OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

You guys put way to much stock on preseason play, 1 thing that's been real good with KCP so far is that he's a good passer, I certainly don't want him wasting energy on a meangless game, he's shown a lot of things that can help our team, you guys only look at stats and think he's a scrub. He is probably gonna be more aggressive once the regular season starts.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

KCP is not playing like the 18m player. Maybe it is just that
18m in NBA is the average player.
Deng is paid 18m over 4 years. And he is at best a below average player.

With the Lakers it is the luck of the draw as opposed to
good scouting and player evaluation.

Clarkson is being paid good bucks to be a scrub.

Maybe Randle will turn out fine if he will accept a reasonable contract.
But after seeing what KCP, Deng, Mosgov, Clarkson has gotten
he will want at least the same.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

KCP + JC = $30mil/yr
Deng + Brewer = $26mil/yr

We need to consolidate these guys into better players
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

JC has been outplaying KCP by far this entire preseason in every category while playing fewer minutes. I could even say defense since Lakers are more in the + when JC is in the game but a - when KCP is in.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
JC has been outplaying KCP by far this entire preseason in every category, I would even say defense. Lakers are more in the + when JC is in the game but a - when KCP is in.

I think it's difficult to judge KCP right now without seeing how he looks playing next to Lonzo. JC has more shot creation abilities, so he doesn't need to rely on his PG to set him up for scores. KCP has looked awful when trying to create his own shot and has had several stretches during the preseason where he has forced up bad shots. KCP will look better once he and Lonzo get more time on the floor together.
WVLAKERFAN1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
JC has been outplaying KCP by far this entire preseason in every category, I would even say defense. Lakers are more in the + when JC is in the game but a - when KCP is in.

I think it's difficult to judge KCP right now without seeing how he looks playing next to Lonzo. JC has more shot creation abilities, so he doesn't need to rely on his PG to set him up for scores. KCP has looked awful when trying to create his own shot and has had several stretches during the preseason where he has forced up bad shots. KCP will look better once he and Lonzo get more time on the floor together.

Couldn't the same thing be said about clarkson having lonzo to set him up better for easier buckets?
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

WVLAKERFAN1 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Couldn't the same thing be said about clarkson having lonzo to set him up better for easier buckets?

Lonzo plays fast and who ever plays and thinks fast will flourish playing with him. Both KCP and JC are fast so both of them should do well.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

WVLAKERFAN1 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

I think KCP is better at catching and shooting. JC likes to attack off the dribble. Even though they have similar dimensions and athleticism, I think KCP is more reliant on his PG setting him up whereas JC likes to create for himself.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
You guys put way to much stock on preseason play, 1 thing that's been real good with KCP so far is that he's a good passer, I certainly don't want him wasting energy on a meangless game, he's shown a lot of things that can help our team, you guys only look at stats and think he's a scrub. He is probably gonna be more aggressive once the regular season starts.

Nail on the head bro
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Did not expect the guy to have such poor ball handling skills. Really disappointed in that aspect of his game
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

We can only judge him by what he shows on the court and it's not like the people questioning his play so far are just looking at stats.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I know, I just think it's way to early to judge him as a player, he's one of those guys who might benefit greatly once Lonzo returns, I have been Impressed with his passing and the will to cut into the basket from a pass, that sequence were he got the ball and cutted towards the basket is something that can be build on. He's gonna get better, I'm more concerned with Ingram then Pope to be honest.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Did not expect the guy to have such poor ball handling skills. Really disappointed in that aspect of his game

He's not perfect which is fine, I expect his production to increase in the regular season though, he's still better then Lou and Young.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

KCP is making mistakes on his own jumpshot, whether he's off balance, pulling a string, leading with his right shoulder a bit more than being square (usually), or not getting enough lift on the J.

This especially shows on the 3-point shots. This isn't the same guy I saw out of the draft. The defense is there, but catch and shoot and pull up have been disappointing with bad habits.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Be glad its only a one year deal
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

So far, I can't see a season where he improves on his numbers from Detroit. Not sure how he's going to earn a bigger contract next summer.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Positives are that he's been solid defensively (not great, but solid), an impressive passer, and showed some nice athleticism on the break. His half court offense, however, has been disappointing, especially his shooting.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

He had his best game of the preseason and I hardly noticed him. The hype over this guy never comported with the talent he processes. Personally I wish they kept Nwaba, the $18mil and let the other guys play.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KCP is making mistakes on his own jumpshot, whether he's off balance, pulling a string, leading with his right shoulder a bit more than being square (usually), or not getting enough lift on the J.

This especially shows on the 3-point shots. This isn't the same guy I saw out of the draft. The defense is there, but catch and shoot and pull up have been disappointing with bad habits.

Out of the draft? He's a five year veteran, seems like your data might need some updating.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
He had his best game of the preseason and I hardly noticed him. The hype over this guy never comported with the talent he processes. Personally I wish they kept Nwaba, the $18mil and let the other guys play.

I guess when LeBron's rep calls, u answer
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Be glad its only a one year deal

This.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

So far he has not come out and demonstrated that he is top notch rising star at shooting guard.

It is way to early to judge him as this is a totally new team and offense for him.

He seems like he has not found his comfort zone in the offense yet. Part of that may be Lonzo being out and BI playing ball stopper and then Lopez coming in and rightfully demanding the ball. But he is not getting enough shots in the flow of the offense right now. But as they get things worked out I think that will come.

KCP, like Nance may need to be more aggressive in getting the ball for the offense to work with them starting. As BI finds his passing game, which he did last night and when Lonzo comes back the defensive focus will be on Lonzo, BI and Lopez. KCP and Nance should be able to shake free for some open looks and easy baskets. That needs to happen for this offense to work with the first unit.

It may be a few weeks into the season before we see KCP comfortable in this offense. Or we may end up saying Deng it this is not a good fit and at least this is an expiring contract.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject:

dudes an average defender who shoots 40% on weak shot selection "elite perimeter defender", "my dad's favorite piston". $19 million, wow. i wonder how many all-defense votes he's gotten in his career. anyways i'm interested to see how we look without him. shame clarkson didn't get a chance to claim the starting spot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

He just seems kind of invisible out there. I can't think of anything I saw that atood out particularly well. As in, what is it that I can expect to get from KCP on a given night?

Passing? No. Shooting? No. Defense? Maybe, but it sure didn't stand out. Scoring? No.

Still some time to gel but its troubling not to know why he is an $18M player.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

He is on a one year contract and because he will miss a few games to start the season and perhaps a few more due to injury, he needs to take advantage of every opportunity possible to showcase himself. There will be multiple free agents seeking contracts next summer and teams (as a group) will have limited money to spend. Teams can be picky next summer on who they give large contracts to and it is a bad look for KCP to not be serious about things.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 33 of 182
Jump to: