Jeanie Buss on NBATV's Open Court - Owners Episode

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Jeanie Buss on NBATV's Open Court - Owners Episode

For those who don't know, Open Court is a show on NBATV that features a host and a panel (usually 6 or 7 players, coaches, or executives) that discusses various basketball related topics.

There have been many episodes over the years, but a recent one, titled "Owners" and featuring a panel of NBA team owners, was one of the better episodes I've seen so far. The panel includes:

Jeannie Buss
Mark Cuban (Dallas)
Dan Gilbert (Cleveland)
Steve Ballmer (Clippers)
Joe Lacob (Golden State)
Tony Ressler (Atlanta)

If you want to hear what Jeanie and other owners have to say about our Lakers, the NBA, and us fans - or are just interested in the business side of pro basketball - check it out.

I couldn't find the entire episode available to watch online. There are clips on YouTube (example) and NBA.com (example); the longest one I found so far is this one, which is a bit less than half of the hour long episode.

You can catch reruns on NBATV - I'm not sure how reliable this site is but here is a list of the upcoming air times/dates. Or if you'd rather just read what Jeanie had to say, I made notes of most all of her quotes:

Quote:
Matt Winer (Host): "Jeanie, you obviously have been a part of championship culture with the LA Lakers; how do you as an owner affect change toward that goal?"

Jeanie: "What I think the role of an owner is: to put together all the pieces, we're the producers, we put everything together so that the team can be the best that they can be, that they can meet their expectations of who they are as players and maybe even exceed them and come together as a team. And winning a championship is really difficult. It's really hard. And every year that's your goal..."

Quote:
(on putting together her front office) "For me it's about being of like mind... that there's communication, collaboration... recently I made a big change and brought in Magic Johnson as the president... it's about having a vision, and then making every decision that reflects that vision. And what was missing with our team for a few years was we were changing coaches every 18 months, emphasizing defense then emphasizing offense... the roster can't change that quickly, so it just seemed like we were spinning our wheels. So what I want to see is just a process where every decision complements the one before and that we're going in a direction that our fans can understand and be patient. Because you can't win every year but if you know that they're not wasting money signing bad contracts that get you stuck... I think I have that with Magic Johnson"

Quote:
(on strategy and decision making) "The way I was brought up, the way I was trained was that you always want to be in the playoffs. You always want to stay relevant... a bad year would be losing in the second round and a great year would be winning the championship. You can't always do that, but your players have to have playoff experience. It's a different game in the playoffs. So these teams that say 'we need to tank and we need to get really bad for a long time' - their players aren't gaining any valuable experience, you're wasting their time. Maybe even doing damage to their psyche... You should have the goal of getting in the playoffs and then things can happen... one broken hand, one bad knee away, and then you pull an upset. And the players gaining that playoff experience, it's like money in the bank."

Quote:
(on luck's role in a team's success) "even just this year, we took a lot of criticism because we won five of the last six games. We had to thread the needle because our draft pick was only top three protected. We finished with the fourth worst record. We shouldn't have kept that pick and we got lucky. And, you know, Magic Johnson's lucky."

Quote:
(on listening to fans) "I think any person in my position would be foolish not to listen. There's a difference between the fans and your customers. I think of the season seat holders as our customers, because they're writing checks for the tickets every year. And to get their feedback and hear what they have to say, whether it's positive or negative, you've gotta take that in. You can't be afraid of it."

Quote:
(on how much responsibility she feels to make herself available, even when things aren't going well) "I feel that it's important that I'm approachable and accessible to our fans. I read everything that's sent to me on Twitter, and sometimes I'm like 'Oh, this person hates me' and then I click on their profile and they're a Celtics fan, well of course they're gonna say terrible things, that makes sense. So I want the fans to be Laker fans, but really what's most important is that they're NBA fans. That they love their team and they can hate my team, that's okay, as long as they care about basketball and the NBA."

Quote:
(on what most keeps her up at night) "This past draft process, we had the number two pick and Magic asked me to meet all the young recruits that they brought in to work out. And so I met some great kids and realized that they're about to embark on their dream, the thing that they worked their whole life for. And they're about to get drafted. And I just think about how precious these careers are. They're very short - ten, twelve, in Kobe's case twenty years, which is so rare. And just making sure that they get all the opportunities to fulfill their dreams. I guess that's what I worry about is I just want everybody to do the best that they can and stay healthy."
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

Anyone else feel the insatiable urge to punch Gilbert in the face during this interview?
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I found Cuban, Ballmer and the Hawks owner to be very personable and typical fans. Both Lacob? and Gilbert sounded really annoying. Jeannie sounded like she's still living in the legacy of the Lakers, but sounded fine overall.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
I found Cuban, Ballmer and the Hawks owner to be very personable and typical fans. Both Lacob? and Gilbert sounded really annoying. Jeannie sounded like she's still living in the legacy of the Lakers, but sounded fine overall.

That should never change.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Unless we expect the team to contend in today’s game. It seems we instead have decided to live in the ‘80’s.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Unless we expect the team to contend in today’s game. It seems we instead have decided to live in the ‘80’s.

Yes, it's one thing to love your legacy and embrace it, but it's another to be stuck in it. I'm not saying she is, as obviously between her and Magic, they're attempting to get the team playing a pace and style that matches today's nba, but I do think as the owner you have to be looking forward. Again, that's why for me I thought she seemed fine overall in her comments and thought.
Liger24Zero
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Pretty good insight from the boss.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

You mean, short shorts ?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Yes, it's one thing to love your legacy and embrace it, but it's another to be stuck in it. I'm not saying she is, as obviously between her and Magic, they're attempting to get the team playing a pace and style that matches today's nba, but I do think as the owner you have to be looking forward. Again, that's why for me I thought she seemed fine overall in her comments and thought.

Jeannie has nothing to do with player personnel. Shes the visionary of the team and responsible for protecting the brand. If she doesn't believe in the greatness of the brand then shes unfit to be the visionary propelling them forward. They go hand in hand.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Jeannie has nothing to do with player personnel. Shes the visionary of the team and responsible for protecting the brand. If she doesn't believe in the greatness of the brand then shes unfit to be the visionary propelling them forward. They go hand in hand.

Agreed that she should be a visionary, but I think her setting a vision means she by default has something to do with player personnel. Magic consults with her on player related decisions (think it was mentioned by him pre-draft) and she wants that (something that was frustrating for her with the prior regime).
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

the 80's. you do realize we've won multiple rings in the 2000's right? of course not, that wouldnt fit the agenda.

i guess as long as we have ex champions hanging around. it means we're living in the 80's. only dumb teams or teams that dont have a championship culture...run from said culture.

The culture of winning never changes. The steady mindset of a champion never changes. I will say this for those who act as if they can't remember.

The warriors were losers for a very long time. They deserve to finally get a few rings. If you lose for that long, you're bound to hit the lottery/jackpot or pots a few times. If the lakers sucked for 40+ years. they would probably be due to get enough picks of high caliber players where they would be able to win rings today and attract yet another high powered player.

But that was not the case with the lakers. When the warriors were constantly trying to figure things out for decades. THe lakers were either winning rings, playing in the finals, or in the playoffs. You have to recognize this and realize in life no one has a setup where every year is your year or your time. There is always peaks and valleys. Over the decades you just want to make sure you have more peaks than valleys. Some of you just rather have more straight lines. But doing that, will usually mean you will have little to no peaks either. Thats the part that a lot of fans just dont understand. Sometimes you have to go down, then build your way back up to the peak.

Everyone wants to be the warriors, but no one truly wants to be the warriors. This is the team that has been losing for decades. They were down for a long time. now they have finally seen a peak.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

the 80's. you do realize we've won multiple rings in the 2000's right? of course not, that wouldnt fit the agenda.

i guess as long as we have ex champions hanging around. it means we're living in the 80's. only dumb teams or teams that dont have a championship culture...run from said culture.

The culture of winning never changes. The steady mindset of a champion never changes. I will say this for those who act as if they can't remember.

The warriors were losers for a very long time. They deserve to finally get a few rings. If you lose for that long, you're bound to hit the lottery/jackpot or pots a few times. If the lakers sucked for 40+ years. they would probably be due to get enough picks of high caliber players where they would be able to win rings today and attract yet another high powered player.

But that was not the case with the lakers. When the warriors were constantly trying to figure things out for decades. THe lakers were either winning rings, playing in the finals, or in the playoffs. You have to recognize this and realize in life no one has a setup where every year is your year or your time. There is always peaks and valleys. Over the decades you just want to make sure you have more peaks than valleys. Some of you just rather have more straight lines. But doing that, will usually mean you will have little to no peaks either. Thats the part that a lot of fans just dont understand. Sometimes you have to go down, then build your way back up to the peak.

Everyone wants to be the warriors, but no one truly wants to be the warriors. This is the team that has been losing for decades. They were down for a long time. now they have finally seen a peak.

You do know that Magic played in the 80’s, right? And that the Showtime he continues to reference was in the 80’s, right? The Warriors are winning because they got a couple of coaches who grasped how the game is played today, same with the Spurs who evolved with the game. We have no one in our FO who has had success with the way the game is played today. We just keep hearing Showtime and how players can be our Magic and Worthy.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We just keep hearing Showtime and how players can be our Magic and Worthy.

You're all wrong. Sometimes, I am convinced by Clarkson's play that he's our Larry Spriggs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We just keep hearing Showtime and how players can be our Magic and Worthy.

You're all wrong. Sometimes, I am convinced by Clarkson's play that he's our Larry Spriggs.

Nice name drop.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject:

Maybe Jeanie could preside over a playoff team before she's hailed as a "visionary".
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject:

Thought it was clear that Jeanie protects the brand and that Magic was hired to lay out the vision and execute.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this is already posted somewhere on the board (couldn't find it) but I came across a good in-depth interview with Jeannie here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-on-working-with-magic-johnson-and-drafting-lonzo-ball/

Discusses her decision to let go of Jim and Mitch, their current relationship (I interpreted it as irreparable), her first impressions of Magic (from when he was a rookie), the Phil/MDA coaching decision and her feelings around it and impact on their relationship, and a bit around drafting Lonzo and Luke.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

You do know that Magic played in the 80’s, right? And that the Showtime he continues to reference was in the 80’s, right? The Warriors are winning because they got a couple of coaches who grasped how the game is played today, same with the Spurs who evolved with the game. We have no one in our FO who has had success with the way the game is played today. We just keep hearing Showtime and how players can be our Magic and Worthy.

umm no, gstate is winning because they have the best shooters in the nba on their team.while also having multiple high iq players that can pass very well. with that combination of talent. anyone could win multiple rings.

They could play showtime basketball..Run Phils triangle, Run pops space it offense. or steve Kerr's Triangle/pop space it offense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: