Laker Film Room (Pg. 91: Pete Signed By Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
I clicked on lots of ads ... but where was the "Add Boogie" button? My dream scenario: Pelicans underperform and fear that Boogie walks for nothing. We offer Deng + Randle + Future 1st for a sign-and-trade Boogie. Then, as my pipe dream continues, Paul George leaves the underperforming Thunder to join us as a max free agent.

2018-2019 Lakers rotation?
Lonzo/JC
Hart/JC
Ingram/Kuzma
George/Kuzma
Boogie/Nance/Zubac

In that scenario, George would probably start at two
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
I clicked on lots of ads ... but where was the "Add Boogie" button? My dream scenario: Pelicans underperform and fear that Boogie walks for nothing. We offer Deng + Randle + Future 1st for a sign-and-trade Boogie. Then, as my pipe dream continues, Paul George leaves the underperforming Thunder to join us as a max free agent.

2018-2019 Lakers rotation?
Lonzo/JC
Hart/JC
Ingram/Kuzma
George/Kuzma
Boogie/Nance/Zubac

The Pelicans will try to re-sign Cousins and it will be up to him to stay or go. They won’t put him on the market, they are invested in keeping Davis there.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Podcast: Debating the Lineups

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/10/25/lakers-podcast-debating-the-lineups/
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Really interesting video when you note how teams are rushing back on defense because of Lonzo.

There's a way to calculate RAPM where instead of keeping track of points, you keep track of rebounds. It basically calculates how beneficial you are to rebounding, adjusting for teammate and opponent quality. Would love to see what Lonzo's numbers are this season. Sadly IDK where to get that data so I'll settle for his on/off team rebounding differential, especially on defense.

I was wondering about this too. They forego offensive boards to cover Lonzo's pass aheads and fast breaks. Even if it limits Ball's assists and the Laker transition scoring, it also changes number of possessions, shots per game, opponent second chance points.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Great podcast, GT. BI's post-ASB surge last season was partly fueled by him having those other guys to play off of and draw defensive attention in Dlo and Jules. He didn't have to think too much, and had one simple task - attack the basket when you get the ball and there's an opening. To your and Darius' point, now he's being asked to be the #1 option initiating offense from the strong side, which just isn't a role that suits him at this point of his career. And to make matters worse, we don't have the spacing to compensate for his shortcomings and make his life easier, which is forcing him on a steady diet of mid-range jumpers (a shot he's not proficient at and an inefficient one in general).

We need to insert Jules back in the starting lineup and play BI with him and JC more. It's not perfect, they have their flaws, but Dlo or any other above average shot creator-type ain't walking through that door anytime soon, and these are the two guys we have that can do that. Nance is solid, he hustles, defends well, etc., but he's just not moving the needle on offense and it's making everyone else's job more difficult than it has to be. And he has the type of game that would be just as effective coming off the bench (if not more so in their helter skelter style of play) as long as he's consistently playing with energy which I trust he will, unlike what we've seen with Jules. Luke's experiment to start him was cute and all, but it hasn't worked out and needs to end. Start Lonzo/KCP/BI/Jules/Brook and bring JC/Hart/Kuz/Bogut off the bench. There's your 9-man rotation right there...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I've been wondering why we don't just start our best players and work our way from there. I assume there's some politics and other coaching misc. we aren't privy to but then I also have to consider what if there isn't? Why are we doing this? Which then falls on the coaching decision making.

It's early still. Hopefully, we've started to shed some players from the rotation after these first three and make some progress.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Nice pod dude really find myself in agreement with you guys regarding who should start.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I've been wondering why we don't just start our best players and work our way from there. I assume there's some politics and other coaching misc. we aren't privy to but then I also have to consider what if there isn't? Why are we doing this? Which then falls on the coaching decision making.

It's early still. Hopefully, we've started to shed some players from the rotation after these first three and make some progress.

Maybe it's not so easy as that, such that it's unclear who is currently the best and who could become the best with rapid seasoning. I reckon the goals of the season creates that type of conflict in the short term:

GOAL 1
Test players in enough combinations and against enough opponents to discover who plays best with whom and when, as well to discover who the best players overall actually are for the style of play desired.

VS,

GOAL 2
Trying to win games by playing whoever seems to be the best players at the time, one game at a time. Taking this route risks undervaluing young high potential guys who require development game time.

As for "political aspects", I assume you meant giving heavy consideration for resolving uncomfortable contract implications (Randle, Deng.)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

True, but with regards to BI specifically (and I'm just talking in general, not that you're a proponent of this or anything), I do understand why you wouldn't want to bench him even if he's not one of our best players today. You can argue that it's politics, but at the end of the day, he's a #2 overall pick in his 2nd year now that needs PT to develop and most non-playoff contending teams would do the same in our position. And it's not like he's so far behind right now in terms of ability that it's an absolute travesty he's starting over so-and-so. He can certainly be a top 5 player on this roster if cast in the right role and put in the right positions to maximize his skills - the tools are there. The issue isn't whether he's starting or not, but how the coaching staff is utilizing him when he's out there.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Video: Lakers Defense Tortures Wizards for 53 Minutes

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/10/26/laker-film-room-lakers-defense-tortures-wizards-53-minutes/
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/10/26/laker-film-room-lakers-defense-tortures-wizards-53-minutes/

Thanks GT. Torture indeed

“Do you realize how hard it is to stay in front of John Wall?!”
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Randle was an absolute beast on defense last night, wow
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Thanks GT for the video, I was looking forward to this one. If the Lakers can sustain their defensive effort I'd be so happy.

It would mean a ton for them as a team, and it would also mean a lot for the coaches. This years a test for them just as much as the players.
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I was grinning from ear to ear at the progress I was able to see this game. I really hope it can be sustained.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:

Great vid. Thanks, GT!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks GT! Always love when you focus on defense since it's hard to see that stuff in real time.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball Passing Compilation, Volume 1

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/10/27/laker-film-room-lonzo-ball-passing-compilation-vol-1/
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Just listened to 3/4ths of GT's latest pod (yea, I'm a week late, I know) and had a thought. I got to the part where GT and Darius are discussing who can make the skip pass and how Russell used to be that guy. It made me realize that the guy on this team who, in theory, could play that role is KCP. Suddenly, a light bulb went off... that's exactly what they are having KCP do. I think the coaching staff is trying to mold KCP into that same role.

We've seen a weird amount of midrange shots by KCP near the free throw line that used to be Russell's bread and butter. While KCP is a nice passer, he doesn't have Russell's passing ability. He also doesn't have Russell's savvy as a ball handler in traffic (KCP still hasn't successfully put a defender in jail as far as I can tell). He's also not the pure shooter Russell is. Despite all that, if you look at how KCP has been playing and where he has been taking his shots, that's exactly who it would appear he's trying to replicate.

This would also explain why KCP has disappointed a bit. It may be that we're trying to get him to play a role he either isn't used to or he simply isn't capable of fulfilling.

------------------------------

On a separate note, I'm glad to see that you've come around on Randle GT. Darius is a good influence on you in that regard. On that same note, its absolutely clear that we need at least one of Kuzma, Randle or Clarkson in the starting lineup. We need a minimum of three shot creators on the floor at any given time. It's why our offense has got us into big holes each game - clearly our starting lineup lacks balance.

I'm on the same page as you two with Ingram's role to some extent (although I don't believe he should be benched). The problem I have though is that we're in a bit of a conundrum. If we play Ingram off the ball, while one benefit is that its easier to find seems and weaknesses in the defense that allow you to get to the rim from the weakside (see almost every drive Nance has ever completed), you also want your weakside player to be able to hit his jumpers. However, if Ingram's hitting his jumpers, suddenly his potential as an on the ball player is expanded along with an increased ability to create his own shot. In other words, regardless of the role he plays, Ingram really just needs to be a better shooter. Now, playing off the ball for now may help to take some pressure off him so he can maybe transition easier into being that good shooter but, then again, by keeping him in that role on the strong side, you may be helping him to learn under fire. Honestly, I'm not that confident in either approach and can see arguments for both.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Just listened to 3/4ths of GT's latest pod (yea, I'm a week late, I know) and had a thought. I got to the part where GT and Darius are discussing who can make the skip pass and how Russell used to be that guy. It made me realize that the guy on this team who, in theory, could play that role is KCP. Suddenly, a light bulb went off... that's exactly what they are having KCP do. I think the coaching staff is trying to mold KCP into that same role.

We've seen a weird amount of midrange shots by KCP near the free throw line that used to be Russell's bread and butter. While KCP is a nice passer, he doesn't have Russell's passing ability. He also doesn't have Russell's savvy as a ball handler in traffic (KCP still hasn't successfully put a defender in jail as far as I can tell). He's also not the pure shooter Russell is. Despite all that, if you look at how KCP has been playing and where he has been taking his shots, that's exactly who it would appear he's trying to replicate.

This would also explain why KCP has disappointed a bit. It may be that we're trying to get him to play a role he either isn't used to or he simply isn't capable of fulfilling.

------------------------------

On a separate note, I'm glad to see that you've come around on Randle GT. Darius is a good influence on you in that regard. On that same note, its absolutely clear that we need at least one of Kuzma, Randle or Clarkson in the starting lineup. We need a minimum of three shot creators on the floor at any given time. It's why our offense has got us into big holes each game - clearly our starting lineup lacks balance.

I'm on the same page as you two with Ingram's role to some extent (although I don't believe he should be benched). The problem I have though is that we're in a bit of a conundrum. If we play Ingram off the ball, while one benefit is that its easier to find seems and weaknesses in the defense that allow you to get to the rim from the weakside (see almost every drive Nance has ever completed), you also want your weakside player to be able to hit his jumpers. However, if Ingram's hitting his jumpers, suddenly his potential as an on the ball player is expanded along with an increased ability to create his own shot. In other words, regardless of the role he plays, Ingram really just needs to be a better shooter. Now, playing off the ball for now may help to take some pressure off him so he can maybe transition easier into being that good shooter but, then again, by keeping him in that role on the strong side, you may be helping him to learn under fire. Honestly, I'm not that confident in either approach and can see arguments for both.

I'm come around on Randle because he's playing a lot better. And yes, KCP should be involved in more ball screens.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

You got into it indirectly, but its great to see the spirit of the offense that Luke has been trying to develop show up more and more consistently in recent games, with how everyone is getting more and more unselfish and willing to pass. Even guys like Randle and Clarkson are really starting to look to kick out aftr breaking down the defense, but even on the perimeter,we're startingto see guys make the unselfish pass

Its great to see a truly modern sort of offense start to emerge, it could be the birth of a great team culture if they can sustain it
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Fire on All Cylinders, Beat Pistons

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/11/01/laker-film-room-lakers-fire-cylinders-beat-pistons/
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

i see what you did there
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Great vid GT! Loved that you spotlighted JC/Hart battling down low in the switch everything lineups. I'll admit I didn't notice it watching the game.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Great vid GT! Loved that you spotlighted JC/Hart battling down low in the switch everything lineups. I'll admit I didn't notice it watching the game.

Hart's ability to battle against bigger players is one my favorite things about his game. It's the second piece of the switch-everything puzzle (along with bigs that can switch on to guards, of course). I'm glad to see Clarkson working hard on that, too.

It's one of the things I disliked about D'Lo's defense - he rarely played big against bigger players, like Hart does. Maybe he'll grow into it as he develops. Hart has a couple years on him and the grown man's body as a head start in the league.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
tox wrote:

Hart's ability to battle against bigger players is one my favorite things about his game. It's the second piece of the switch-everything puzzle (along with bigs that can switch on to guards, of course). I'm glad to see Clarkson working hard on that, too.

It's one of the things I disliked about D'Lo's defense - he rarely played big against bigger players, like Hart does. Maybe he'll grow into it as he develops. Hart has a couple years on him and the grown man's body as a head start in the league.

Hart's got a lot more dog in him than Russell does, I don't think it's a matter of his age.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 39 of 93
Jump to: