CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS – 10-19-17 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

I thought Luke was all about fit over talent? It was the worst fitting lineup possible. An AAU coach could've put together something better.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

That was pretty bad. Really bad, actually.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

I saw a lot of the deer-in-the-headlights looks not only from the Lakers to the Clips, but also from Laker to Laker and that includes Luke. Luke called so many timeouts during the 1st half to stop Clips runs or settle Lakers down which meant he had fewer left in the 2nd half when the Clips went on bigger runs.

Ok, young team with opening night jitters. Fine. Let's move on. Really disappointed in BI and Randle though. I hoped they would show some restraint on offense and energy on defense. Neither happened.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

Suns should be a more accurate gauge of how sucky we might be. If we lose to them in big fashion tonight (and Suns will be motivated after an embarrassing 50 point loss), then it's trouble.
NYLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

I really do not want to pile on Luke but this mess was really all on him. Any coach worth a spit knows that if you demote a starter, you're going to lose him ... especially one who put in so much work in the off-season. Nance was used to coming off the bench and would have been fine if he was still used that way. Somehow he needs to fix his mistake and get Randle back on board.

Deng??? Seriously????? What the ????

Twelve players used and all got at least 10 minutes. It's impossible to develop any chemistry when you keep throwing out new combinations every five minutes. What happened to the "New Face of the Lakers"? Ball played 29 minutes. I don't care how he looked. He missed almost all the preseason. He needs to be in the game MORE and learn on the job.

Of all our young Lakers, Luke needs to improve more than any of them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
I saw a lot of the deer-in-the-headlights looks not only from the Lakers to the Clips, but also from Laker to Laker and that includes Luke. Luke called so many timeouts during the 1st half to stop Clips runs or settle Lakers down which meant he had fewer left in the 2nd half when the Clips went on bigger runs.

Ok, young team with opening night jitters. Fine. Let's move on. Really disappointed in BI and Randle though. I hoped they would show some restraint on offense and energy on defense. Neither happened.

Time outs don’t work that way.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

Lonzo/Brook/Bogut/Ingram (SPL)/Hart all being out really hurt the team. Last night was like a 1st preseason game where we just threw crap on the wall to see what worked.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

They missed a ton of easy shots in this game. Lay-ups and jumpers. Lonzo should have had 10 assists easy. To me that tells me they are tense.

They should relax in a bit. If they made just half of the easy open shots that they missed last night they would have been in the game. Their D was not that terrible.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Game 1 is over. Now we're on to the next. If we're still playing like this in a month, that's when I'll be worried. We played a veteran team that had every intention of putting our young Lakers in their place. I expect a better effort and result tonight win or lose.

The thing that really worries right now is our coaching staff. I hope they realize that they need to show progress as much as our young players do. There's a lot of areas of concern including lineups, rotations and schemes.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I am starting to doubt Luke's ability to coach. Starting the game with 2 SFs who can't create along with Nance? If you're gonna start with 2 SFs, at least put Kuzma as the other SF out there since the dude can create for himself. Then he allowed Brook Lopez to park at the perimeter all game long. What no plays to post up his men so they end up working on defense? Blake and DeAndre pretty much had a walk in the part coz all they had to worry about was score and rebound. Heck even DAJ went 4 for 4 from the line. It was a cake walk! We hired Luke with the premise that D'Angelo may be the next Steph Curry. Now DLo is gone, and Luke needs to be gone too. We need a veteran coach who can properly teach our young players. Fire Luke!
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB, for the season's first analysis. Extremely ugly game, unfortunately. Also, I'm going to have to disagree with some of your points.

Lonzo: Played with composure, and I liked his overall defensive effort, rebounding. Patrick Beverly wasn't nearly the "stopper" he's being heralded as. Lonzo had a poor night, with very open looks...which was a team-wide problem. If the team shot better, Lonzo would have had more assists. Has to work on developing a mid-range game, if he's going to keep defenses honest, and open up more looks for others.

Ingram: Except for being ice cold from the field, Ingram was not as bad as people are making him out to be. Granted, there were a couple of forced shots. But, when setting up in the half court, when Ingram gets the ball in his hands, it's winds up being an iso possession because players stop moving. When this happens, then yeah, any player is going to try to take it themselves. As others have noted, Ingram isn't strong enouigh, nor is he comfortable enough with his off hand, to take full advantage of iso possessions...yet. He should be catching the ball on the move, more, and attacking. That said, he had a ton of good open looks, that he should/did take, but just wasn't falling. Either this was just one of those nights, or a result of him getting comfortable with changing his shooting mechanics.

Deng: Hate to say it, because Deng is a class act, by all accounts. But, he should be relegated to the bench until his contract expires, he's waived, or dealt. Just not working for him, here in LA.

Nance: I liked his activity/hustle, and that's how he got his double-double in points, and rebounds. But, he's got to be able to show he can hit a mid to long range shot. Defenses are sagging/doubling off him, daring him to shoot...and he passes.

Lopez: Everyone knew he wasn't the strongest rebounder, so no surprise he was dominated on the boards by DJ and Blake...and most everybody else. But, if he's not going to rebound, at least try to keep opposing bigs off the boards, to allow other teammates a chance to get hit the boards. Also, his PnR defense was bad, though that shouldn't be surprising either. Lopez was brought in for offensive spacing, and rim protection. Like everyone else not named JC, his outside shot was MIA. Though, I do like his continued activity regarding his low post offense.

The bench: JC was the only Laker with consistent offense, while Randle continues to show why people are frustrated with him, depsite his obvious talent. Randle is way too much in his own head, and it dumbs down his decision making.

Overall, the Lakers played REALLY sloppy, with an atrocious amount of turnovers. That, combined with poor shooting as a team, and the results are as expected. The defense was a mixed bag. They had bad sequences, which usually resulted in Clipper points, and the good sequences they had were ruined by allowing offensive boards for second...third...and fourth chance shots, or subsequently turning the ball over for a score at the other end.

A lot of youth on this team, on and off the court, and a lot of new pieces trying to fit it all together. Coaches trying to find the best lineups, and players trying to build chemistry with each other during this process. It's going to be ugly, but I'm not worried. I WILL be worried if I don't see progress, as the season goes on. And, Luke really needs to change his starting lineup. Lonzo and Kuzma showed incredible chemistry, when they played together. I know Nance/Randle have been here longer, but this shouldn't be about who has seniority, it should be about the most optimal lineups. Going forward, I would like to see a lineup with Kuz starting at PF.

ZOOM!!!!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: