OFFICIAL Alex The Pope Caruso Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 130, 131, 132  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

POPE ALEX
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Good read from #SBLakers

Alex Caruso’s Hard Work Paying Dividends

Quote:
“It’s been a lot of hard work from the G League [last season] to Summer League and now Training Camp,” the Texas native said during the postgame media scrum. “It’s a bigger platform now so I think that’s why people are starting to take notice.”

http://southbay.gleague.nba.com/news/alex-carusos-hard-work-paying-dividends/
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Too bad Ennis isn't the two way guy.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

There's no middle way on LG

Ennis: few good games and he's a really good backup PG

2 bad games and he's the guy that should go to G-League

Pope: 1 good game in SL and he's allstar potential
1 bad game and he's camp fodder
another good preseason game and Lonzo should back up the Pope

Ennis is young and proved last season that he can be a decent backup PG

I'm fine with Caruso getting better, but let's wait a few regular games
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

Sounds about right, we here at LG are extremely volatile.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

I've always thought Ennis is a solid backup to Lonzo. That said, there's a lot to like about the way Caruso approaches his games. He defends and scraps hard out there enough to bother opponents even if he's battling a 4 with a big size mismatch, and he's pretty aggressive at moving the ball forward, which fits the style of play Luke and Magic are looking for. Those aren't artifacts of having a 'hot game' for a short stretch in preseason, it's how he plays.

Normally, at this stage of the preseason, players who are not destined to make the roster have their minutes cut down to zero, and the playing time is divvied up to see who's starting and also to see which combinations of players play best together. It's interesting that Alex Caruso's court time is increasing right now, not decreasing. Caruso got 32 minutes this last game, to Ennis' 16. Anyone else not likely to make the roster? Zero minutes.

Yes, Lonzo will be back and both Ennis and Caruso will at best go to a secondary role, but it's interesting that Luke is choosing to give Caruso most of the PG minutes at this late stage of preseason, not Ennis.

My guess is Caruso stays on a 2 way contract with intent to find him a roster spot before season's end, but they're giving this a lot of thought right now.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

I'm not LG, I'm a guy with an opinion based on his observation. There was no predisposition on my part to like Caruso, in fact the opposite was true. But I've watched enough of him to see that he has something that Ennis doesn't. He understands the game and makes his teammates better. Tonight, make a point to watch how the team operates when each player is in the game. You'll see the ball moves more as well as quicker with Caruso. He's also a much better defender.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I tend to agree that Caruso has outplayed Ennis on both sides of the floor. It seems Luke agrees given how quickly he took Ennis out, subbing in Caruso, after putting Ennis back in the game. Ennis is too ball dominant and he also isn't the defender Caruso is. I don't think its a close call as to who should play personally.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

way way better than ennis, give the guy a full time roster spot
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind him being the full time backup
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I tend to agree that Caruso has outplayed Ennis on both sides of the floor. It seems Luke agrees given how quickly he took Ennis out, subbing in Caruso, after putting Ennis back in the game. Ennis is too ball dominant and he also isn't the defender Caruso is. I don't think its a close call as to who should play personally.

Agree even more after tonight's game, he's by far the better player.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

think that was because Ennis picked up his 5th foul....then Caruso was so much more effective, he just kept him in
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Play really well. Good ball mover and good shot selection
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

think that was because Ennis picked up his 5th foul....then Caruso was so much more effective, he just kept him in

I wrote that in the first half. You are correct in regards to the second half (3rd quarter), however.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Don't think it's a close call, either. Ennis really had one game where he had a good stretch of chemistry with Zubac, but we mixed things up since then and he's disappeared.

He's never played with the pace that Caruso does. And tonight Caruso knocked down the three ball as a spot up shooter. He's been the one making the consistent positive impact.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

He is basically what Milos Teodosic is for the Clippers.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Don't think it's a close call, either. Ennis really had one game where he had a good stretch of chemistry with Zubac, but we mixed things up since then and he's disappeared.

He's never played with the pace that Caruso does. And tonight Caruso knocked down the three ball as a spot up shooter. He's been the one making the consistent positive impact.

Agree 100%. I wonder if the team can just give him a standard contract to get him out of the two way. He's the team's second best pure PG.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Agree 100%. I wonder if the team can just give him a standard contract to get him out of the two way. He's the team's second best pure PG.

They can convert it any time, provided they have a roster spot open on the 15 man roster. But more likely is they just wait until if and when they cross the threshold of going over the max days.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

Ennis looked very good as the backup 1. Didn't look good as the starting 1. Caruso looks very good as the backup 1 as well.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject:

Imo Caruso deserves the backup point guard minutes. Ennis wasn't bad but Caruso outplayed him.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject:

At some point here, Caruso replaces Ennis as the backup PG. May not be right away, but when some moves get made, Caruso looks to take Ennis's place. Maybe after KWC serves his 2 game suspension?
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject:

glad they have him locked up on that 2 way he has been a solid back up pg. If Lonzo or ennis go down we can plug him in and keep on rolling. Funny how he plays so under control he plays like an experienced vet on both ends of the court. Guess that's what 4 years of college will do for you.

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

They can convert it any time, provided they have a roster spot open on the 15 man roster. But more likely is they just wait until if and when they cross the threshold of going over the max days.

Yeah, I sort of figured the same. I suppose that opens up his two way spot for another player.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

Ball moves so much better with the Pope.

Really think it should be Ball, BI, Kuz, Larry, Lopez...this way Ball and Kuz keep developing their chemistry and BI can handle the rock and both can offset the lack of O Larry brings.

Pope, Clarkson, KCP, Jules, Kuz should be the 2's...smaller lineup by they can run as much as they want and situational subing can make sure there's always at least one 1 on the floor too.

Hope Luke really tightens his rotations to 10...11 max...and Ennis, Brewer, Deng aren't a part of it.

Also don't like how much Jules keeps his arms down on defense and also don't think Kuz enjoys playing with him or his choppy inconsistent game...notice the facial expressions last night before Jules went to the locker room...Kuz clearly has a solid BB IQ...Jules has proven to me that he does not.

#BannersOverBillboards
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Caruso reminds me of a guy you'd see on the Spurs. The "Who's that guy and where'd he come from ?" type they find every year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 130, 131, 132  Next
Page 17 of 132
Jump to: