's any disappointment, it should be directed at Magic for pumping him up as the 'untouchable,' 'team's leading scorer,' and '20ppg' guy without any reasonable amount of research into whether those goals are achievable this year.

If the goals were even close to plausible, then I'd laud Magic for setting stretch goals. But by singling BI out, putting the spotlight on him, and setting the bar that far out of reach, all Magic is doing is setting BI up for failure.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:

Dirk Nowitzki is the major outlier who went from bad rookie season at age 20 to all-time great, but he played sparingly as a rookie and was a little more efficient than Ingram.

But outside of Nowitzki and Allan Houston - who was terribad as an older rookie and then turned around to become a two-time All-Star with the Knicks - most guys who are as inefficient as rookie Ingram in as many minutes generally haven't turned out to be very good: Link.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

It may be short-sighted but at this point I might package Ingram and Deng to Atlanta for expirings (Bellinelli, Ilyasova) and Taurean Prince, who is also a promising prospect.

I might also package Nance for a future pick.

That should give us about 70m in cap space to go for Lebron (33m), George (30m) and Beverly (7m).

I think Kuzma is the future.

My new 2018 pipe dream Laker team:

C - Lopez, Zubac, T Bryant
F - Lebron, Randle
F - Kuzma, Prince, Brewer
G - PG13, Hart
G - Lonzo, Beverly (sign with cap space), T Ennis
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
He was never going to, and no one would have expected him to had Magic not opened his mouth and said it.

Tell me about it!. Magic talks too much. I am an expert in reading people reactions and i can tell you Luke is tired of that already from watching his interviews.

Just zip it Magic!!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

Some day.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
It may be short-sighted but at this point I might package Ingram and Deng to Atlanta for expirings (Bellinelli, Ilyasova) and Taurean Prince, who is also a promising prospect.

That should give us about 70m in cap space to go for Lebron (33m), George (30m) and Beverly (7m).

F - Lebron, Randle
G - PG13, Hart

That is becoming a pipe dream by the day!! The only way we get George is if something goes very wrong in OKC. With Westbrook signing his deal I see him swallowing his pride so as to get these guys to sign with OKC. Bron is going to make his decision based on what happens this year. If they win he will not move an inch. With all the arsenals they have that is very possible.

In fact Magic and Rob have seen this from a distance and are beginning to change their tune. A lot depends on this season and so far it does not look good.

My question is how are they going to defend the Russell trade if the 2max does not materialize? Their only card is if Brook gives us 24-25pts a game and takes us to the playoffs else Magic and Rob will be in a very bad place.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

F - Lebron, Randle
G - PG13, Hart

Just the idea to use another one of our 2nd pick to unload theses contracts makes me sick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
No he'll never be that big time scorer that's not his game....they need to move BI to the bench he needs more practice time and training time....he hasn't shown he should be in the starting lineup yet

Starters don’t practice?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

F - Lebron, Randle
G - PG13, Hart

Magic's ego and short sightedness blew the chance to get PG here. He's staying in OKC. No PG = no LeBron.

Maybe Cousins wants to come here and we punt the remaining cap space to 2019 but to use Ingram to dup salary right now is foolish without having that one guy to attract the rest.

(Here is where a link to the "Should we have traded Ingram for PG" thread should go)
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

F - Lebron, Randle
G - PG13, Hart

Magic's ego and short sightedness blew the chance to get PG here. He's staying in OKC. No PG = no LeBron.

Maybe Cousins wants to come here and we punt the remaining cap space to 2019 but to use Ingram to dup salary right now is foolish without having that one guy to attract the rest.

(Here is where a link to the "Should we have traded Ingram for PG" thread should go)

Well see about that if OKC wants to pay the luxury tax.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: