Hoops books: McCallum on Lakers/GSW; Serrano; Pearlman on Shaq/Kobe

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Hoops books: McCallum on Lakers/GSW; Serrano; Pearlman on Shaq/Kobe

A little PSA.

The other night I went and saw Jack McCallum give a reading in the city for his new book. Golden Days. The book is a dual bio of the 1972 Lakers and the current Warriors, the running thread being Jerry West. McCallum is maybe the best NBA writer ever (possible apologies to Bob Ryan, Lee Jenkins, many others), and I've only just started reading Golden Days and it's outstanding as usual. I asked Jack about the challenge of writing about West, because his own very revealing biography and Lazenby's biography came out within past 6 years. McCallum said it was a challenge but he has such great insights and great relationship with West that even the opening chapter -- West, knowing he's going to be leaving the Warriors over a money dispute, but watching Game 4 of the Finals last year with McCallum -- is just fantastic. Can't wait to dig in. Here are a couple of fun pieces Jack's written on his site in preparation for book's release.
http://bit.ly/2zCLEfd
http://bit.ly/2yO3uyj
http://bit.ly/2gDWmuC

Also at the reading that night was the co-author of Bernard King's upcoming autobiography and Alejandro Dalois, who wrote The Boys of Dunbar, about the famous high school team in Baltimore that had Mugsy Bogues, Reggie Williams, Reggie Lewis, and David Wingate on it.

I also just bought Shea Serrano's new book Basketball (and other things), which is him answering certain hoops questions in a unique way. He's a fascinating writer so should be good and just a fun read (the layout with illustrations and style reminds me a bit of Free Darko book). Am I insanely jealous of how Shea's book blew up and is now NY Times best-seller? Of course.

Also, I haven't seen a story on this but there was announcement few months ago that Jeff Pearlman is writing another book on the Lakers.
Quote:

June 27, 2017 - RINGS AND KINGS, by Jeff Pearlman
Non-fiction: Sports
NYT bestselling author of GUNSLINGER Jeff Pearlman's RINGS AND KINGS, the story of the Los Angeles Lakers during the early 2000s, when Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal combined - and mostly collided - to bring the Lakers three straight championships and restore the franchise as a powerhouse, again to Susan Canavan at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, by David Black of the David Black Literary Agency (NA).
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

Adding these books to my current pile.

I'd prefer a USB input in my cranium so I could just upload it.

I start reading and boom 2 pages in I'm asleep.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: