Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 327, 328, 329 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

"he helped Brook Lopez make 134 threes last season"

Was Kenny out there with Brook shootin' in the gym? By all accounts, that was something Brook took upon himself to make himself a more attractive player in the modern NBA.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

The facts are that Luke was being criticized for his coaching decisions and the results they produced where Atkinson was being praised despite making what you pointed out was a poor coaching decision leading to a blowout loss. Didn't Nick and Lou put up some career numbers under Luke? Again it's the grass is greener syndrome where everything we don't have is better than what we have. We also had several injuries last year that impacted our record, every team does, every season. Atkinson may very well turn out to be the better coach but there's nothing objective to determine that at this point.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:

Was Kenny out there with Brook shootin' in the gym? By all accounts, that was something Brook took upon himself to make himself a more attractive player in the modern NBA.

You think a coach with extensive history in player development has nothing to do with this? He has Mozgov shooting threes with confidence in preseason too. Moz is taking steps to the corner to take threes. Mozgov shot 0 threes last season. This isn't a coincidence.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
The facts are that Luke was being criticized for his coaching decisions and the results they produced where Atkinson was being praised despite making what you pointed out was a poor coaching decision leading to a blowout loss. Didn't Nick and Lou put up some career numbers under Luke? Again it's the grass is greener syndrome where everything we don't have is better than what we have. We also had several injuries last year that impacted our record, every team does, every season. Atkinson may very well turn out to be the better coach but there's nothing objective to determine that at this point.

Or Kenny Atkinson wanted to see what his team could do without Lin and D'Lo carrying them in a meaningless preseason game? Unfortunately Atkinson didn't realize manlisten would take this to be proof that he ain't all that. Furthermore, what is it with you people and criticism? Just because people say that Atkinson is better and more experienced than Luke doesn't mean Luke sucks. It means looking at their experience prior to their first coaching jobs, and evaluating their coaching jobs, one guy is better than the other. No reason for such sensitivity.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Or Kenny Atkinson wanted to see what his team could do without Lin and D'Lo carrying them in a meaningless preseason game? Unfortunately Atkinson didn't realize manlisten would take this to be proof that he ain't all that. Furthermore, what is it with you people and criticism? Just because people say that Atkinson is better and more experienced than Luke doesn't mean Luke sucks. It means looking at their experience prior to their first coaching jobs, and evaluating their coaching jobs, one guy is better than the other. No reason for such sensitivity.

Nobody is getting sensitive dude. It's just peculiar how differently each coach is being evaluated. Even in this post you rationalize his rotations whereas Luke gets hammered for experimenting in preseason. I'm not saying you in particular but that seems to be the general sentiment from some. And then you credit the Nets for starting 3-0 and beating Miami but when they get blown out it's a 'meaningless preseason game'. Something else to keep in mind is that the Nets had about a week of training camp before their first game and the Lakers had 3 days if I'm not mistaken.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."

Last edited by manlisten on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Username wrote:

You think a coach with extensive history in player development has nothing to do with this? He has Mozgov shooting threes with confidence in preseason too. Moz is taking steps to the corner to take threes. Mozgov shot 0 threes last season. This isn't a coincidence.

Mosgov shot 24 three's with Denver in 2013. This isn't some totally unheard of development that Kenny Atkinson has unearthed.

Atkinson's offense is more predicated around the 3-point shot and Brook took advantage of that to work on his game and keep himself relevant as a slow, plodding big man in 2017. He's spoken about this plenty. It wasn't Atkinson saying "we're going to make you into a 3-point shooter" it was Brook taking the initiative to say "this is what I have to do to survive."

I guess you can give Atkinson props for giving him the green light, but to act as if he should somehow get credit for developing Brook is about as disingenuous as trying to give Luke credit for Kuzma all of the sudden looking like some sort of deadeye shooter.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:

Mosgov shot 24 three's with Denver in 2013. This isn't some totally unheard of development that Kenny Atkinson has unearthed.

Atkinson's offense is more predicated around the 3-point shot and Brook took advantage of that to work on his game and keep himself relevant as a slow, plodding big man in 2017. He's spoken about this plenty. It wasn't Atkinson saying "we're going to make you into a 3-point shooter" it was Brook taking the initiative to say "this is what I have to do to survive."

I guess you can give Atkinson props for giving him the green light, but to act as if he should somehow get credit for developing Brook is about as disingenuous as trying to give Luke credit for Kuzma all of the sudden looking like some sort of deadeye shooter.

lol Do people not get nuance? Is it either one or the other? I said he helped him. He's not physically making threes for either player. The only thing that's disingenuous is your response.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Some more information for you on how Atkinson helped Lopez and others improve three point shooting. Since apparently I'm making it up. lol

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/3/16/14943966/changing-course-how-kenny-atkinson-turned-brook-lopez-into-a-three-point-threat

"During those four years, the Hawks hoisted up 8,495 threes’ in total, hitting 36.6 percent ... and a big part of the Hawks’ three-point barrage became Al Horford.

Key word: became.

Horford entered the league in 2007, and over his first five seasons, he attempted 12 three-pointers. Over the next two seasons, Atkinson, who had been lobbying for Horford to stretch the floor, put up 17 threes’, which then grew exponentially to 36 attempts in 2014-15, and 256 (!!) last year, hitting 34 percent."

“I used to fight; ‘here he is, a good mid-range shooter,’ and these guys are big and strong,” said Atkinson said of Horford, who played back-to-back All Star Games in 2015 and 2016 and originally doing so in 2009 and 2010. “(I used to wonder) as big and strong as they are why can’t they step out three more feet?”

Last edited by KBH on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Nobody is getting sensitive dude. It's just peculiar how differently each coach is being evaluated. Even in this post you rationalize his rotations whereas Luke gets hammered for experimenting in preseason. I'm not saying you in particular but that seems to be the general sentiment from some. And then you credit the Nets for starting 3-0 and beating Miami but when they get blown out it's a 'meaningless preseason game'. Something else to keep in mind is that the Nets had about a week of training camp before their first game and the Lakers had 3 days if I'm not mistaken.

It's not rationalization, it's a possible reason. You're the one taking one coaching decision and extrapolating it to fit a narrative. I'm providing information and context.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion
ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)ləˈzāSH(ə)n,ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)līˈzāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action of attempting to explain or justify behavior or an attitude with logical reasons, even if these are not appropriate.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
ra·tion·al·i·za·tion
ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)ləˈzāSH(ə)n,ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)līˈzāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action of attempting to explain or justify behavior or an attitude with logical reasons, even if these are not appropriate.

lmao Let's say that you're right that it was just a horrid coaching decision. What does that prove? Please enlighten us. Especially in comparison to every other way in which he's demonstrably better and more experienced than Luke.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

It just proves that neither coach is perfect so when either makes a mistake it should be judged the same. That's all. So when Luke doesn't start Kuzma in a preseason game it's not the end of the world nor is it when Atkinson undermines his own offense.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Atkinson did a tremendous job with the Nets last season. What was their record again?

lol Watch the Nets play and you'll see a more organized offense that looks to push opportunistically, gets back on defense and makes the proper rotations. Everything we still struggle to do. I like Luke but Atkinson is pretty much what I envisioned Luke would be and he's doing it with less raw talent on his roster.

I was reading all that praise for Atkinson as I was watching the Nets get completely smoked by Philly . It was just funny how MJST was being so critical of Luke while pining for a guy that's even less proven.

lol The Nets are a team with far less talent than the Sixers, it's not surprising that they could run off the floor. The Nets got into a huge hole when both Russell and Lin went out at the same time, which they can't afford to do for any extended period of time because no one else can run their offense. Also, in no world is Atkinson less proven than Luke. Atkinson grinded his way from the bottom as a player development coach to head coach. Luke is where he is largely because he's had the right relationships to expedite his ascent.

We don't have much talent either TBH. I think the praise for Brooklyn and Atkinson is a bit much at this point. Again, purely looking at results, they won 20 games last year (and yes, I understand the talent cupboard is bare there, but you get judged on results) so it's crazy to anoint them as a team and coach that knows what they're doing after a few preseason games. I'm not saying he can't be a great coach - I do think he's a very good teacher that has a bright future. But right now, they're a bottom feeder and haven't accomplished anything (just like us), so I don't understand all the pining around here for their situation. There's a hint of "the grass is always greener on the other side" with those comments, which are kinda unfair to Luke, who's also only coached for one year and trying to build something from the ground up here.

We definitely have more raw talent. And again, it's not simply about winning. It's about how a team plays/executes. For example, the Celtics only won 26 games in Brad Stevens' rookie season, but that had more to do with his roster than his coaching. You could see immediately that they were running effective offense, but they just didn't have the horses. The same goes with Atkinson in Brooklyn. Without even getting into the fact that Jeremy Lin only played 31 games and they were much better when he was healthy, you could see that they're executing their offense but they just didn't have the players. And it's even more evident this preseason now that they've added players like Russell, Crabbe, etc., that fit what they're trying to do. Conversely, my criticisms about Luke have nothing to do with the fact that we won 26 games last season. It's that our offense devolves into iso ball after running one action, the team's transition defense still being poor, our half court defense still being poor, strange rotations and too many games where apparently guys aren't giving effort. These are coaching issues.

Fair enough. Some of Luke's in-game tendencies and overall weaknesses with schemes have pissed me off, too, but then I always remember that he really hasn't been doing this for long (certainly Atkinson had way more experience as an assistant that puts him ahead of the curve, compared to Luke). Luckily, it's only been one year, and I think it's fair to be as patient with him as we should be with any young player because although he has a lot of growing to do, there's no apparent reason at this point to assume he can't get there one day. Actually, the defensive improvement (and yes, there's DEFINITELY been improvement over last year these past couple of games) and positive early assessments of the offensive system from guys like Cranjis have me hopeful that we're going to see some growth from him this season.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
It just proves that neither coach is perfect...

So, like I expected, you really have no point. Neither coach is perfect may be the most useless words written in this thread not only because no one has acted like Atkinson is perfect, but it also applies to every coach in every sport.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

If that's all you gathered from it then more power to you
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
KBH wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Atkinson did a tremendous job with the Nets last season. What was their record again?

lol Watch the Nets play and you'll see a more organized offense that looks to push opportunistically, gets back on defense and makes the proper rotations. Everything we still struggle to do. I like Luke but Atkinson is pretty much what I envisioned Luke would be and he's doing it with less raw talent on his roster.

I was reading all that praise for Atkinson as I was watching the Nets get completely smoked by Philly . It was just funny how MJST was being so critical of Luke while pining for a guy that's even less proven.

lol The Nets are a team with far less talent than the Sixers, it's not surprising that they could run off the floor. The Nets got into a huge hole when both Russell and Lin went out at the same time, which they can't afford to do for any extended period of time because no one else can run their offense. Also, in no world is Atkinson less proven than Luke. Atkinson grinded his way from the bottom as a player development coach to head coach. Luke is where he is largely because he's had the right relationships to expedite his ascent.

We don't have much talent either TBH. I think the praise for Brooklyn and Atkinson is a bit much at this point. Again, purely looking at results, they won 20 games last year (and yes, I understand the talent cupboard is bare there, but you get judged on results) so it's crazy to anoint them as a team and coach that knows what they're doing after a few preseason games. I'm not saying he can't be a great coach - I do think he's a very good teacher that has a bright future. But right now, they're a bottom feeder and haven't accomplished anything (just like us), so I don't understand all the pining around here for their situation. There's a hint of "the grass is always greener on the other side" with those comments, which are kinda unfair to Luke, who's also only coached for one year and trying to build something from the ground up here.

We definitely have more raw talent. And again, it's not simply about winning. It's about how a team plays/executes. For example, the Celtics only won 26 games in Brad Stevens' rookie season, but that had more to do with his roster than his coaching. You could see immediately that they were running effective offense, but they just didn't have the horses. The same goes with Atkinson in Brooklyn. Without even getting into the fact that Jeremy Lin only played 31 games and they were much better when he was healthy, you could see that they're executing their offense but they just didn't have the players. And it's even more evident this preseason now that they've added players like Russell, Crabbe, etc., that fit what they're trying to do. Conversely, my criticisms about Luke have nothing to do with the fact that we won 26 games last season. It's that our offense devolves into iso ball after running one action, the team's transition defense still being poor, our half court defense still being poor, strange rotations and too many games where apparently guys aren't giving effort. These are coaching issues.

Fair enough. Some of Luke's in-game tendencies and overall weaknesses with schemes have pissed me off, too, but then I always remember that he really hasn't been doing this for long (certainly Atkinson had way more experience as an assistant that puts him ahead of the curve, compared to Luke). Luckily, it's only been one year, and I think it's fair to be as patient with him as we should be with any young player because although he has a lot of growing to do, there's no apparent reason at this point to assume he can't get there one day. Actually, the defensive improvement (and yes, there's DEFINITELY been improvement over last year these past couple of games) and positive early assessments of the offensive system from guys like Cranjis have me hopeful that we're going to see some growth from him this season.

I'm totally willing to give Luke time. I like Luke and I think we have no choice but to invest in furthering his growth and development. We can't just keep cycling through coaches and he has high upside, imo. That said, he's in a tough position because he's learning and improving on the job with a young team and a coaching staff lacking decorated veterans to support him. Do I think we would have been better off looking "outside the family" to Atkinson? Do the Nets play closer to what I thought we would look like when we signed Luke? Yes. However, what's done is done and we need Luke to progress as much as we need a guy like Ingram to progress. Even if it's frustrating.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
If that's all you gathered from it then more power to you

If only you had anything to offer other than a platitude.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

Such is life.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:

This. Definitely this. It's a clear indication of bias that Atkinson's decisions can be contextualized under the guise of it only being preseason, but let's all scream bloody murder when Luke gives the ball to Ingram in the clutch so he can gain some level of experience in that kind of situation as the potential go to guy. The bias is absolutely incredible.

But that's the problem with the fair weather fan. It's all about the shortsightedness of the cool of the day.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
manlisten wrote:
KBH wrote:
manlisten wrote:

This. Definitely this. It's a clear indication of bias that Atkinson's decisions can be contextualized under the guise of it only being preseason, but let's all scream bloody murder when Luke gives the ball to Ingram in the clutch so he can gain some level of experience in that kind of situation as the potential go to guy. The bias is absolutely incredible.

But that's the problem with the fair weather fan. It's all about the shortsightedness of the cool of the day.

Lol if you think criticisms of Luke's coaching only surfaced this preseason, then you have hundreds of pages of reading to do in this thread. Furthermore, equating one substitution decision with charging a player with the no. 1 option status (particularly when there is a capable 20 ppg scorer on the team who played in the last game) without the skill set or physicality to handle such a load is a comical false equivalency. Just like criticisms of Ingram, the current criticisms are the result of not seeing enough progress from where we were last year. None of this means Ingram or Luke will be trash. However, it means your current performance is disappointing. And, yes, if people can't talk about why things are disappointing and compare you to peers, you're being sensitive.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Neither coach is perfect.

Atkinson is a much better coach than Luke.

Both are true.

Atkinson would have been better for the Lakers and Luke would have been better staying in Golden State and gaining more experience.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Neither coach is perfect.

Atkinson is a much better coach than Luke.

Both are true.

Atkinson would have been better for the Lakers and Luke would have been better staying in Golden State and gaining more experience.

Exactly. And I still think Luke can get there. And I'm happy to have him since being part of the family or a "name" coach seems to be a prerequisite for us. With that context, Luke was 100% the best hire. But if we were willing to look outside the box of either people who have connections to the Lakers or have brand name value, Atkinson was the best choice. And that's no insult to Luke. He had eight years of experience as either a developmental coach or assistant. Luke had two and has a relatively inexperienced coaching staff to boot.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

One area that seems to have improved with Luke so far is that he's mixing up his substitutions rather than doing the line changes he was infamous for last season. Hopefully, that carries forward into the regular season and isn't just a result of Luke trying to evaluate guys during the preseason.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/918551711484203008

So this is why head coaches are assistants for like a decade before they takeover

Just hope Lonzo makes it all look good...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 327, 328, 329 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 328 of 818
Jump to: