Kuzma ROY?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ROY?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 33 ]
No
61%
 61%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 86

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

I voted no. Not because he couldn't. But, too many players at his position that will prevent him from getting the PT and reps that a lot of other rookies will be getting, including Lonzo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
Based on his level of play? Yeah, he should absolutely be in that conversation if he can perform the same through the regular season. But, I think there's too many factors that take priority over one of our rookies winning the award. Even if Randle and Ingram are struggling to perform up to their hype, there's a good chance that the FO will decide to continue giving them feature minutes for exposure. The best case scenario for Kuzma is that he plays so well and consistently that he essentially forces the FO to reconsider their stance that Ingram is untouchable, for example. I'm not rooting against BI. I'm simply pointing out that they will want to build up the value of their trade chips if that becomes their line of thought.

Randle may not be with the team next year unless the FO strikes out entirely on signing a star or two to join the team. The salary situation along with JRs cap hold are well documented. Ingram plays the same position as PG13 and LeBron (if he refuses to play the 4) and possibly Kuzma as well depending on how Luke and the staff choose to use him in their lineups. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they eventually decide that a high lotto guy like Ingram could be used to trade for a star player. Or even worse, be used as the bait to unload Deng's contract. If the FO is convinced that a target like George or LBJ won't be attainable next summer, that could open up several other possibilities that aren't typically being mentioned.

Even if the FO aims to keep all of these developing young players, our roster and glut of forwards will make it difficult for Kuz to get enough PT to win the rookie award. It's tough to predict. Of course, injuries could easily change all of that. The bigger factor may be how many minutes they choose to hand out to Deng and Brewer for the 3 and 4 spots.

The only player that is guaranteed to get as many minutes as he can handle is Lonzo. Kuzma could fall prey to factors beyond his control. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

And so far Lonzo can’t handle many minutes
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Based on a very small sample size, I've seen no rookie with the all around skills of Kuzma. That being said, it would not be a stretch to say he has a reasonable shot at ROY. Remember, a seconder rounder won it last year.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

He very much has a chance if Luke gives him minutes.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Is there a more polished offensive player in this draft? Maybe Monk?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Is there a more polished offensive player in this draft? Maybe Monk?

Does he have a post or midrange game?
Magic Ball
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he'll get enough opportunities to be ROY, but I could see him ending up the best player in this class.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject:

Typo in the subject. You spelled MVP wrong.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rek wrote:
Based on his level of play? Yeah, he should absolutely be in that conversation if he can perform the same through the regular season. But, I think there's too many factors that take priority over one of our rookies winning the award. Even if Randle and Ingram are struggling to perform up to their hype, there's a good chance that the FO will decide to continue giving them feature minutes for exposure. The best case scenario for Kuzma is that he plays so well and consistently that he essentially forces the FO to reconsider their stance that Ingram is untouchable, for example. I'm not rooting against BI. I'm simply pointing out that they will want to build up the value of their trade chips if that becomes their line of thought.

Randle may not be with the team next year unless the FO strikes out entirely on signing a star or two to join the team. The salary situation along with JRs cap hold are well documented. Ingram plays the same position as PG13 and LeBron (if he refuses to play the 4) and possibly Kuzma as well depending on how Luke and the staff choose to use him in their lineups. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they eventually decide that a high lotto guy like Ingram could be used to trade for a star player. Or even worse, be used as the bait to unload Deng's contract. If the FO is convinced that a target like George or LBJ won't be attainable next summer, that could open up several other possibilities that aren't typically being mentioned.

Even if the FO aims to keep all of these developing young players, our roster and glut of forwards will make it difficult for Kuz to get enough PT to win the rookie award. It's tough to predict. Of course, injuries could easily change all of that. The bigger factor may be how many minutes they choose to hand out to Deng and Brewer for the 3 and 4 spots.

The only player that is guaranteed to get as many minutes as he can handle is Lonzo. Kuzma could fall prey to factors beyond his control. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

And so far Lonzo can’t handle many minutes

If Lonzo can stay off the IR, which I doubt, he may have a shot. Kuz would need minutes in order to be considered.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject:

Co-rookies of the year...ball and kuzma!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

It is sad that we have had 3 straight #2 picks and none so far have been mentioned as potential ROY. I think we drafted well but the talent just wasn’t there.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It is sad that we have had 3 straight #2 picks and none so far have been mentioned as potential ROY. I think we drafted well but the talent just wasn’t there.

Lonzo is literally the favorite to win ROY. Sometimes I can't tell if you're even being serious.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Lonzo wins ROY and Kuzma wins sixth man of the year. How crazy would that be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lonzo is literally the favorite to win ROY. Sometimes I can't tell if you're even being serious.

So being a popular choice means that you won the award? Was Brogdon the favorite last season? Sometimes I wonder if you understand simple logic.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So being a popular choice means that you won the award? Was Brogdon the favorite last season? Sometimes I wonder if you understand simple logic.

That's not what you said. You said none have been mentioned as a potential ROY, which is obviously wrong since Lonzo has and continues to be many people's favorite to win it.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

there was literally only one real candidate the year Towns won it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

last I saw, Vegas had Ball (7/2) @ #2 behind Simmons (3/2)....but that is just mostly based on hype....if I recall Russell was a favorite preseason, and Ingram was pretty high as well....by the end of the season, neither were in the top 5.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It is sad that we have had 3 straight #2 picks and none so far have been mentioned as potential ROY. .

I guess you didn't see the poll of NBA general managers a couple of weeks ago; 62% predicted Ball would be RoY.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

He won't get enough minutes...
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

ventura getting owned left and right. Beautiful.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Yes it's possible. It's possible for Lonzo too.

Yes/no answering format for this poll?? Dayum, season hasn't even started, there is no basis to answer that. Is he CAPABLE? Yes.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The talent was there. We could have dumped Deng and Mozgov if we drafted Porzingis. Russell was only worth one.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Hes getting 18ppg on his own. I can see him get an efficient 21ppg starting with Zo. I can’t see any other rookie coming close. He’d be a lock. It all depends on Luke. If the goal is to feature your young talent to attract FA. He’s gotta start.

LOL, LeBron James averaged less than 21 points per game his rookie season, and played almost 40 minutes each night and had the green light to do whatever he wanted from day 1...
Some of you need to lower expectations. You're almost on Gadget level who thinks Lonzo will average 12 assists per game...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The talent was there. We could have dumped Deng and Mozgov if we drafted Porzingis. Russell was only worth one.

not sure why you think that is true....I am very confident that it is a false statement.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: