Lonzo's Ball shooting: A issue of mechanics/focus/both?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Lonzo's Ball shooting: A issue of mechanics/focus/both?

I am not a big fan of Lonzo's Ball shooting form. It limits the kind of shots he can shoot. If his shooting does not improve, I think the Lakers will encourage him to develop a more effective form.

Lonzo had a high fg percentage in college, but I am not sure how many of his shots were mid range jumpers. One of the flaws of his form is that it negates (or makes it really hard to shoot) the mid-range shot. That shot is probably the best shot in basketball outside of the layup or dunk.

I think its too early for him to change his shot. However, (as someone who plays basketball) I feel that Lonzo's calm personality is hurting him a bit when he shoots. In other words, he's too laid back. Remember when Karl Malone was at the freethrow line, you notice how he's always mumbling something to himself?

What Karl Malone was doing is called positive affirmation. In a way Karl Malone was putting himself into a trance and I believe this made him more focus. Karl Malone in general, (dont know about freethrows but in general) was a terrific mid-range jump shooter his whole career.

At this point in the game, I wouldn't go to Lonzo about changing his shot. However, if he does not do this already, I would talk to him about positive affirmation when he shots. Literally, before he shoots the ball, I would like him to tell himself to focus or whatever code word he would like to use in his mind before he shoots. When he does this, it will align his mind with his entire body and his attention will be fully focus on one goal, and thats the ball going through the net.

I think this would really help him. There's a quiet & powerful intensity to most great shooters that people often miss. When you see larry bird or michael jordan shoot, it looks easy and seamless to most. What I see is mechanical excellence + extreme focus. (every time i saw michael jordan shoot/play, he was sweating on his forehead from the mental exertion and focus he exhibited on the court )

Bottom line, Lonzo's mechanics are not going to change this early. Therefore, a new mental approach can definitely help him. I can speak from personal experience (as someone who plays basketball) this will help his shot.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

I think gradually he should change it. They get in and thats all that counts, hes not a bad shooter but it makes things more difficult. Its a slow release, and you know how they say at the gym, the easiest way to do it is to do it properly. Ditto in this case.
Gradually he should definitely correct is as much as he can.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

confidence, he hesitates and is learning where he can and cant get playing against grown men he will be fine in another 10 games or so
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

A lot of rookies shoot poorly from 3. I think he's testing things out, think he tried putting more arc on the ball so his rattling out misses stop, but his form isn't conducive with more arc (at least right now) , the way it comes out , it's trajectory is matter of fact when it goes in..
He should get back to shooting like the PHX game more often. He misses midrange pull-ups to the right in hords in pre-game, probably never be able to make those
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

Maybe have him drink 5 coffees before the game lol. That ought to amp him up lol.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Oddly enough, I feel like he's hit more midrange/floaters this year than 3's.

I've been saying "give him time" since SL and I still think he needs time, but I do have questions about whether that shooting form is one that can produce consistent results.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

He looks hesitant and part of it im guessing is his instinct to make the "right" play.

I'd hope to see more attempts with floaters, mid range, and dunks when open. It feels like some of his layups have a lot of ball spin from unnecessary movements (like pumps in the air)

Last edited by Laker_Town on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

His player comparison says Jason Kidd, who also couldn't shoot earlier in his career.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

Not worried about it. It’s more mentally than anything. He need at least a lot of games to get comfortable and be more confident.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

The issue is he is 19.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Chris Webber said that Lonzo's shot reminded him of Kevin Martin who also had an awkward looking shot, but was one of the better NBA shooters.

Seems more like confidence right now. Probably just me or does it look like Lonzo hesitates or has been 2nd guessing himself whenever he takes a 3-point shot?

Also when the Lakers need to hit clutch free throws, it's Lonzo who comes out to do the inbound pass rather than be the one to be fouled to shoot. But it's also because he's our best passer, but would be nice to see him step up to shoot as well.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Everyone knew he had terrible mechanics and a bad shooting form that would eventually need to change if he were to become even a mediocre NBA shooter.

He shoots from a low point and across his body. It worked OK in college, because he mostly jacked off quick shots to catch the defense off guard. Defenders are better and quicker in the NBA so he can't get away with it.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

I think since he's a rookie, he's pushing it too, hence the jumping forward into his shot. Some of his shots look good, just not falling. I personally don't think it's anything to worry about right now, and most likely never once he gets used to the NBA.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Chris Webber said that Lonzo's shot reminded him of Kevin Martin who also had an awkward looking shot, but was one of the better NBA shooters.

Seems more like confidence right now. Probably just me or does it look like Lonzo hesitates or has been 2nd guessing himself whenever he takes a 3-point shot?

Also when the Lakers need to hit clutch free throws, it's Lonzo who comes out to do the inbound pass rather than be the one to be fouled to shoot. But it's also because he's our best passer, but would be nice to see him step up to shoot as well.

Kmart had a one hand release which gives him better consistency. Zo has a 1 and 1/2 hand release so more moving parts and less consistency. I think he should try and tinker to get a one hand release like Kmart's.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Man I wish you back seat basketball players would stop. He mostly likely just needs to adjust to the NBA game like every other young guard. He's a good shooter and you will probably see it more in the second half of the season. You don't change a shot that is that unorthodox unless you want to completely sabotage his offensive game.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

give the dude Time

no way he can change now he has done it his whole life now.

Reggie Miller had a weird stroke so did the Matrix
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball & Kevin Martin shooting forms.

Btw, Lonzo's shot doesn't look crooked, his bricks are either too strong or too short, but aim is pretty precise. Shockingly he also gets it off with just enough time, but sometimes have to do a step back to make sure he gets spacing to release which makes it harder. One other issue is his arc isn't high enough to give him that "shooter's bounce".
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

probably lack of strength/ still getting used to nba range more than anything else
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

As said before, even Kevin Martin changed his form.

Lonzo only takes the perimeter shot when he's SIDE open and doesn't get sped up too much. Think the gather slows him a bit.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

Rhythm. I think he's a rhythm player and needs others to create easy looks like layups for him to get him going.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
probably lack of strength/ still getting used to nba range more than anything else

Actually, most people think his form comes from shooting at a really early age when he needed to push the ball like that to get it to the rim. As he got older and stronger, the form stuck.

It's not NBA range that's the distance. In college, he tended to shoot 3-pointers from the NBA range. The issue is really that he almost always shoots pull up 3s the same way, stepping back to his left. The predictability, along with the low release point, make him easy to defend for the quicker, bigger players in the pros.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Rhythm. I think he's a rhythm player and needs others to create easy looks like layups for him to get him going.

I'd love to see Luke actually design a play to get him one... like literally ONE. Watch some tapes of UCLA for christsakes.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

The concerning thing is that even when winning the summer league MVP, he still shot only 38%. With that said, it seems like he's actually missing a lot of open shots, which wouldn't be affected by his shooting form.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

A problem with Lonzo's jumper is he doesn't get much extension
and height. So in traffic he will have a hard time shooting over
defenders.
As he gets stronger he will be able to shoot with his wrists instead of his arms and body. And get high extension to shoot over defenders.
Wouldn't change his outside shot.
But in traffic close defender situations he needs to develop a
high extension jumper if possible.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lonzo had a high fg percentage in college, but I am not sure how many of his shots were mid range jumpers. One of the flaws of his form is that it negates (or makes it really hard to shoot) the mid-range shot. That shot is probably the best shot in basketball outside of the layup or dunk.

If by "the best shot in basketball outside of the layup or dunk" you mean "the worst shot in basketball" then yeah
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: