WIZARDS -at- LAKERS – 10-25-17 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Everybody had their moments. Lonzo must develop some type of go-to shot (I never witnessed his inconsistency like this watching UCLA last year.) KCP is very solid, albeit frustratingly absent on O at times. Ingram looked go-to in the 4th. Randall really could play better than Larry Jr. in the starting Line-up. But Larry's hustle was terrific in the first half. Team D does seem better. More to be revealed on this season. (Thanks for the highlights.)
John O
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

Great to see progress for our young guys and for the team as a whole.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Hart showing he can take on bigs defensively on a switch in this game and the last. He uses leverage and effort amazingly well in those situations.

Yeah, he plays so much bigger than he is.

Yeah i saw that too. I was like what in the world!! This guy can be a really good defender in this league.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Thanks DB. In a season where progress is so important and the young kids showing promise, it was exciting to see the lakers compete and hold a talented wizards offense to 99 points including OT period.

Other than the clippers game, the lakers have done a good job just playing hard and finding ways to stay in games and even close out a couple. The clippers are off to a hot start so that’s fine, just keep showing up

Feels like Luke and the team are learning something every game. Hopefully, the progress continues.

This kid is learning about the tools he has at his disposal. He's learning to maximize them by playing his best players, and, depending on the opponent, tinker with combinations until there's results.

This kid I'm speaking of? Luke. I have to keep in mind that from a coaching standpoint he's coaching at the same rate of youngsters Brandon & Zubac.

Thanks DB!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I will take 2-2 and we could easily be 3-1.

DB, you forgot to mention Lonzo's great offensive rebound and quick feed to Randle for the back breaking 3.

That is a winning play made by a winner which is what Lonzo Ball is.

Zo made a ton of winning plays in crunch time despite not shooting well. I love his composure and leadership.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Hart showing he can take on bigs defensively on a switch in this game and the last. He uses leverage and effort amazingly well in those situations.

Yeah, he plays so much bigger than he is.

Yeah i saw that too. I was like what in the world!! This guy can be a really good defender in this league.

Gotta appreciate the grit and toughness that Kuz and Hart show already as rookies. Neither guy backs down at all defensively even if they are at a disadvantage in terms of strength and/or speed.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Good stuff as always.

So far, Lonzo is averaging 11.5/9/9. Most impressive? He leads us in rebounding (that's good and bad). He seems unfazed with being on the big stage. I like it he didn't get into all that "no mercy" smack about his matchup with big bad John Wall. He just went out there, played his game, and sent Wall back to D.C. with an L.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

DB, you forgot to mention Lonzo's great offensive rebound and quick feed to Randle for the back breaking 3.

No, DB had the play. Lonzo didn't rebound that ball, he drove it into the paint, drew two men including Gortat, and then kicked it out to Randle for the three.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

It's very important for the coming 10 or so games that we don't give up leads

We were 5-5 last season too and then everything went to (bleep) because we started giving up
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

Great write-up as usual DB.

Randle - His D clearly impacted the game in crunch-time. I cringed when he blew that absolute gimme at the rim, but he then followed it up with the most natural-looking 3 ball I've seen him shoot so far this season. Great job of staying in the moment. I was watching the ESPN broadcast, and Mark Jackson thought the last defensive play by Randle (where replays showed Wall touched the ball last) was an obvious foul. That was a great no-call (Randle had verticality and ate an elbow as well).

BI - Had the most complete game of his career IMO. I was happy with every facet of his game from scoring, defense, rebounding and playmaking. He finally found some success with his pet move - hard drive right into a Euro-step going left. He got the and-1 against Oubre earlier in the game and then used that move to set-up the game tying tip-in. Once he gets stronger, he'll be finishing that play with more consistency. One thing I loved about his game last night is that he didn't force the issue in OT after carrying us in the 4th.

Lonzo - Poor shooting night but he did just about everything else well. Many were worried about his defense going into this season, but it's clear that Lonzo isn't a liability on that end of the floor. He needs to navigate screens better, but you aren't going to embarrass him straight-up, which Wall found out last night. I know KCP and Randle guarded Wall in crunch-time, but Lonzo more than held his own earlier in the game. I love this kid's poise out there and the fact that he's not afraid to take the big shot if it's available to him. He missed 2 great looks behind the arc but wasn't afraid at all to take those shots.

Kuz - I love that we have another guy in Kuz who is going to affect the game in other ways even if his shot isn't falling. He was missing all over the place on wide open 3s, but he was still unafraid to take the next one. I thought he did a great job defensively when he switched onto guards, and of course, his off-the-ball movement often bails the Lakers out of tough offensive possessions. I love that he's closed the last 2 games for us.

KCP - The guy is so erratic offensively. It seems like he isn't comfortable scoring unless he's going 100 mph. He wasn't even close on the wide-open 3 that Lonzo fed him but looked comfortable curling into that corner 3. Gotta love the intensity he always brings on the defensive end.

Hart - Can't believe that we have 3 rookies that can contribute right away. I have a feeling Hart will be stealing crunch-time minutes from JC and KCP by the end of the season. This kid doesn't back down from anyone defensively.

Nance - I wasn't happy about Nance starting, but I have to admit that he has played fantastic throughout these first 4 games. His activity level on both ends of the floor has been consistent.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

No, DB had the play. Lonzo didn't rebound that ball, he drove it into the paint, drew two men including Gortat, and then kicked it out to Randle for the three.

Yup. Lonzo pushed the ball hard in transition, sucked in the D and got Randle a wide open look.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

Yeah I liked Luke's rotations tonight. In hindsight they were very effective all game long, with the possible exception that Brewer was having an off night. Accidental genius having Randle come in with so little playing time, he had so much left in the tank he tore the Wiz to pieces to finish the game and in OT. That lack of playing time for Randle is a problem though, how to balance Nance and Randle in this lineup. They both had huge positive impacts in this game; Nance with offensive rebounding, putbacks, some scoring, and stellar defense throughout the first half, Randle literally playing like an all star on both ends of the court at the end. Gotta play Kuzma too, a rookie but he's so dangerous as a triple threat scorer and can play D as well, he's way too good not to develop and play, and then there's Ingram. Luke has some interesting rotation pieces to balance out here.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

JM wrote:
Everybody had their moments. Lonzo must develop some type of go-to shot (I never witnessed his inconsistency like this watching UCLA last year.) KCP is very solid, albeit frustratingly absent on O at times. Ingram looked go-to in the 4th. Randall really could play better than Larry Jr. in the starting Line-up. But Larry's hustle was terrific in the first half. Team D does seem better. More to be revealed on this season. (Thanks for the highlights.)

They had some off-ball plays to set him up at the rim that would usually get a couple scores every game it seemed. Lakers need to work that into the mix for him sometime, as well.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

Lonzo - Poor shooting night but he did just about everything else well. Many were worried about his defense going into this season, but it's clear that Lonzo isn't a liability on that end of the floor. He needs to navigate screens better, but you aren't going to embarrass him straight-up, which Wall found out last night. I know KCP and Randle guarded Wall in crunch-time, but Lonzo more than held his own earlier in the game. I love this kid's poise out there and the fact that he's not afraid to take the big shot if it's available to him. He missed 2 great looks behind the arc but wasn't afraid at all to take those shots.

Nice write up yourself. I agree with everything but the bolded. To me he hesitated for a second on quite a bit of those open threes/shots. Now maybe he wasn't "afraid" per se but he was definitely questioning whether he should be taking them (or whether he could make them?). Which is crazy, take the open shot kid.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Great game by the kids. Funny to see KCP @ 24 as the 'old man' on the court.

Love the poise shown by all of our 1st rounders. I like the attitude that if one segment of your game is off or not being showcased, that you can still have an impact on the game with your other talents. Just make the most of your time. Randle seemed to get that message last night and he was great. His focus and energy kept Nance (who had a double/double thru 3Q) on the bench in the 4th and OT.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Good to see them win the game through their defensive hustle and execution. Even with the OT we held the Wiz to under 100. If we can get that defensive effort consistently and start hitting a few shots we will be in great shape.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

Nice write up yourself. I agree with everything but the bolded. To me he hesitated for a second on quite a bit of those open threes/shots. Now maybe he wasn't "afraid" per se but he was definitely questioning whether he should be taking them (or whether he could make them?). Which is crazy, take the open shot kid.

No doubt he has moments where he passes up shots, but with regards to the last 2 threes he shot, he definitely shot them with confidence.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always, DB!

These young players are starting to show the growth we've all been hungry for! These are the type of games that make all the ugly games worth it, lol.

I like Luke moving Clarkson to backup PG, and giving him the responsibility to lead that second unit. He's starting to show the court vision he displayed in his rookie year, again. If Randle can channel what he did against the Wizards, and play that way consistently, he would be our starting PF. He has the talent, just needs to get his head straight.

Looking forward to see how our team progresses from here, trying to build off the great win, over a quality team.

ZOOM!!!!!!!!
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

As an avid Randle hater he impressed me in this game. A motivated Randle is scary.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Thanks as always, DB!

These young players are starting to show the growth we've all been hungry for! These are the type of games that make all the ugly games worth it, lol.

Much rather win ugly than lose ugly.

Honestly, if this team learns that they can win ugly, kind of like last night -- guys didn't have shots dropping but still contributed. That's a sign of growth/maturity. Really great to see from the young guys. And hopefully we do see it with more and more regularity.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:

We had 3 rookies in at crunch time this game.
Kuz, Hart and Zo.
And they all had some great moments and will only improve.

Had a smile on my face after this one. What a great win. Lonzo needs to be just a bit more aggressive with his attempts at the rim. A few layups he tried to get a little too cute with. He needs to hammer some of those down.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: