Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 341, 342, 343 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

Can anyone say, without laughing, that there is any one player that Luke has done a masterful of elevating? I can't. Not one.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
How soon b/f the FO will say that "Luke wasn't our coach..."

Someone will have to be the fall guy this year. We've already jettisoned one scapegoat.

Real hard to see Luke coaching after this season.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Can anyone say, without laughing, that there is any one player that Luke has done a masterful of elevating? I can't. Not one.

Exactly!!

Luke's greatest flaws are using his players to their strength. I think GS runs some sets not because those sets can grantee you points but its because they have Curry who can really shot 3s. If you run that same set for Lopez you are misusing Lopez. Don't Let Lopez hangout on the 3 point Line all night. Start of by giving him easy points in the paint and when his confidence is up the 3s will fall. Even Weber was shouting that all night!! I am begging to get disappointed in Luke.

It is just 1 game. The verdict is still out on Luke.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

Luke has to figure out what his coaching personality and system is and imprint it on the team.

To date, there has been little sign of that but he is also dealing with young players and questionable overall talent.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject:

Deng starting and at the 3. Kuzma and Ball seeing nary a minute together. These are basic substitution issues that any fan could spot. It's stuff like this that's going to do Luke in should it continue.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject:

we need a veteran assistant who has had success in the NBA Brian Shaw love the guy but he isnt it
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
I mean, man, really? Deng and Ingram on the wings? Two guys who can't shoot or take anyone off the dribble? I have to start wondering if Luke's a f****** moron or not.

That will have been OK if used them to attach the paint more with Lopez in the middle.

I can bet you Bogut can get you more points than Ingram did if you give him 15 attempts in the paint.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KBH wrote:
epak wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
So when are we gonna start holding Luke accountable?

Seems most people on LG are. I hope Luke does too and makes changes or bring in new assitants who can help him.

Me too because the Lakers seemed to be running really no sets, the best players are not playing, etc... It's like he said play fast and that's it. The biggest mistake Luke made was trying to emulate warriors offense.

Which offense should they emulate?

I gave you an impression that we should emulate an offense?

What offense should we run?

I don't know if a specific offense needs to be communicated here on the board. The point is one needs to be implemented by Luke.. It's helter skelter out there.

How about we try to implement a successful offense, like some of what the warriors run?

That's where borrowing from other offenses comes in. We don't have the Warriors personnel, so emulating them completely isn't feasible. That said, we're not running any discernible offense right now anyway, so I'd take anything. Our spacing and movement is atrocious and our sets die and devolve into iso after one action.

We are running an offense from the Warriors. We just lack the skill sets to make it work.

LOL I defer to you but that doesn't look like what I saw last night at all.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

I'm frustrated: what is our direction? 1) Go uptempo style or half court? We Lopez and Deng to play with Ball!? 2) We want to compete now or develop our young players? Lopez, Deng, Bogut and Brewer? Why don't we start Clarkson or Hart over Deng?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

Luke wasn't my first choice for coach. Had my doubts about his laid back personality working at the NBA level (I've never seen it work in my lifetime). But man, I rode that wave of hype and really bought in once he was hired. I'd feel a lot better if he at least had some experienced, fiery assistants, but even they seem to have that stoner hippy way of coaching.

I really don't want to say I was right because I'm still hoping there's time to prove me wrong. But my patience is running thin. I just want to know what the hell their identity is. What are they working towards? I'm not getting any sense of direction. Just chaos and confusion.

I really believe this team has more talent than they're showing, and the fault for underachieving should fall on the HC. There's still time.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

He helped revive Nick Young's career.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Two words: Ron Adams.

Wish we could empty the bank to get a seasoned assistant like him.

His bench right now is full of friends.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

I think last year most of our 10-10 success was because of Lou Williams bailing us out most of the time.

This season is a real test for Luke. I think he has the personnel to win 35 games but i doubt if he can do that.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

How does Madsen remain?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How does Madsen remain?

He must have all the secrets on Shaq/Kobe and the Lakers ownership.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

I could be wrong about all of this but...

Seems to me the best teams have systems that fit the skills of their players. We see this with GSW and Houston etc.

Then you have coaches like Pop and Carlisle who seem to tailor their system to fit with the pieces they have. We had MDA here trying to run his offense with Kobe and Dwight. Is Luke making the same mistake trying to run the GSW offense without shooters or shot creators? If so, we know the result.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How does Madsen remain?

He must have all the secrets on Shaq/Kobe and the Lakers ownership.

I'm a pretty encouraging fellow and I'm pretty sure I can nod yes and agree with everyone else too for cheaper.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KBH wrote:
epak wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
So when are we gonna start holding Luke accountable?

Seems most people on LG are. I hope Luke does too and makes changes or bring in new assitants who can help him.

Me too because the Lakers seemed to be running really no sets, the best players are not playing, etc... It's like he said play fast and that's it. The biggest mistake Luke made was trying to emulate warriors offense.

Which offense should they emulate?

I gave you an impression that we should emulate an offense?

What offense should we run?

I don't know if a specific offense needs to be communicated here on the board. The point is one needs to be implemented by Luke.. It's helter skelter out there.

How about we try to implement a successful offense, like some of what the warriors run?

That's where borrowing from other offenses comes in. We don't have the Warriors personnel, so emulating them completely isn't feasible. That said, we're not running any discernible offense right now anyway, so I'd take anything. Our spacing and movement is atrocious and our sets die and devolve into iso after one action.

We are running an offense from the Warriors. We just lack the skill sets to make it work.

LOL I defer to you but that doesn't look like what I saw last night at all.

I don't feel like going back to reply to Fiendish's post, so I'm going to just reply here. I think we're saying the same thing. I agree and know that we're running the Warriors stuff. Which is why I referenced implementing an offense that plays to your current roster's strengths. I guess I should have said we're not effectively running any offense. I see what we're trying to do, but it's a rudimentary version of what the Warriors do and looks like a mess.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I see what we're trying to do, but it's a rudimentary version of what the Warriors do and looks like a mess.

And we're missing you know, shooters/scorers like Steph/Klay/KD, unless Lonzo/Ingram/[insert other] are doing it for you.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I see what we're trying to do, but it's a rudimentary version of what the Warriors do and looks like a mess.

And we're missing you know, shooters/scorers like Steph/Klay/KD, unless Lonzo/Ingram/[insert other] are doing it for you.

Quite the understatement

Steph/Klay/Durant will be some of the best players ever. If Luke thought he would emulate that, he is a moron.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Shooters who at least can play fundamental defense that Mark Jackson built into them. Kerr, Luke, etc got the benefits. I'll give them props for unleashing Dray as he as buried under a no defense David Lee.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Luke has to figure out what his coaching personality and system is and imprint it on the team.

So the off season before he was hired, his first season of head coaching, and his second off season were not sufficient for that? He's just going to keep collecting a paycheck and we can maybe hope that he figures it out on the fly this season?

I think it is safe to say that we're seeing his coaching personality and system and it's imprint on the team at this point. Much in the same way we can probably say we saw Kerr's imprint on the Warriors when Luke was "coaching" them....
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

Deng should not see any minute at SF anymore. Insert Kuzma into the starting lineup with Ball, Ingram, Nance and Lopez, it would be much better.

Randle is a better player but there needs to be someone willing to do the dirty work and Nance is better at that. However, if Randle is part of the long-term plan, he will not settle for a bench role. There could be a scenario when next summer we want to give Randle an extension but he refuses to sign then settle for a one year deal and walk away the next year.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

It seems Luke doesn't know his players nor don't know how to play them together and help them. He only keeps emphasising pace and ball movement
like an offense coach
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

So the off season before he was hired, his first season of head coaching, and his second off season were not sufficient for that? He's just going to keep collecting a paycheck and we can maybe hope that he figures it out on the fly this season?

I think it is safe to say that we're seeing his coaching personality and system and it's imprint on the team at this point. Much in the same way we can probably say we saw Kerr's imprint on the Warriors when Luke was "coaching" them....

To be fair to Luke, I think he's just too inexperienced. I mean, you can't just become the manager of a team in work/business without experience. Even really smart people, I have seen fail not because of a lack of intelligence, but much of leadership is about the nuances. I think Luke knows what he wants to do, but, his inexperience limits his current ability to do execute on what he wants to do.

I've seen it so many times in my career. Managers, CEOs, leaders, have all the great ideas and yet no idea on what it realistically takes to see them through.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 341, 342, 343 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 342 of 818
Jump to: