Why do people speed up to block you from changing lanes when they see your turn signal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has this happened to you before?
Yes, all the time.
45%
 45%  [ 21 ]
Yes, occasionally.
43%
 43%  [ 20 ]
Yes, rarely.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
No, never.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Why do people speed up to block you from changing lanes when they see your turn signal?

Has anyone else experienced this driving around LA and its surrounding areas? I don't understand why people do this. It's one thing to speed up to get out of the way, but these people literally speed up to block the lane change and then slow down again.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

Oh come on it's not only in LA and its surrounding areas. It happens everywhere. People are scumbags.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

happens all the time. I dont put on my signal until I see an opening to not give a driver a chance to close off the space.
Im guilty of preventing people from changing into a lane in front of me myself but the only time I do that is when Im in a slowed down junction or exit lane waiting my turnand someone thinks they can just waltz in at the last second from the more clear lanes to just cut off everyone who was waiting their turn... I despise that and dont let someone just cut me off.

Last edited by audioaxes on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
happens all the time. I dont put on my signal until I see an opening to not give a driver a chance to close off the space.
The only time I do that is when Im in a slowed down junction or exit lane waiting my turnand someone thinks they can just waltz in at the last second from the more clear lanes to just cut off everyone who was waiting their turn... I despise that and dont let someone just cut me off.

I see a lot of people just change lanes without signaling at all. Part of me hates this because it's dangerous, but the other part of me understands why they do it... Why signal if there's a good chance the person will just try to block you?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
The only time I do that is when Im in a slowed down junction or exit lane waiting my turnand someone thinks they can just waltz in at the last second from the more clear lanes to just cut off everyone who was waiting their turn... I despise that and dont let someone just cut me off.

I would rather they hit my car than allow them to cut in front of me in those scenarios.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

Its really annoying when people do this. Sometimes theres a lot of space so i turn my signal on and you can literally hear their engine roar because they floored it to block me. I still get in and when i do they honk their horn.

Another annoying thing is people speed up like crazy because they need to get in to my lane to exit the freeway. Theres not too much space between me and the car in front but behind me theres like a football field size space. Still for some reason they have to cut in front of me to exit. So once I blocked the person on purpose and they missed the exit. This person started honking and got next to me and started saying some bad things lol. I am no expert lip reader but I could make out some words. Lol. I just smiled and went on my way.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

It's funny because I wonder why people try to cut in at the last second instead of taking the safer route and missing the exit and taking the next one.

The thought process he/she who speeds up is that you're enforcing courtesy and "educating" by way of creating consequence.

If cutting others off is always rewarded, there is never an incentive to be more mindful of others.

Like they say in Team Ameria. The world is full of "P", "D", and "A". The "A" people try to cut in. The "P" people just bend over and let them.

Sometimes, you need a "D" to hold off the "A" because the "P" won't do it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

My favorite part is when they don't let you in, you end up behind them, and they're the slower driver anyway.

But, driver culture/education/etiquette in the U.S. has a LONG way to go.

I wish we had Finnish rules about driver education, German paved roads, and autobahn rules, but that's just me.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Happens in London all the time. I just put it down to the general impatience of motorists. Most people always seem to be in a rush to get wherever they're going.

Driving in London is pretty much a case of expecting everybody to be a terrible driver and anticipating foolishness as much as possible.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I have a dash cam and this literally happens about 10-20 times a day on my relatively short commute on the 405.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

It depends.
If I am in the slow lane, and someone is trying to merge left to right so they can exit, then I let them in without question.
If I am flying along in the fast lane with a bit of a safety cushion between me and the car in front of me, and someone comes swooping in recklessly, then I will not just let them in.

Also:
When two lanes are merging into one, take turns. Like a zipper. It is faster and safer.

The left lane is the fast lane. Drive fast or move over, and if someone is catching up, signal and move over a lane to let them by, especially on some lonely stretch of road on the way to Vegas or the river or Mammoth or Tahoe. I can't emphasize this enough. Driving slowly in the fast lane is dangerous, particularly if you see my angry face and white knuckles filling up your rear view mirror. So pretty please, with sugar on top, move over.

I don't care about speed limits. Drive as fast as you like as long as you can handle your car, your car can handle the speed and you don't switch lanes frequently. Changing lanes is much more dangerous than speeding.

Be aware of everything around you. Use your mirrors. A lot. All of them. Observe the traffic around you and learn to anticipate what could happen. Watch for motorcycles splitting lanes and give them a little room.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
It depends.
If I am in the slow lane, and someone is trying to merge left to right so they can exit, then I let them in without question.
If I am flying along in the fast lane with a bit of a safety cushion between me and the car in front of me, and someone comes swooping in recklessly, then I will not just let them in.

Also:
When two lanes are merging into one, take turns. Like a zipper. It is faster and safer.

The left lane is the fast lane. Drive fast or move over, and if someone is catching up, signal and move over a lane to let them by, especially on some lonely stretch of road on the way to Vegas or the river or Mammoth or Tahoe. I can't emphasize this enough. Driving slowly in the fast lane is dangerous, particularly if you see my angry face and white knuckles filling up your rear view mirror. So pretty please, with sugar on top, move over.

I don't care about speed limits. Drive as fast as you like as long as you can handle your car, your car can handle the speed and you don't switch lanes frequently. Changing lanes is much more dangerous than speeding.

Be aware of everything around you. Use your mirrors. A lot. All of them. Observe the traffic around you and learn to anticipate what could happen. Watch for motorcycles splitting lanes and give them a little room.

Yep:

Drivers Who Merge at the Last Minute May Be Annoying … But They're Right

The beauty of zipper merging, or why you should drive ruder

And the left lane issue is very important. It's not just inconsiderate to be a left lane bandit (or to try and be a civilian speed limit enforcer through being an impediment), it's dangerous to others. When you force faster traffic to the middle lanes to avoid, you create a very dangerous situation where that driver must maneuver around slower traffic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Human nature: me first.

It's not that they don't want you to slow them down, they just don't want you in front of them. Can't tell you the amount of times I've been trying to move over into the carpool land and the person in the fast lane, about 50 feet behind sees me and speeds up, even though they have no possible chance to cut me off. Then when I slide into the carpool lane, they slow back down to their previous speed.

I just try my best to never be THAT person.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
It depends.

Also:

Yep:

Drivers Who Merge at the Last Minute May Be Annoying … But They're Right

The beauty of zipper merging, or why you should drive ruder

And the left lane issue is very important. It's not just inconsiderate to be a left lane bandit (or to try and be a civilian speed limit enforcer through being an impediment), it's dangerous to others. When you force faster traffic to the middle lanes to avoid, you create a very dangerous situation where that driver must maneuver around slower traffic.

The zipper merge only works in theory, and only when we are talking about two lanes merging.

Not when we're talking about someone trying to change their lane at the last possible moment so that they don't have to wait in line. Of course, that's not a "merge" per se.

It also irks me to no end, when someone rides the exit only lane on the freeway, of course my exit, and they ride that and then stop and make everyone else wait while they try to get OUT of the exit only and back in with the other cars.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

It also irks me to no end, when someone rides the exit only lane on the freeway, of course my exit, and they ride that and then stop and make everyone else wait while they try to get OUT of the exit only and back in with the other cars.

That is indeed very irritating
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I am a gatekeeping MF on the road

If you didn't take advantage of the on-ramp to accelerate to merging speed which is faster than the flow of traffic, (bleep) off, get behind me. If you're trying to change lanes but are hesitant, and you sit at 59mph with your sphincter puckered and your blinker on for 10 seconds and make me have to think about braking, (bleep) off, get behind me, you're driving too slowly

If you're trying to merge onto the 5--->2fwy interchange at the last second just before the fork, LOL, (bleep) off, I'm creating a one-man forcefield, have fun going to Sacramento

If you're on the 110 trying to get into the 101 interchange without waiting in line, (bleep) off, I will do my best to make sure you have to exit on stadium way to get where you're going

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Those people, are why zipper merges are only good in theory =(

So me, I applaud late merge blockers. They're doing a service, of sorts. Haha.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If more people were courteous and allowed people entering the freeway in that entrance/exit lane to get over, there'd be no need for people to block the cars exiting . . . works both ways, and that's the point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Another one I hate is when 2 lanes are merging and everyone is using the zipper method but some a-hole decides to stay in the right lane, pass everyone and try to force his way in at the end.

I will always do my best to block these guys by keeping as much of my car as possible in the right lane throughout the merging.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Never show your cards until the last minute. If there is indeed 50 feet of space from the car in the fast lane, use that signaler at the last second. It's tried and true. As far as etiquette goes from Western Michigan was one the best places to drive with Nebraska up there as well. Chicago is the worst place I have ever driven in
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If more people were courteous and allowed people entering the freeway in that entrance/exit lane to get over, there'd be no need for people to block the cars exiting . . . works both ways, and that's the point.

nah there's plenty of jerks who would do this regardless. I see it all the time... they have plenty of opportunities to easily merge into thru traffic early but they want to ride out the exit lane as far as possible to cut off as much traffic as possible before squeezing their way in at the very end.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm not referring specifically to the freeway, by the way. This happens just on regular streets too.

Another favorite of mine is when people honk when it's right on red. Obviously I would have gone if I were able to...

lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Bay Area drivers are terrible, second only to Las Vegas.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I wasn't talking about them. I'm talking about people who don't want to sit in the traffic, so they use the exit only lane to move up a little faster, then cut back in.

Making it easier for these guys to do this, isn't going to stop them from doing it. Making it harder, might, though, probably not.

But my point was that because these kind of people exist, zipper merges aren't feasible. Zipper merges require that everyone play nice. One bad apple ruins it.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

It happens much more often when I drive my Prius.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: