PELICANS -at- LAKERS – 10-22-17 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Can't use points per game with the pace we play as a truly accurate defensive stat. We are running a transition at nearly twice the level of last year. We're going to have more possessions and more scoring. That's why I used points per 100 possessions. You have to do something to adjust for the high number of possessions and early clock scoring.

Not to mention, the pace we set started to wear down the Pels and especially their big men. We just don't have the closing chemistry down yet. NO came out playing very good defense to start both halves but it lasted FAR longer in the first half than the second, hence the comeback. I love that we're starting to see the early fruits of the foundation and identity of this team. Which is something I heard being talked about the past couple of seasons but rarely saw glimpses of. I'll take a loss like last night's as a learning experience for a true rebuild.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

The key to the comeback was the effort on defense.

Strangely, it was led by Clarkson and Randle...two of the last guys you would expect.

I was really impressed with Randle's effort on D and on offense in the 2nd half last night.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I hate our style of play completely. This run and gun with zero defense from my standpoint is disaster. No control. Everyone are running and making turnovers like idiots. No shot selection at all. Frustrating to watch. I miss triangle so much. Comparing to this crap that was pure perfection.

The style of play is fine, but it requires them to play with energy on both ends of the court. It's no coincidence that they put together nice runs in the last 2 games once they locked in defensively. Defensively right now, they are a Jekyll and Hyde team because in each of the last 2 games, they've had piss poor stretches of D with flashes of active, effective D. As the season goes on, let's hope they get more consistent. I'm just happy that we've seen legitimately great stretches of D.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Strangely, it was led by Clarkson and Randle...two of the last guys you would expect.

I was really impressed with Randle's effort on D and on offense in the 2nd half last night.

I like Kuz and Hart's effort on D as well. Those 2 have some dog in them. I like JC running the back-up point with Hart next to him and Kuz/Randle holding down the frontcourt.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

I like Hart playing more than Brewer because Hart offers more 3pt shooting. Otherwise, they offer similar things right now as players. I think the PG/SG rotation should be Ball, Clarkson, Hart and KCP. Really no reason to not play Clarkson at PG, especially because if you play him only at SG, then that means you are choosing Caruso/Ennis over Hart/Brewer (and some extra minutes for Clarkson), which makes no sense.

Funny enough, we're 22nd in D right now and 22nd in O. If we can pick up our O to get it into the top 10, while getting our D to something around 20, that's a playoff level output. We're actually closer than one might think to being a decent team. Last night's 4th quarter was very encouraging. We just couldn't sustain the run.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I like Hart playing more than Brewer because Hart offers more 3pt shooting. Otherwise, they offer similar things right now as players. I think the PG/SG rotation should be Ball, Clarkson, Hart and KCP. Really no reason to not play Clarkson at PG, especially because if you play him only at SG, then that means you are choosing Caruso/Ennis over Hart/Brewer (and some extra minutes for Clarkson), which makes no sense.

Funny enough, we're 22nd in D right now and 22nd in O. If we can pick up our O to get it into the top 10, while getting our D to something around 20, that's a playoff level output. We're actually closer than one might think to being a decent team. Last night's 4th quarter was very encouraging. We just couldn't sustain the run.

I agree. We've seen some genuinely good stretches of D during these last 2 games. We just need to eliminate those stretches of absolutely atrocious D. Offensively, I know we're going to get better as the season goes on. The key is to continue to improve on defense.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

LS - I also like the idea of Brewer filling in the 5th spot for our 2nd unit.

JC
Hart
Brewer
Kuz
Randle

This unit can certainly make things happen.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Would love to see them sustain it and make it habit.

When was the last time we saw Clarkson get fired up about a play he made on D? Loved that.
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Right now I'm hoping for more consistency and not continuously falling into blowout territory during a game. Making these runs is not going to matter if they are giving opposing teams 20+ point leads. The wins are gonna come when we see growth and improvement. There is enough talent on this team to not be in the cellar all season long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap DB. Caught only the third quarter myself, and at ts close offered some of the most promising Laker sequences of the young season.

Hope springs eternal.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

I was encouraged by our play defensively in spots but there is no consistency. However it showed that the potential is there if the players are willing to keep up their focus and intensity.

The team is struggling to establish an identity but if they continue to play hard good things will happen
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

I miss Nwaba a lot, but Hart might be that guy for us- not quite as athletic, but equally intense on D and with better shooting.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I thought Luke missed an opportunity by not putting Lopez back in when the Pelicans were pounding it inside and drawing fouls in the last 3 minutes, but at least the team is showing improvement and grit.

Liking the defensive hustle and simple, steady play of Hart. Really hoping Luke doesn't get too cute with Jordan and just lets him grow and flourish in this 3rd guard role. Jordan is acting like a young vet, and while the D still needs work, the focus and flow are definitely coming along well at this stage.

I can live with a rotation of this for now:

C - Lopez
PF - Nance
SF - Ingram
SG - KCP
PG - Ball

6th - Clarkson
7th - Kuzma
8th - Randle
9th - Hart
10th - Brewer
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

should have cut ennis, ian clark would have been better...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: