OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
I'll admit it, it's early, but I haven't seen one thing that makes me say, "oh I get it, that's what's special about him". KCP seems like just another guy. I'd rather see Clarkson or BI get his minutes.

Part of the hype comes from the idea that DET was holding him back, or that he was just about ready to make the jump to stardom. But take that away and he's a fairly ho-hum offensive player, some might even say below average:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/caldwke01.html

Defensively he is obviously valuable, but not sure he's anything more than the defensive equivalent of Lou Williams at this point.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
I'll admit it, it's early, but I haven't seen one thing that makes me say, "oh I get it, that's what's special about him". KCP seems like just another guy. I'd rather see Clarkson or BI get his minutes.

Part of the hype comes from the idea that DET was holding him back, or that he was just about ready to make the jump to stardom. But take that away and he's a fairly ho-hum offensive player, some might even say below average:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/caldwke01.html

Defensively he is obviously valuable, but not sure he's anything more than the defensive equivalent of Lou Williams at this point.

And the other part is the tendency for people around these parts to deify newly acquired players. As far as his defensive prowess, it hasn't been obvious to me yet.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

KCP is the kind of player that looks like he belongs playing the 2 for a team like OKC over Roberson instead of on a rebuilding team as one of their main offensive threats. But we'll see I guess.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KCP is the kind of player that looks like he belongs playing the 2 for a team like OKC over Roberson instead of on a rebuilding team as one of their main offensive threats. But we'll see I guess.

I'm not so sure they'd want him , especially at 18mil.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject:

Hopefully, he is saving it for the regular season.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject:

He made some good passes last night. He plays good defense. His shot.... ummm... well...
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

He's not going to be the offensive player people thought he'd be. Twelve to fourteen ppg sounds about right. Also his 3pt ability is another overhyped part of his game. I see him at 34% from 3pt and no more. Eventually Walton will have to decide wether his defense is that good for him to be considered a starter, or will he have to go with someone else that shoot better. Actually I'm impressed with Caruso, sort of an energy guy that plays that scrappy defense but has no fear in taking the tough shot. He also moves the ball around very well.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

I'm really just hoping KCP is in cruise control until the season starts. (Which is kinda funny cuz he'll be suspended for the first two games lol)

He's had a few nice plays, but overall hasn't really stood out to me.

It's early as hell but if we miss out on PG & LBJ I'd rather go after Avery Bradley than retain him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I'm really just hoping KCP is in cruise control until the season starts. (Which is kinda funny cuz he'll be suspended for the first two games lol)

It's early as hell but if we miss out on PG & LBJ I'd rather go after Avery Bradley than retain him

What's troubling is he shouldn't be in cruise control at his age. He's only 24 even if he looks/seems older, and he's also fighting for a big contract.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
22 wrote:

What's troubling is he shouldn't be in cruise control at his age. He's only 24 even if he looks/seems older, and he's also fighting for a big contract.

now you got me depressed lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
22 wrote:

now you got me depressed lol

I don't think the Lakers are going to resign him no matter what. He is just overpaid at $18M per season. He will be looking for something similar for multiple years.

If we do let him walk, we have to sign a starting caliber SG considering there is a strong likelihood JC gets traded. If we get PG then he can play SG but our backup will be Hart which doesn't sound too appealing to me either.

If we do sign PG, I hope the FO decides to keep JC as the primary backup. I believe that is a better option considering Kuz is showing enough starting material qualities to allow us to trade Nance or JR but definitely Deng (stretched).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Defensively he’s been really good, all we really need from him offensively in production is 12-14PPG.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

So far he’s been more useless than Deng was last year but he’s just a one year rental so it doesn’t matter
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Looks lost off the ball.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping he would give us 15 ppg but he's not even better than Vander blue out there.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
he's a better defender than both of them. thats whats special about him.

but its hard to tell when the entire team is young just about and our defense lacks at every position. if that were not the case, a guy like KCP would really shine on a championship caliber team.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject:

He's made some nice passes but his scoring has been disappointing.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject:

not living up to his 18M contract.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:

Offensively he's been more like "Poop from Heaven"!
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
22 wrote:

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject:

this is all new for him.....I will give him some time to transition before i reach any kind of conclusion on how he benefits the team. It takes some guys time to feel comfortable in a new system.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

The classic LG overhype followed by an angry recoil. I've said from the beginning, KCP is an acceptable NBA player, not great, not good, just pretty good. He got the last $18 million of our salary allotment, so he'll play his year in LA and move on.

What bothers me most is that he cost us a cheap, high energy defensive player in Nwaba. That definitely was a bad idea.

http://www.nba.com/video/2017/10/10/20171010-block-night-botn#/
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
The classic LG overhype followed by an angry recoil. I've said from the beginning, KCP is an acceptable NBA player, not great, not good, just pretty good. He got the last $18 million of our salary allotment, so he'll play his year in LA and move on.

What bothers me most is that he cost us a cheap, high energy defensive player in Nwaba. That definitely was a bad idea.

I liked Nwaba too although one LG member might be right when he said we always overrate our scrubs. lol. Maybe since the Bulls have a ton of point guards we can pick him up in the future if he's released.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

I liked Nwaba too although one LG member might be right when he said we always overrate our scrubs. lol. Maybe since the Bulls have a ton of point guards we can pick him up in the future if he's released.

Nwaba wasn't overhyped, KCP is.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

So far he's looked average to mediocre on offense and above average to good on defense. One thing I do appreciate is his effort. For a 1 year rental it's not too bad
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 32 of 182
Jump to: