How will history remember Dwight Howard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Oscar reminds me a little bit of Joe DiMaggio and baseball DiMaggio at the time of his retirement was considered the consummate baseball player, but now he's hardly remembered

If anyone ever has a 56 game hitting streak, your analogy will be perfect. Joe was just before the TV era, and his career numbers were curtailed by the war. Other than a passing reference in Mrs. Robinson, the 56 game streak, and Marilyn Monroe, only baseball history geeks like me could really tell you much about him.

Well, I find baseball (like 99% of the Europeans) boring as hell. I have even bothered to understand the rules, and fail to see what is the point of watching the game. At the stadium, of course, things could be different and if one has played the game, also a different matter. I have never played ice hockey or American Football, but like them.

Point is: I know who DiMaggio was, that he was a great player besides Marilyn, who everyone around here knows, also.
No even basketball fans will remember who DW was in 10 years. Maybe for the interview in Orlando, just after SVG.
I will never forget Shawn Kemp. We have NBA in Portugal since 1987, and until 1993 only NBA Action + 1 compact game per week (with a one week delay). Game results did not show up in any paper, not we had a satellite dish with Teletext.
Magic assists, Kemp dunks, Nique dunks, MJ dunks and layups, were all I cared about.
Many made milliions because of Kemp showtime. I don't care about his cocaine seasons, nothing will erase the Glove alley oops, the Alton Lister craddle in your face and the almost FT line dunk vs Greece in the WC94.

I have no such memories of DW, only the Slam Dunk Superman.

Nick Van Exel clucth threes vs the Spurs in 1995 Playoffs are ahead, e.g. Eddie Jones facials on Shaw Bradley, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

[quote="Aeneas Hunter"]
activeverb wrote:
Oscar reminds me a little bit of Joe DiMaggio and baseball DiMaggio at the time of his retirement was considered the consummate baseball player, but now he's hardly remembered

If anyone ever has a 56 game hitting streak, your analogy will be perfect. Joe was just before the TV era, and his career numbers were curtailed by the war. Other than a passing reference in Mrs. Robinson, the 56 game streak, and Marilyn Monroe, only baseball history geeks like me could really tell you much about him.[/quote

I read, maybe in Bill James book, that wind DiMaggio retired he didn't think the 56-game hitting streak was anything special. To him it was just one accomplishment among many accomplishments. But as time went on, and he was eclipsed by other players, he hung on to that 56-game streak for dear life because it was the only thing that made him stand out.

Parenthetically, DiMaggio was also ticked off by the mrs. Robinson song. He didn't understand the line where did you go Joe DiMaggio because he was still around. He ended up on some TV talk show ones with Paul Simon who explained to him during the break what the song actually meant]
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

If anyone ever has a 56 game hitting streak, your analogy will be perfect. Joe was just before the TV era, and his career numbers were curtailed by the war. Other than a passing reference in Mrs. Robinson, the 56 game streak, and Marilyn Monroe, only baseball history geeks like me could really tell you much about him.

I read, maybe in Bill James book, that wind DiMaggio retired he didn't think the 56-game hitting streak was anything special. To him it was just one accomplishment among many accomplishments. But as time went on, and he was eclipsed by other players, he hung on to that 56-game streak for dear life because it was the only thing that made him stand out.

Parenthetically, DiMaggio was also ticked off by the mrs. Robinson song. He didn't understand the line where did you go Joe DiMaggio because he was still around. He ended up on some TV talk show ones with Paul Simon who explained to him during the break what the song actually meant

Joe was a odd guy. Any time he made a public appearance, he insisted on being introduced as the greatest living baseball player, or something like that. He was careful with his public image in a way that is common today (think Peyton Manning), but that was not at all common back then. I don't believe that I ever saw an interview where he showed anything that he didn't want us to see.

Anyway, I won't be surprised if Oscar's ranking slides over the course of time. People have heard of the triple-double season, but few people know anything else about Oscar. No one even talked about triple doubles back then. With Wilt averaging 50 points in a season, and Wilt and Russell averaging about 25 rebounds, it probably didn't seem like a big deal at the time. Then came the '80s and all of the hype about Magic and his triple doubles. Until last season, averaging a triple double just seemed unthinkable, much like the 56 game hitting streak. Now we've seen Westbrook do it under modern conditions (especially the slower game pace), and he almost didn't win the MVP.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Parenthetically, DiMaggio was also ticked off by the mrs. Robinson song. He didn't understand the line where did you go Joe DiMaggio because he was still around. He ended up on some TV talk show ones with Paul Simon who explained to him during the break what the song actually meant

Joe was a odd guy. Any time he made a public appearance, he insisted on being introduced as the greatest living baseball player, or something like that. He was careful with his public image in a way that is common today (think Peyton Manning), but that was not at all common back then. I don't believe that I ever saw an interview where he showed anything that he didn't want us to see.

Anyway, I won't be surprised if Oscar's ranking slides over the course of time. People have heard of the triple-double season, but few people know anything else about Oscar. No one even talked about triple doubles back then. With Wilt averaging 50 points in a season, and Wilt and Russell averaging about 25 rebounds, it probably didn't seem like a big deal at the time. Then came the '80s and all of the hype about Magic and his triple doubles. Until last season, averaging a triple double just seemed unthinkable, much like the 56 game hitting streak. Now we've seen Westbrook do it under modern conditions (especially the slower game pace), and he almost didn't win the MVP.

Joe was weird: His private life was flamboyant, with Marilyn and those alleged Mafia ties, but he was one of the most bland public personalities I can remember.

You're right about Wilt/Oscar and the perception of their accomplishments at the time. Oscar had his triple double season the same year Wilt averaged 50 ppg (and had the 100 point game). Neither of them won the MVP. It went to Bill Russell.
Magic Ball
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Not fondly, I don't think.

A great player, but the post-Orlando portion of his career has been flooded with drama. Unless something unforeseen happens real soon, he's going to be remember as a manchild who ruined his own career by being an immature brat.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject:

He'll be remembered as his favorite: a joke.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject:

Seven turnovers tonight, in 27 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

ESPN prediction LOL:

Cody Zeller wins his starting spot back from Dwight Howard

Charlotte will resist as long as possible. The Hornets have invested sweat equity in Howard. Steve Clifford loves him. They have concerns about Zeller's ability to bang every night with enemy starting centers. Howard is not the sort of player who offers more value as a reserve, and the Hornets might lose him if they go this route.

But it feels kind of inevitable. Zeller is an eager-beaver, rough-housing screen-setter who fits well with Kemba Walker and Nicolas Batum. He's faster diving from the arc to the rim than Howard, and has improved his finishing. He will not demand post touches, or pout when he doesn't get them. He can't touch Howard as an individual rebounder, but he's one of those Nene/Roy Hibbert types who boxes out so teammates can get the statistical credit. Charlotte was an elite defensive rebounding team with Zeller, anyway.

The Hornets famously plummeted to 3-17 without him last season. That wasn't all about Zeller, obviously. It was about the, umm, quality of his backups, and the rest of a thin roster. But something about his game clicks.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ESPN prediction LOL:

Charlotte will resist as long as possible. The Hornets have invested sweat equity in Howard. Steve Clifford loves him. They have concerns about Zeller's ability to bang every night with enemy starting centers. Howard is not the sort of player who offers more value as a reserve, and the Hornets might lose him if they go this route.

But it feels kind of inevitable. Zeller is an eager-beaver, rough-housing screen-setter who fits well with Kemba Walker and Nicolas Batum. He's faster diving from the arc to the rim than Howard, and has improved his finishing. He will not demand post touches, or pout when he doesn't get them. He can't touch Howard as an individual rebounder, but he's one of those Nene/Roy Hibbert types who boxes out so teammates can get the statistical credit. Charlotte was an elite defensive rebounding team with Zeller, anyway.

The Hornets famously plummeted to 3-17 without him last season. That wasn't all about Zeller, obviously. It was about the, umm, quality of his backups, and the rest of a thin roster. But something about his game clicks.

I like Zeller.
Tom Chambers calliber hops.
DW has wider shoulders, and that's about it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ESPN prediction LOL:

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Both Howard and Zeller have very different games, so they may work out OK as the tag team Charlotte currently envisions. And both of them seem to miss a lot of games, so injuries may sort out playing time naturally.

No matter which of them plays, Charlotte is an irrelevant team, so outside their fan base I don't see this mattering much except for those who get some pleasure in the drama that is Dwight. But I think that's a pretty small group. He'll play a few more years, and probably put up double-doubles so his career stat line will look OK, but he doesn't matter anymore.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
ESPN prediction LOL:

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Both Howard and Zeller have very different games, so they may work out OK as the tag team Charlotte currently envisions. And both of them seem to miss a lot of games, so injuries may sort out playing time naturally.

No matter which of them plays, Charlotte is an irrelevant team, so outside their fan base I don't see this mattering much except for those who get some pleasure in the drama that is Dwight. But I think that's a pretty small group. He'll play a few more years, and probably put up double-doubles so his career stat line will look OK, but he doesn't matter anymore.

It'd be fun if MJ Kwame Brown-ed Dwight.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

It'd be fun if MJ Kwame Brown-ed Dwight.

I don't see that happening -- Dwight has a big ego and he's a likely Hall of Famer, so it's hard to imagine MJ being to do anything at this point that would get under his skin all that much.

The real question, to me, is whether the humiliation of being traded for virtually nothing will cause Howard to focus and not do all the silly shenanigans. So far, he and his teammates are all saying the right things.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

it will rarely remember

You'll see him mentioned when:

Lakers vs Magic Finals
dunk contest
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: