Can Ingram fulfill Magic's vision of him averaging 18+ ppg?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Brandon Ingram avg 18+ ppg this season?
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 91 ]
Total Votes : 106

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
2019 wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
It may be short-sighted but at this point I might package Ingram and Deng to Atlanta for expirings (Bellinelli, Ilyasova) and Taurean Prince, who is also a promising prospect.

I might also package Nance for a future pick.

That should give us about 70m in cap space to go for Lebron (33m), George (30m) and Beverly (7m).

I think Kuzma is the future.

My new 2018 pipe dream Laker team:

C - Lopez, Zubac, T Bryant
F - Lebron, Randle
F - Kuzma, Prince, Brewer
G - PG13, Hart
G - Lonzo, Beverly (sign with cap space), T Ennis

Magic's ego and short sightedness blew the chance to get PG here. He's staying in OKC. No PG = no LeBron.

Maybe Cousins wants to come here and we punt the remaining cap space to 2019 but to use Ingram to dup salary right now is foolish without having that one guy to attract the rest.

(Here is where a link to the "Should we have traded Ingram for PG" thread should go)

Well see about that if OKC wants to pay the luxury tax.

Nothing to see, they are paying luxury tax
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

Not this season. Maybe in a couple of years. I really like Ingram a lot. I think he'll click in the near future. But he's to thin so he gets bumped a lot taking to the hole, and his jumper looked way off last night. Over time I think he'll get it right. He has too many physical tools to contribute in other ways than scoring. I like how he gets way up there for rebounds. He can bring the ball up. He can pass. And he can defend. He'll get there in scoring I believe, but no, not this season.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

He needs to be the Lakers swiss army knife guy. A little bit of this (scoring when needed) a little bit of that (defense).

!...
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

Love the crazy shift from topic heading (can he ...) to message body (will he...).

Can he average 18+ this season ? Sure, why not. It's possible.

Will he average 18+ this season ? Beats the heck outta me

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

BI needs a "reset" for this season. Just go back to how he was playing at the end of last year. Build on that and make positive strides for your team to win.

If BI gets relegated to the bench, so be it. If not, then great.

Whatever the team needs is what BI should deliver. Forget what Magic said in the summer.

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

IIRC Magic actually said he wanted BI scoring 20 ppg. I'd be happy with BI just averaging 15 points, 7 rebs and just playing Tayshaun Prince type defense. This notion of Magic wanting him to be our leading scorer is nuts.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
IIRC Magic actually said he wanted BI scoring 20 ppg. I'd be happy with BI just averaging 15 points, 7 rebs and just playing Tayshaun Prince type defense. This notion of Magic wanting him to be our leading scorer is nuts.

Luke and Rob were pumping it out there, too. It's hard to know if they were all in agreement or just toeing the line. Luke doesn't appear to a great talent evaluator either.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
He needs to be the Lakers swiss army knife guy. A little bit of this (scoring when needed) a little bit of that (defense).

The best game Ingram has played in a Lakers uniform in my eyes:

Luke's gotta show this to BI on repeat, I like this game from him as the foundation for the kind of player he can be.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
2019 wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
It may be short-sighted but at this point I might package Ingram and Deng to Atlanta for expirings (Bellinelli, Ilyasova) and Taurean Prince, who is also a promising prospect.

I might also package Nance for a future pick.

That should give us about 70m in cap space to go for Lebron (33m), George (30m) and Beverly (7m).

I think Kuzma is the future.

My new 2018 pipe dream Laker team:

C - Lopez, Zubac, T Bryant
F - Lebron, Randle
F - Kuzma, Prince, Brewer
G - PG13, Hart
G - Lonzo, Beverly (sign with cap space), T Ennis

Magic's ego and short sightedness blew the chance to get PG here. He's staying in OKC. No PG = no LeBron.

Maybe Cousins wants to come here and we punt the remaining cap space to 2019 but to use Ingram to dup salary right now is foolish without having that one guy to attract the rest.

(Here is where a link to the "Should we have traded Ingram for PG" thread should go)

Well see about that if OKC wants to pay the luxury tax.

That's the worst argument I've heard and yet people keep saying it... this is a different NBA ownership climate than when they didn't want to pay Harden, Ibaka, WB, and KD. Way different. That and maybe given all the ups and downs of the Thunder + knowing they blew a chance at a 10-12 year dynasty level team, maybe Bennett has learned what it takes to win.

BTW, winning = $$$
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Kinda off topic, but the fact that Ingram, so far in 3 preseason games has been sucking is why I'm against high school players jumping straight to the NBA. Even if you go to one year of college like Ingram did, it won't make enough of a difference for plenty of guys, unless you have a mature body and build. Ideally NBA players should play at least 2 years of college ball before turning pro.

Since Ingram didn't do that we have to give him a couple years to become what he'll become. I'll be really stoked if he eventually becomes a Scottie Pippen type player. Pippen took about 4 years before he became the Pippen people remember.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I really dont see what others saw from last season that gave such high expectations of him

"Great attitude" and "knowing what it means to be a Laker."
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Luke's gotta show this to BI on repeat, I like this game from him as the foundation for the kind of player he can be.

I wonder if Luke knows this is what Ingram is, but has to make do with Magic's proclamations on their Only Untouchable #1 Scoring Future Superstar.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

The expectations of him scoring 18-20 PPG were always too high for my taste this year. I'm perfectly fine with him averaging 13-15 PPG with 5-6 boards and 32% from three
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Kinda off topic, but the fact that Ingram, so far in 3 preseason games has been sucking is why I'm against high school players jumping straight to the NBA. Even if you go to one year of college like Ingram did, it won't make enough of a difference for plenty of guys, unless you have a mature body and build. Ideally NBA players should play at least 2 years of college ball before turning pro.

Since Ingram didn't do that we have to give him a couple years to become what he'll become. I'll be really stoked if he eventually becomes a Scottie Pippen type player. Pippen took about 4 years before he became the Pippen people remember.

The best players need to go straight to the NBA. The top 10 ranked players in high school are usually the top 10 picks in the draft. They need to make their money and not slave under the false guise of "amateurism."
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I doubt he hits 20 PPG, he needs a consistent jumper first. I thing Ingram plays better as a playmaker. I think the ability to Iso score will come later. He has the talent for it, but he seems way to raw.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

I wonder if Luke knows this is what Ingram is, but has to make do with Magic's proclamations on their Only Untouchable #1 Scoring Future Superstar.

1:17 The #LonzoEffect
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject:

I want to see Magic's facial reaction after that disaster foray in the 4th quarter. I think he is in shock and hopefully wakes up to reality...

http://lakergifs.com/wp-content/uploads/magicsurprisedTW.gif

Last edited by JrR31 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Luke and Rob were pumping it out there, too. It's hard to know if they were all in agreement or just toeing the line. Luke doesn't appear to a great talent evaluator either.

You mean Mozgov wasn't worth the money!?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
The expectations of him scoring 18-20 PPG were always too high for my taste this year. I'm perfectly fine with him averaging 13-15 PPG with 5-6 boards and 32% from three

I never cared about PPG, but I did care about his shooting splits. I think my 46-47% (based on last season post-ASB) was way too optimistic an estimate. And I don't think my hope of 33% 3FG% is going to happen either.

I do think his FT% will hit >75%, which was my other hope for him.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

There is no sure way to know he would have came in and done any better staying four years. Garnett, Kobe, Lebron, these guys showed they had the stuff right away. If you really got it, I think it's gonna show either way. I don't think Ingram quite has "it" but can be a solid player still.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject:

I think he showed plenty last year to feel good about, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

What he didn't show was himself being the teams leading scorer...as others have mentioned he showed he can do a little bit of everything when he's playing well...assists, boards, points......

Generally happy with the FO, but I think they messed up declaring BI to be their go to scorer, that is not his game.....it just even more obvious and compounded by Kuzma, who actually does have that game Magic was talking about
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

There is no sure way to know he would have came in and done any better staying four years. Garnett, Kobe, Lebron, these guys showed they had the stuff right away. If you really got it, I think it's gonna show either way. I don't think Ingram quite has "it" but can be a solid player still.

The problem is, BI is nowhere near those guys' level as a prospect. Anyone who thought he was when we drafted him are getting the reality check they needed right now. His ceiling is a Jimmy Butler/PG13 level player in his prime, and I consider that optimism on my part.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

JrR31 wrote:
I want to see Magic's facial reaction after that disaster foray in the 4th quarter. I think he is in shock and hopefully wakes up to reality...

http://lakergifs.com/wp-content/uploads/magicsurprisedTW.gif

I would guess that he probably likes that Ingram tried to take over, something something macho bullcrap Kobe's airballs against the Jazz
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

I wanna see BI become a 3&D this season!!! forget the 20ppg, I mean forget the 15-18ppg, I mean forget about the ppg!!!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

BI took his best game yet of the preseason, and the Lakers best overall effort so far, and flushed it down the toilet by trying to be 'the man' at the end.

It's a simple matter of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut. And Brandon Ingram cannot overpower Rudy Gobert.

At this stage I don't want BI closing games. For now I wish Luke would go with Lopez, Randle, Kuzma, Lonzo, and whichever scoring guard is playing well to end games.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: