OFFICIAL NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (2017-18)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (2017-18)

Just wanted to create a thread where the performance of candidates that will be chasing ROY award this season. To begin the season, I think the following guys are on the radar based on their draft position and SL / Preseason performance.

Ben Simmons
Markelle Fultz
Lonzo Ball
Jayson Tatum
Josh Jackson
De'Aaron Fox
Jonathan Isaac
Dennis Smith Jr.
Malik Monk
Donovan Mitchell

& Kyle Kuzma

Sure as the season progresses, the list will narrow...and maybe additional rookies will play into consideration.

Last edited by adkindo on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2017-18 NBA ROY

adkindo wrote:
Just wanted to create a thread where the performance of candidates that will be chasing ROY award this season. To begin the season, I think the following guys are on the radar based on their draft position and SL / Preseason performance.

Ben Simmons
Markelle Fultz
Lonzo Ball
Jayson Tatum
Josh Jackson
De'Aaron Fox
Jonathan Isaac
Dennis Smith Jr.
Malik Monk
Donovan Mitchell

& Kyle Kuzma

Sure as the season progresses, the list will narrow...and maybe additional rookies will play into consideration.

If I had to lay down money, I'd go with Simmons. He has a lot of talent, and just as importantly, he's going to get the keys to the 76ers right from the get-go.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

If Tatum or Monk were the featured young players on an upstart team, I'd bet on either one of them winning it. Maybe Donovan Mitchell too. I'm such a huge fan of Monk and when I heard the Lakers were trying to get another lotto pick I wanted them to get him so badly.

DSJ has been great and I think is the frontrunner this year. Really like how Josh Jackson's played too. I think Kyle Kuzma has a legit shot if he starts or plays starters' minutes... but I think he'd have to start, right?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

On 22 shots but some nice passes here too:

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball. Simmons and Embiid will have to share attention with both each other as well as Embiid and Saric, so they won't stand out as much.

Taytum is on a stacked team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lonzo Ball. Simmons and Embiid will have to share attention with both each other as well as Embiid and Saric, so they won't stand out as much.

The 76ers are a question mark. Embiid depends entirely on health. I think the 76ers would love nothing more than for Simmons to lose out on the Rookie of the Year because Embiid played the whole season. Saric is a good player but I don't see that he's any more significant than a lot of players on a lot of the teams with rookies in contention for the award. He's really an under-the-radar guy.

Lonzo will certainly get a dominant role, so he is certainly in the mix. If Kuzma continues to play well, he could certainly Bogart a lot of votes, if not win the award himself. Of course, there's a whole season in front of us, a lot could happen, and I expect the rookies to have the traditional ups and downs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
If Tatum or Monk were the featured young players on an upstart team, I'd bet on either one of them winning it. Maybe Donovan Mitchell too. I'm such a huge fan of Monk and when I heard the Lakers were trying to get another lotto pick I wanted them to get him so badly.

DSJ has been great and I think is the frontrunner this year. Really like how Josh Jackson's played too. I think Kyle Kuzma has a legit shot if he starts or plays starters' minutes... but I think he'd have to start, right?

maybe....but I am not sure....historically it has came down to the guy that just puts up the biggest numbers....so if he is getting heavy minutes off the bench, and scoring 15+ PPG....I would assume he would have to be given serious consideration.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The 76ers are a question mark. Embiid depends entirely on health. I think the 76ers would love nothing more than for Simmons to lose out on the Rookie of the Year because Embiid played the whole season. Saric is a good player but I don't see that he's any more significant than a lot of players on a lot of the teams with rookies in contention for the award. He's really an under-the-radar guy.

Lonzo will certainly get a dominant role, so he is certainly in the mix. If Kuzma continues to play well, he could certainly Bogart a lot of votes, if not win the award himself. Of course, there's a whole season in front of us, a lot could happen, and I expect the rookies to have the traditional ups and downs.

yeah, that is true also....if say it is close between Simmons, Lonzo and Kuzma....have to assume Simmons would be the favorite as Lonzo and Kuzma would split at lot of votes....same thing if Simmons and Fultz both play well.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

You mind if this thread is pretty expansive about rookie class discussion?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

I think Simmons has the best shot if healthy. Its much easier for a 6'10 250 PF to put up the stats needed to win ROTY than a smaller guard. I would say Lonzo has the best shot of the guards along with Dennis Smith Jr.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I've been hoping for a thread like this. It's a very exciting rookie class
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
On 22 shots but some nice passes here too:

It's great to see Clifford and his staff get Monk to work on running simple PnR action early on.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I think Simmons has the best shot if healthy. Its much easier for a 6'10 250 PF to put up the stats needed to win ROTY than a smaller guard. I would say Lonzo has the best shot of the guards along with Dennis Smith Jr.

Simmons is playing point guard, but he's really part of the new generation of positionless players. He'll probably spend most of his time at point on offense, but power forward on defense. My guess is he'll be listed as a guard on the all-star ballot.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

Gonna come down to Simmons and Lonzo tbh
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

I've been hoping for a thread like this. It's a very exciting rookie class

There are enough good rookies for three normal draft classes! Heck, Furkan Korkmaz was one of my favorite players in last year's draft, Bogdan Bogdanovic is coming off of leading his team to the Euroleague Championship game, and even Zhou Qi will get some occasional burn - there are almost too many intriguing storylines to follow.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:

Simmons is playing point guard, but he's really part of the new generation of positionless players. He'll probably spend most of his time at point on offense, but power forward on defense. My guess is he'll be listed as a guard on the all-star ballot.

I'm aware of that but that wasn't really my point. I believe his size (NBA ready body) gives him a distinct advantage over the smaller players. It doesn't matter whether hes labeled PG or PF. I was just referring to that to reference his size. Historically the bigger rookies have done better while the smaller guys take longer to adjust. There are always anomalies. I think Lonzo has a shot to take it too.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Sixers' Ben Simmons overtakes Lonzo Ball as NBA Rookie of the Year favorite

Quote:
Since he missed all of last season due to a foot injury, it's easy to forget that Philadelphia 76ers forward Ben Simmons is actually still a rookie. Vegas surely hasn't forgotten, as the 2016 No. 1 overall draft pick has now vaulted past Lakers guard Lonzo Ball to become the NBA Rookie of the Year favorite.

LINK

#2 - Ball - 7/2
#8 - Kuzma - 20/1 Kuzma on the board!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:

I'm aware of that but that wasn't really my point. I believe his size (NBA ready body) gives him a distinct advantage over the smaller players. It doesn't matter whether hes labeled PG or PF. I was just referring to that to reference his size. Historically the bigger rookies have done better while the smaller guys take longer to adjust. There are always anomalies. I think Lonzo has a shot to take
it too.

I always thought the big guys did better earlier too, but when I do a quick scan of the last decade of rookie classes, and Rookie of the Year winners, it actually didn't seem that was the case
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking of Avery Bradley as a reasonable upside comparison for Mitchell earlier this year, but he's looking like he has low-key star potential.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Donovan Mitchell is going to make some noise this season.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Oh wow Malik monk is blowing up who would have possibly guessed
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

And he's rebounding!

It's too early to second guess picks, but imagine Monk on the Sixers playing off of Simmons and Embiid. And they would still have both the Lakers and Sacto's picks unprotected in 2018/19.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Do the Suns never televise their preseason games or something? I want to watch Jackson.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

Jaaahsh JACKSOoonnnn

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

And he's rebounding!

It's too early to second guess picks, but imagine Monk on the Sixers playing off of Simmons and Embiid. And they would still have both the Lakers and Sacto's picks unprotected in 2018/19.

Fultz was the right choice for them, but when you consider Malik Monk's role in their offense, was it worth what they gave up to get Fultz when Monk was sitting right there at 3?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: