Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

No matter how the signing transpired it was a good insurance move. Bogut might only play 30-50 games but will be there if Lopez goes down.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Bogut picked us cause we... LA!!!

Sell that (bleep) Magic!

Yeah, let's bring in more broken unwanted players

Four teams were pursuing this unwanted player but I genuinely admire your ability to (bleep) on absolutely anything the team does

No team pursued him to the point of offering a contract. Only the Lakers did.

You needed a few more days for an additional response to this post and this is what you came up with? Is this a line you expect anyone to buy? Each of those teams was armed with the minimum. He made his choice. You know this, which is the sad part. You know it and are deceitful about it anyway just so you can slag off the front office. Be better than this.

Maybe you just missed it, but Bogut literally said that no other team offered him a contract, and he became frustrated waiting on them and accepted the only offer on the table fearing other teams would hang him out to dry.

I love Bogut's brutal honesty. It's so refreshing in an era of double talk.

On his choosing the Lakers, I feel like it was so likely that he (eventually) get a gig with a contender that it actually did mean something for him to agree with us. It wasn't just any port in the storm.

He's going to use the year to rebuild his value so it's a good arrangement. LA isn't going to overtax him and Luke will probably try to help hm look good. Vent if he spends the year as a practice player, helping our many Centers learn how to do a number of things while having the championship (and toughness) creed to call guys out.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
al242 wrote:
epak wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
I am surprisingly pleased with Magic and Rob. I had my doubts at first. But since Magic no longer tweets craziness and the excitement of the season is here, those doubts are gone.

If he can get rid of Deng without trading Randle, Ingram, Lonzo or multiple firsts, he has earned at least 5 years of no criticism from me.

Clean salary dump of Clarkson without surrendering a future first rounder would be more appropriate. After stretching Deng won't make more than Lonzo next season.

I'm guessing we'll GET a late 1st rounder for Clarkson in February. Really think he will show some improvement and be useful for a playoff team. Well, just a guess.

You realize we barely got a 1st round pick for Lou, and this was a player who's TS% was hovering around 60% at the time.

I’m convinced the reason for this was because it was very obvious we wanted to trade Lou, he’s an older player and his contract was expiring next year.

I’ve seen the following things happen this offseason:
1. Oladipo get you Paul George
2. Zach lavine and Dunn get you Jimmy Butler
3. Kanter get you melo

I raised these earlier points to say, it’s not as simple as you’re trying to make it. If Clarkson has a good season, I expect his trade value to net us something pretty good if handled correctly.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

Agreed. The market for Lou was very thin. Younger, lottery teams aren't going to move picks for Lou. And the top contenders are unlikely to make big changes mid season.

That leaves the market for Lou at mid-low playoff teams only and then among them, those who do not jave a spark plug off the bench.

Thought a first rounder for Lou was pretty good actually, all things considered.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:

Sell that (bleep) Magic!

Four teams were pursuing this unwanted player but I genuinely admire your ability to (bleep) on absolutely anything the team does

You needed a few more days for an additional response to this post and this is what you came up with? Is this a line you expect anyone to buy? Each of those teams was armed with the minimum. He made his choice. You know this, which is the sad part. You know it and are deceitful about it anyway just so you can slag off the front office. Be better than this.
m

I waited until Bogut told us every other team put him on hold, the Lakers were his only offer. He didn’t turn anyone down.

I stand corrected and you have my apologies.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
al242 wrote:
epak wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
I am surprisingly pleased with Magic and Rob. I had my doubts at first. But since Magic no longer tweets craziness and the excitement of the season is here, those doubts are gone.

If he can get rid of Deng without trading Randle, Ingram, Lonzo or multiple firsts, he has earned at least 5 years of no criticism from me.

Clean salary dump of Clarkson without surrendering a future first rounder would be more appropriate. After stretching Deng won't make more than Lonzo next season.

I'm guessing we'll GET a late 1st rounder for Clarkson in February. Really think he will show some improvement and be useful for a playoff team. Well, just a guess.

You realize we barely got a 1st round pick for Lou, and this was a player who's TS% was hovering around 60% at the time.

I’m convinced the reason for this was because it was very obvious we wanted to trade Lou, he’s an older player and his contract was expiring next year.

I’ve seen the following things happen this offseason:
1. Oladipo get you Paul George
2. Zach lavine and Dunn get you Jimmy Butler
3. Kanter get you melo

I raised these earlier points to say, it’s not as simple as you’re trying to make it. If Clarkson has a good season, I expect his trade value to net us something pretty good if handled correctly.

This front office has done a great job of setting up the team for success and now has a host of options available to accomplish returning the team to a consistent playoff team.

Lakers offered more for PG13 and Indiana dumbly decided not to take the best available package. They could have gotten more from Boston also.

Jimmy Butler does make you wonder. Chicago wanted to move up into the draft lottery and we were not going to trade our pick which turned out to be Lonzo Ball. We would have had to include Ingram to get Butler and that was the end of the story. Maybe Russell and Randle could have worked but Russell was already gone by the time the actual trade happened and we would still be stuck with Mozgove, might not have Kuzma and would not have Brook Lopez.

Melo did not have the Lakers on the list and really would not have fit what the Lakers are trying to do as a team.

Anyway if you look at the hand the front office now has arranged it looks pretty good and has a ton flexibility. We have a bunch of young talent that has value, we have good players on expiring contracts that have value and we have a team that is extremely talented and may actually be able to compete this year.

With flexibility comes the ability to make moves and acquire assets that will improve the team.

The Lakers have the flexibility to keep their current collection of player if the team does really well and are a playoff team. If Ball, BI, Randle & KCP form a big 4 you can keep them all and still probably figure out a way to have 2 spot open for a Max FA with letting Lopez go, reworking Deng, not resigning Brewer and trading Clarkson. If Zubac and Bryant look good this is a vialbe option.

The Lakers have the ability to open up space to sign 2 max free agents if they don't resign Brewer, Lopez, and KCP and rework Deng and trade Clarkson for draft picks.

The Lakers have the ability to trade for a max player during the season if one becomes available. Now understand Max type players do not become available very often but at least we are in a good position to acquire on of these guys if they do become available. We have young assets and we have expiring contracts with good players. We can also probably acquire draft picks if we need too. Things happen during the season like last year when Boogie Cousins was traded so it is possible someone becomes available. We are in a great position to make a trade for star while keeping our core together. Heck in the right package Deng might even be included to make the salaries work. Now that would be Magic.

The other thing you must consider when looking at the cards the Lakers hold is that there is a good chance that most of our cards will become more valuable. Ball, BI, Kuzma, Randle, KCP, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac, are all ascending talents and their value will most likely increase as the season progresses. That is 8 guys whose value will probably be greater in 2 months than it is now. If we are looking at trading some young talent for a star we will be better off in a few months as our talent will be more valuable and the star if he is up for a trade will be less valuable.

So our I really like the position the Front office has created and the possible options they have ahead of them. I really like our team just the way it is and so do they which means we don't have to make a move to significantly improve and become a force in the league. That is a nice position to start from. The real question is in judging the front office is how well do we do in developing our assets either for this team or to be used in acquiring new talent and how well do we do in choosing the best paths to making the Lakers great again.

The other thing they have done is make the Lakers a big deal again. They have changed the entire attitude of the organization around and transformed it in ways that are not evident right now. They have managed change in ways that are so successful that Harvard Business School will probably want to write a case and teach on it. They created a new attitude within the Lakers and with the fans and is is contagious so it will keep growing. Plus they will put an exciting product on the floor and the Lakers will be a big thing again.

So great job in transforming the organization and setting up a great hand lets see how they play the cards and then we can judge where they rank in performance. At the end of the day it is all about winning championships if you are a Laker fan. It is probably unfair to have such a high standard but Magic Rob knew what they were getting into. So at the end of the day they need to be the best front office. I for one think they can do it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:

Sell that (bleep) Magic!

m

I waited until Bogut told us every other team put him on hold, the Lakers were his only offer. He didn’t turn anyone down.

No need for apologies, just friendly internet banter. But tonight we can get down to real Laker discussion.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Agreed. The market for Lou was very thin. Younger, lottery teams aren't going to move picks for Lou. And the top contenders are unlikely to make big changes mid season.

That leaves the market for Lou at mid-low playoff teams only and then among them, those who do not jave a spark plug off the bench.

Thought a first rounder for Lou was pretty good actually, all things considered.

Agreed. The only gripe I had was taking on a non expiring player, but that didn't turn out to hurt either.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:

Sell that (bleep) Magic!

m

No need for apologies, just friendly internet banter. But tonight we can get down to real Laker discussion.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:

Sell that (bleep) Magic!

m

A gentleman like discourse. I like it.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

At the moment, the organization appears to be trying to go in several different directions and it might not all mesh together.

1. Unless I missed it, the Analytics Department is still something of a step child that is lacking leadership comparable to top tier teams. If it had actual stature in the organization and the data it produced conflicted with what Magic and presumably Jeanie wanted to do, there would be a problem. By denying the Analytics department attention and stature, the possibility of a internal questioning and even a challenge to a plan by Magic won't arise. It also means that they are going countertrend to most of the other teams in the league.

2. Luke was brought in to coach because he conveniently checks off both a Modern Era box via his time with the Warriors and a Lakers Family box because of being on the roster in the past. There are some questions arising about his coaching, but both the previous FO and the current FO haven't helped matters by having multiple players on the roster that are average at best in three point shooting and have some Iso tendencies.

Totally revamping the roster and shipping out players that don't fit a Warriors system would call into question some of the drafting strategy of the past, but at least it would signal they are going totally in that direction. If they lack the internal resolve to do what is needed, then they need to decide what team they want to be because it is going to be difficult to emulate the Warriors style of play based on the current roster.

3. There is some subtle courting of LeBron and visible moves to have a large chunk of cap space next summer. LeBron tends to be ball dominant and needs adequate three point shooters to create spacing for him. After Lopez, KCP and Kuzma; the three point shooting could be shaky this season. To create enough cap space for LeBron and another Max player, both Lopez and KCP could be playing for other teams next season. That would leave Kuzma as the only carryover from the current squad in regards to respectable three point shooting. The spacing next season could be an issue with that type of roster construction.

LeBron in a ball movement system similar to the Warriors just doesn't appear to be a good fit. They can try it, but the results might not be as good as they hoped.

4. Magic likes to talk to the media much much more than Mitch & Jim did. By coming out so strongly in support of Ingram, it could become difficult for Magic to accept that Kuzma could be eating into the minutes of Ingram which would impact Ingram's development. With a desire to impress top tier free agents by putting a competitive team on the floor this season, playing Kuzma heavy minutes might be the way to go. Doing that would definitely impact Ingram's development and would be backtracking by the organization on the hearty endorsement that Magic gave of him.

Overall, there are some difficult decisions looming for the organization and it will be interesting to see what happens.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/916317049525342208

Quote:

The Lakers are hiring Jason Rosenfeld, the NBA's director of basketball analytics, to fill the same role in L.A., sources say.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

So I guess when Magic said that we had too many players that do the same thing, he was talking about shooters
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
So I guess when Magic said that we had too many players that do the same thing, he was talking about shooters

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

*Nice article by Jabari Davis on the direction of the new era Lakers.

The Lakers’ decision to dive into a new era is about to be put to the test

Quote:
The Lakers’ decision to steer the franchise in a new direction will step up to its first big challenge.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/10/14/16476736/la-lakers-season-preview-lonzo-ball-brandon-ingram-magic-johnson
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Magic: "I built this team based on playoffs", p. 27)

List of Moves Made Under Magic's Management

Lou Williams traded for a late first rounder (Ended up being traded to acquire Josh Hart and T.Bryant)

Traded Huertas for Tyler Ennis.

Hired Rob Pelinka to be the GM.

DLo/Mozgov traded for Lopez and a late first rounder (one Kyle Kuzma who had a workout with the Nets so who knows if the Nets could have drafted him for themselves or packaged the pick elsewhere, whew )

Drafted Lonzo Ball.

Lets go of Tarik Black, Artest, David Nwaba and T.Rob.

Signed KCP to a one year deal (trade kicker).

Signed Tyler Ennis to a one year deal (guaranteed).

Signed Caruso to a 2 way contract.

Signed Bogut for vet minimum one year contact.

Hired Jason Rosenfeld, the NBA’s director of basketball analytics to do the same role for the Lakers.

Hired Gunnar Peterson as Director of Strength and Endurance Training

Brought Kobe into the fold as an unofficial consultant

Hired Turkish insider Can Pelister as youngest international scout of all time

Revamped Basketball Operations staff (Kristen Andrews as Manager of Nutrition and Wellness; Josh Wright and Adi Vase as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coaches)

Took the $500K anti tampering bill out of his pocket.

Signed Vander Blue to the team's last 2 way contract.

Cemented Ball, Ingram and Nance on the starting lineup.

Exercise 2018-19 options on Brandon Ingram, Larry Nance Jr.

SIGNS LBJ TO A 4 YR. CONTRACT

Last edited by Hero Ball on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:09 am; edited 24 times in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't Jose done by Mitch?

Don't forget

Re-sign Kenley and JT
Bring up Bellinger
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Don't forget

Re-sign Kenley and JT
Bring up Bellinger

My bad.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Waived David Nwaba
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Waived David Nwaba

Thanks, added. I'm sorry we made that move.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject:

Fondled Rich Paul's.... 😂😂😂
And don't forget fired Mitch, Jim, Rudy T, Rudy T's son, and Chaz the Bartender (who may or may not lurk on this site). 😂😂😂

I support Magic by the way, no offense to Mitch.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Fondled Rich Paul's.... 😂😂😂

I support Magic by the way.

I think credit should go to Jeanie

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/922289092947148800
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject:

The last one (starting lineup) is a coaching decision. Unless you have knowledge of Magic's direct input, that one should probably be "championed Ingram as the go-to scorer this season".
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Don't forget

Re-sign Kenley and JT
Bring up Bellinger

Trade for Chris Taylor & Yu Darvish. Sent Andrian Gonzales on a family vaca to Europe during the post season. Passed on Verlander and his insanely hot fiancé because, why play the World Series at that point? 😂
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
The last one (starting lineup) is a coaching decision. Unless you have knowledge of Magic's direct input, that one should probably be "championed Ingram as the go-to scorer this season".

That was my angle regarding Ingram.

No way Luke starts a rookie nursing an ankle (IMO) and maybe Nance starting is an analytic advice.

What I know is they have alienated Randle by not starting him.

Last edited by Hero Ball on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 27 of 174
Jump to: