The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1138, 1139, 1140 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
Randle could be a really good player for the lakers if he accepted his role. Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds that it.

None of that iso ish or bully ball. The moment he is up against a taller player, which will be almost always in the nba at his position, it’s a guaranteed offensive foul, block or travel.

If he accepts that role, he will be a stud.

The problem is dude, they haven't even tried giving Randle that role next to Lopez. They haven't even given the opportunity to get the same kind of looks that Nance gets. They threw him with the bench lineup and essentially have told him to now do the opposite.

When Randle's out there with Lonzo, the rare occasion Luke does that.. he gets similar kind of looks and gets his buckets easy and seems to fit the role quite well. But Luke pulls any chance of that happening real quickly and Randle has to play with the bench which he was put on to play as it's primary scorer next to JC. Not as it's "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" lesser role guy.

So you can't exactly say "if Randle could just accept his role"

How!?!?!

You say you want him to accept the role of "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" but the problem is when Luke threw him on the bench he did it essentially trying to make his role that of a guy who tries to get all his offense with the bench unit like Clarkson. If Randle plays like a "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" guy with the bench then it's not going to do much for him or the bench because the bench unit is used as primarily for selfish play and scoring and it ain't exactly a "just fit in" group.

Luke doesn't even know if Randle would "just fit in" with the starting lineup next to Lopez cause he benched him the moment Lopez came back.

So it really tickles me how people say Randle should just "accept his role as a role player" when the reality is Luke moved him to the bench to tell him to essentially be one of it's main scorers along with JC. So sorry, he can't exactly be the "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" on the bench next to Bogut the same way he could be the "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" with the starting lineup next to Lopez.

Again, cause an effect. People AND Luke need to actually think about that.

I agree with a lot of this. Part of me feels like the team is trying to inflate the values of some of our players to facilitate a trade. If this was all about winning right now, then there is no way Deng gets the start vs the Clippers. Putting Larry out there with Lonzo and Lopez gives him the best chance to be successful and increases his perceived value.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
Randle could be a really good player for the lakers if he accepted his role. Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds that it.

None of that iso ish or bully ball. The moment he is up against a taller player, which will be almost always in the nba at his position, it’s a guaranteed offensive foul, block or travel.

The problem is dude, they haven't even tried giving Randle that role next to Lopez. They haven't even given the opportunity to get the same kind of looks that Nance gets. They threw him with the bench lineup and essentially have told him to now do the opposite.

When Randle's out there with Lonzo, the rare occasion Luke does that.. he gets similar kind of looks and gets his buckets easy and seems to fit the role quite well. But Luke pulls any chance of that happening real quickly and Randle has to play with the bench which he was put on to play as it's primary scorer next to JC. Not as it's "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" lesser role guy.

How!?!?!

You say you want him to accept the role of "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" but the problem is when Luke threw him on the bench he did it essentially trying to make his role that of a guy who tries to get all his offense with the bench unit like Clarkson. If Randle plays like a "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" guy with the bench then it's not going to do much for him or the bench because the bench unit is used as primarily for selfish play and scoring and it ain't exactly a "just fit in" group.

Luke doesn't even know if Randle would "just fit in" with the starting lineup next to Lopez cause he benched him the moment Lopez came back.

So it really tickles me how people say Randle should just "accept his role as a role player" when the reality is Luke moved him to the bench to tell him to essentially be one of it's main scorers along with JC. So sorry, he can't exactly be the "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" on the bench next to Bogut the same way he could be the "Defense, screens, finishing and rebounds" with the starting lineup next to Lopez.

So are you advocating starting Randle since he is the better offensive player than Nance? I advocate for Nance starting due to being a better defensive player with better court awareness leading to better team defense. Having Randle, JC and Kuz on the 2nd team allows for a strong offensive unit that can either extend a lead or maintain the status quo. Including Zo the starting unit has 4 players who can score in a variety of ways. Why do you need 5?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
MJST wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

How!?!?!

So are you advocating starting Randle since he is the better offensive player than Nance? I advocate for Nance starting due to being a better defensive player with better court awareness leading to better team defense. Having Randle, JC and Kuz on the 2nd unit allows for a strong offensive unit that can either extend a lead or maintain the status quo. Including Zo the starting unit has 4 players who can score in a variety of ways. Why do you need 5?

I advocate starting Randle cause he's better than Nance in every way period.

The "he's a better defender" isn't the case, when Nance has always lacked as a perimeter defender in comparison to Randle, and was only good as a help side defender over Randle. But what Randle showed in pre-season with his new conditioning/body is that he's caught up to Larry in that aspect of their defense, so Larry doesn't have that anymore.

Larry also doesn't have better court awareness which is why the only time you see him trying anything off the dribble is summer league.

Again, Randle hasn't even been given a chance next to Lopez yet so a lot of the "Larry would be better at" is based on nothing.

Here's the thing, the Randle, JC, Kuzma unit is going to be put into positions, more often than not, where they'd have to bail out the starting lineups slow start.

Why? Because there's a reason Lonzo had to shoot the ball 20+ times to beat the Suns. There's a reason Ingram has to score 24-25 points to beat a Suns team 132-130.

When it comes down to it, our starting unit doesn't have many shot creators that can make life easier for Lonzo to play the game he actually wants to play.

it also makes life harder on Lopez because he's the only "go to" guy offensively in the starting lineup.

Ingram is not the guy you want to consistently make your go to guy offensively, nor is Lonzo. You want them doing their stuff in the flow of it.

If you had a lineup of say...

Lonzo
Ingram
Kuzma
Randle
Lopez

You get off to faster starts offensively and your team gets into a flow a lot easier and it's a lineup that allows Lonzo to set the table a lot easier.

Then you put in a bench of

Clarkson
KCP / Hart
Brewer / Deng
Nance Jr.
Bogut

And you have a defensive bench at 4 positions and you have Clarkson as your scorer. THAT is the kind of bench that is asked to maintain a lead, through both Clarkson's scoring and the 2-5's defensive abilities.

The problem is Luke sees the bench outplay the starters and goes "Oh well thats great, we need that scoring to keep us in games. "

Not once thinking about why they'll need that bench's scoring so much. It's because of the slow starts we're going to get off to due to the nature of our starting lineup.

We aren't playing the Suns 82 games and we just gave up 130 points in a non overtime game to a team that scored 76 points against Portland and 88 points against the Clippers and wasn't even top 20 in offense last season. They can't even break 90 in 2 out of their first 3 games but they drop 130 on us....

That should tell you something.

And if we're going to be giving up those kind of points to a team like the Suns, then I want as many shot creators and scorers in that starting lineup next to Lonzo as possible.

Unfortunately we'll see it sooner rather than later just how bad our defense actually is, and how that starting lineup hinders both what we can do given the pieces we have, and what Lonzo is here to do.

Oh well. After about 10-12 games it always sets in.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

Man, it must have been so easy for you when your English teacher asked to write an essay with X amount of words.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject:

I am wondering if we can swap him for Nerlens Noel. Not that he is any much better but he's also coming off the bench.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject:

How many games do you need to see that Randle just stops the ball movement every single time he touches the ball?

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
How many games do you need to see that Randle just stops the ball movement every single time he touches the ball?

Perhaps you need to stop watching his rookie season on repeat.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
55 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
You treat his clients well, he works harder in selling LA to PG13.

Not sure PG needs any selling on LA from anyone.

I get what Runway is saying here though. They did Russell bad and that is certainly not going to make his agent happy. If Randle continues to play light minutes it's going to hurt his and his agents earning potential this summer, and I doubt he'd be trying to steer his clients to the Lakers. Agents certainly have some influence over their clients. It doesn't mean that would prevent George from coming here, but it does mean he might have a voice in his ear pushing other scenarios.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
55 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I get what Runway is saying here though. They did Russell bad and that is certainly not going to make his agent happy. If Randle continues to play light minutes it's going to hurt his and his agents earning potential this summer, and I doubt he'd be trying to steer his clients to the Lakers. Agents certainly have some influence over their clients. It doesn't mean that would prevent George from coming here, but it does mean he might have a voice in his ear pushing other scenarios.

Wonder how Magic would feel if we lost Randle in Free Agency and the Thunder signed him and then George re-signed.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

Randle deserves to start for he is the best PF on
the team. Best rebounder and his mid range shot is coming
around.
Sure he is a ball stopper. And he needs to show more effort on
defense.
But this is up to the coach to let him know that and try to
maximize his personnel.
Sure if he remains a ball stopper and doesn't put out on defense he needs to be put on the second team.
But give him a chance with a better team first.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

I'm not a big Randle fan, but I do think he should be starting and/or getting a lot of minutes just to give the org as much info as possible before they decide to either trade him, let him walk, or give him a new deal. Hell, if they already made up their mind that he's not a part of our future, at least feature the guy for now to increase his trade value.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Wonder how Magic would feel if we lost Randle in Free Agency and the Thunder signed him and then George re-signed.

Is it even possible with their payroll ?
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

this isn't about nance over randle (which the right choice), its about professionalism. coach asked him to play a different role and he is being a DIVA. he has two 12 and 9 seasons under his belt on a tanking team. thats not really untouchable starter production. lakers don't owe him jack much less a starting spot. he's getting his paychecks so he should do what the team is asking.

and at MJSTs back against the wall. support the team bro. players come and go.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

We have all said some stupid stuff on this board (myself more than anybody). I hate to sound like a dbag, but saying Randle is better than LNJ "in every way" is disingenuous at the very least. I appreciate having a favorite player, but lets try to keep the conversation and assessments honest. Unless Julius's mom is writing some of these posts (apologies to your Mrs. Randle), I am afraid that some are exaggerating their takes on JR. Julius is a GREAT kid and a HARD worker who I like and am rooting for. However, we shouldn't get too attached to him, because he most likely will not be a Laker in the very near future. I cringe at the thought of all those posts when he is traded (a la DRuss).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:

The problem is dude, they haven't even tried giving Randle that role next to Lopez

That is the problem. Defense, screening, finishing isn't a role. It's expected of every player on the floor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
We have all said some stupid stuff on this board (myself more than anybody). I hate to sound like a dbag, but saying Randle is better than LNJ "in every way" is disingenuous at the very least. I appreciate having a favorite player, but lets try to keep the conversation and assessments honest. Unless Julius's mom is writing some of these posts (apologies to your Mrs. Randle), I am afraid that some are exaggerating their takes on JR. Julius is a GREAT kid and a HARD worker who I like and am rooting for. However, we shouldn't get too attached to him, because he most likely will not be a Laker in the very near future. I cringe at the thought of all those posts when he is traded (a la DRuss).

This whole discussion is dejavu from last season. Dave20 was advocating starting JC instead of Nick. JC was the better player overall. But Nick played better defense and shoots better. JC has since accepted his role. Even Fridays game JC should have started because he was the best SG we had left but Brewer was the right choice for defense.

Randle is arguably better than Nance overall but Nance should be the starter. He completes that starting lineup. He is the AC Green of the showtime Lakers. None of us have seen all the practices. I am sure the decision to bench JR was based on some metrics the coaching staff collected in practice. No reason to let feelings get hurt or to speculate

JR. reeds to be a professional and accept the duty given him. Play like you enjoy the sport and not for your contract.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

G_DawgLA wrote:
The problem with Randle is he was big and bad enough his whole life against smaller guys in HS or similar sized players in College, but in the NBA he's undersized and he tries to pull off moves like he's Shaq but he's a midget vs the NBA Bigs... he has no finesse or counter... unpolished / no foot work or post moves...

His footwork is terrible and he still tries to force in everything with his left hand. I've been saying it for a while- Nance is the better player and Randle has gotten the starts and the benefit of the doubt because of their respective draft statuses. Nance has now prevailed. Sure Jules worked on his body and the jumper is better, it is not enough to outweigh Nance's superior Bball iq, unselfishness and hustle. Nance does all of the little things that randle does not.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
MJST wrote:

Is it even possible with their payroll ?

By fleecing Magic into sign and trade with Melo
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

This whole discussion is dejavu from last season. Dave20 was advocating starting JC instead of Nick. JC was the better player overall. But Nick played better defense and shoots better. JC has since accepted his role. Even Fridays game JC should have started because he was the best SG we had left but Brewer was the right choice for defense.

Randle is arguably better than Nance overall but Nance should be the starter. He completes that starting lineup. He is the AC Green of the showtime Lakers. None of us have seen all the practices. I am sure the decision to bench JR was based on some metrics the coaching staff collected in practice. No reason to let feelings get hurt or to speculate

JR. reeds to be a professional and accept the duty given him. Play like you enjoy the sport and not for your contract.

Difference is JC's contract was locked down last year while Randle can just bounce after this season leaving Lakers with nothing
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Not selling on LA literally. An agent's job is to make a player feel happy and comfortable with his decision. So selling of the decision, selling or vouching of Magic and Pelinka, selling of Luke. A player will make the decision ultimately, but the little subtleties of the game, I thought we got rid of Mitch cause he didn't play it. Doesn't look like the new regime is playing it either with how they've dealt with D'LO and Julius.

I guarantee you Mintz has had many phone calls from Julius cursing up a storm.
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Difference is JC's contract was locked down last year while Randle can just bounce after this season leaving Lakers with nothing

That’s right.

Wasnt that a discussion last summer. Trade JR before the deadline versus giving him the QO. All based on the 2 max plan. There is a big chance he is gone anyways per the FO thinking. Only BI and Zo is untouchable.

JR needed to prove himself and he knew why JC was replaced. He knew he needed to outplay Nance. He was already benched once for Nance. JR knew the possibility was there. He should be able to accept it.

JC situation was worse because we just resigned him and we relegated him to the bench right after. Contract or not, JR needs to be a professional. For the Lakers or for whatever team he plays for.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Man, it must have been so easy for you when your English teacher asked to write an essay with X amount of words.

Especially if it had to be fiction lol.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

Perhaps you need to stop watching his rookie season on repeat.

Man stop it, you sound like Dave20 already.

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Randle worked hard over the summer but it's clear that something is not right with him....I think it is the lack of minutes that he is playing. His body language gives me the "pouting" vibe.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

I'm worried about JR. He didn't seem happy, and I can understand why. He's worked really hard, but might know he's not part of the team's vision moving forward. I know it was reported being friendly, but I do wonder how the contract talk went.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1138, 1139, 1140 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1139 of 1536
Jump to: