Best 3 Movie Run For An Actor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
(I have no idea how "Outbreak" only has a 59% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

cuba gooding jr.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
(I have no idea how "Outbreak" only has a 59% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

cuba gooding jr.

Oscar winner!
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm going with Kevin Spacey's 3-movie run, all in 1995.

The Usual Suspects
Outbreak
Seven

That is just remarkable. One iconic character, major parts in setting off two of the great endings in movie history and a role in a solid action/thriller.

Or if you are so inclined, I could see someone selecting Spacey's trio of:

Seven
A time to Kill
LA Confidential

That guy was absolutely on fire in the 90s!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:

The Usual Suspects
Outbreak
Seven

That is just remarkable. One iconic character, major parts in setting off two of the great endings in movie history and a role in a solid action/thriller.

Seven
A time to Kill
LA Confidential

You aren't going with Spacey's role in "See No Evil, Hear No Evil?" In all seriousness, that was the first movie I remember Spacey in.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Morgan Freeman - Unforgiven/Shawshank/Outbreak/Se7en

Great call. Really, really great call. "Unforgiven" is one of the two greatest modern westerns IMO, along with "Open Range" for me. ("Open Range", another Costner flick. He has so many movies I love.) "Shawshank" is in a tie with "JFK" for my favorite movie of all time. And "Outbreak" and "Seven" are both fantastic thrillers. (I have no idea how "Outbreak" only has a 59% score on Rotten Tomatoes. It's entertaining from start to finish.)

I sort of liked Outbreak, but in all fairness, it was a case of a unbelievably awesome cast dragging along a really mundane movie. Dustin Hoffman, Morgan Freeman, Rene Russo, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Patrick Dempsey. Sheesh. But let's be honest. It was horribly clichéd plot that avoided common sense like the plague (pun intended) and that had an implausible ending (Dustin Hoffman in a helicopter pulling a Tiananmen Square move against a bomber). I have no idea how the studio got all of those people to sign on for such a mediocre script.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I know what you mean about the Studios forcing Actors to take on roles back in the day, and he did make some clunkers and I've seen Across the Pacific too (it's just ok), but I'm pretty sure Casablanca and Maltese Falcon are on a few of the Greatest 100 Movies of all-time lists, that's why I went with those, although African Queen, The Caine Mutiny, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, and Key Largo gotta be up there in Boggies top ten as well...

Glad to see someone on here appreciating the classics... I tried to also list Errol Flynn, but it was nearly impossible to find three good ones in a row...

My favorite Bogart flick is The Big Sleep. I couldn't tell you why. The plotline was convoluted, and one of the murders never actually gets solved. But still, it was Bogie and Bacall, and there's just something about that film.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Tom Cruise

Cocktail
Rain Man
Born on the 4th of July

and I am a huge fan of Days of Thunder which followed Born on the 4th of July, but I get only a select group feel that way about DoT.

I love Days Of Thunder! I mean, Cole Trickle? Buck Bretherton? Harry Hogge? Rowdy Burns? Russ Wheeler? Even the names are fantastic lol.

dont forget Dr. Claire Lewicki....Nicole was hot in that movie.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Why are people posting more than 3? The whole point is to pick the 3.

Not at least 3.

those idiots...

Haha, I mean, it's like pick your top 3 favorite movies and people are listing 8. Why? Drives me nuts I tell you! Haha.

The whole point of limiting it to 3 is that in some cases, the decision is very difficult!

Sign of our times I guess.

I disagree....look how hard it is to find an actor...even the greats that rolled off 3 good ones in a roll.....its crazy when someone has longer streaks
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Why are people posting more than 3? The whole point is to pick the 3.

Not at least 3.

those idiots...

Haha, I mean, it's like pick your top 3 favorite movies and people are listing 8. Why? Drives me nuts I tell you! Haha.

The whole point of limiting it to 3 is that in some cases, the decision is very difficult!

Sign of our times I guess.

I disagree....look how hard it is to find an actor...even the greats that rolled off 3 good ones in a roll.....its crazy when someone has longer streaks

Yes but a) the thread question specifically says to name/list 3. Not as many as you want with 3 as a minimum. And b) Limiting it will make comparisons harder, which is the fun of it.

If you find one guy with a 7 movie streak then it's probably over. But if you limit it to 3, now you have to pick which 3 so you can compare it to someone else. Do you pick the first three because I might pick the last 3 and someone else might pick the middle three, etc.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Adam Sandler.

Jack and Jill
That's My Boy
Grown Ups 2

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Great call. Really, really great call. "Unforgiven" is one of the two greatest modern westerns IMO, along with "Open Range" for me. ("Open Range", another Costner flick. He has so many movies I love.) "Shawshank" is in a tie with "JFK" for my favorite movie of all time. And "Outbreak" and "Seven" are both fantastic thrillers. (I have no idea how "Outbreak" only has a 59% score on Rotten Tomatoes. It's entertaining from start to finish.)

I sort of liked Outbreak, but in all fairness, it was a case of a unbelievably awesome cast dragging along a really mundane movie. Dustin Hoffman, Morgan Freeman, Rene Russo, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Patrick Dempsey. Sheesh. But let's be honest. It was horribly clichéd plot that avoided common sense like the plague (pun intended) and that had an implausible ending (Dustin Hoffman in a helicopter pulling a Tiananmen Square move against a bomber). I have no idea how the studio got all of those people to sign on for such a mediocre script.

Yeah, it's a great cast, and I was entertained throughout. I can agree with you that it's not the most complicated script/plot I've ever seen (and I did remember how quickly Kevin Spacey's character succumbs to the disease, whereas Rene Russo's character seems to hold on), but I like disaster movies (of any kind, really, this one being a plague disaster), and I do think the actors make a difference. I mean, Dustin Hoffman is willing to die just to be able to touch his ex-wife's face one last time!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
I know what you mean about the Studios forcing Actors to take on roles back in the day, and he did make some clunkers and I've seen Across the Pacific too (it's just ok), but I'm pretty sure Casablanca and Maltese Falcon are on a few of the Greatest 100 Movies of all-time lists, that's why I went with those, although African Queen, The Caine Mutiny, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, and Key Largo gotta be up there in Boggies top ten as well...

Glad to see someone on here appreciating the classics... I tried to also list Errol Flynn, but it was nearly impossible to find three good ones in a row...

My favorite Bogart flick is The Big Sleep. I couldn't tell you why. The plotline was convoluted, and one of the murders never actually gets solved. But still, it was Bogie and Bacall, and there's just something about that film.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about The Big Sleep, I like that one too, I even have it on DVD...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Honorable mention to Miles Teller, hope this isn't cheating because there is one movie in between I have never heard of.

War Dogs
Only The Brave
Thank You For Your Service
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Yeah, Costner has the gift of being able to make only truly great or truly awful films. Guilty Costner pleasure: Revenge, with Anthony Quinn and Madeline Stowe.

But JFK belongs in the awful category. Such a horrible pastiche if every debunked conspiracy theory.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Yeah, Costner has the gift of being able to make only truly great or truly awful films. Guilty Costner pleasure: Revenge, with Anthony Quinn and Madeline Stowe.

But JFK belongs in the awful category. Such a horrible pastiche if every debunked conspiracy theory.

I don't love "JFK" because I took it as gospel. I just find it to be incredibly compelling filmmaking. It's engrossing. The movie's over 3 hours long and I never feel like it's dragging. It just keeps your attention. SOMETHING untoward happened with the assassination--the American public definitely did NOT get the actual story back in '63--and Oliver Stone drives this ship in a certain direction and makes a great movie out of it.

You're inarguably right about Costner, though: so many great movies and quite a few bombs. He seems to really hit with the Western genre, both in film and in television ("Hatfields & McCoys"). Even some non-hits of his, like "Dragonfly", "Draft Day", and "For Love Of The Game" (Vin Scully is in it!), I really enjoyed. And I certainly recognize that he isn't the greatest actor who ever lived. But for the most part, there's just something about the guy that makes me like his movies.
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject:

Tom Hanks:

Philadelphia (Oscar winner)
Forrest Gump (Oscar winner)
Apollo 13

note: the year before Philadelphia, he starred in Sleepless in Seattle
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

Steve McQueen - The Cincinnati Kid, Nevada Smith, Sand Pebbles, The Thomas Crown Affair. Bullitt was next.

Greg9ry Peck - On the Beach, Guns of Navarone, Cape Fear. How the West Was Won, To Kill a Mockingbird

Robert Redford - The Way We Were, The Sting, The Great Gatsby
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

Chris Tucker:

Friday
Rush Hour 1
Rush Hour 2
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Will Smith:

Bad Boys (1995)
Independence Day (1996)
Men In Black (1997)
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

I think this will trump all of you...

Bruce Lee

The Big Boss
The Chinese Connection
The Way of the Dragon
Enter the Dragon

I know you asked for three, but you can't leave out the Big Boss, the first of his 4-peat before parting this earth and becoming immortalized.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Chris Tucker:

Friday
Rush Hour 1
Rush Hour 2

except those were not 3 consecutive movies. He was in a couple of other movies between Friday and Rush Hour 1.
OT: IMO Money Talks was very underrated. Chris Tucker comedic presence carried an otherwise unoriginal and forgettable movie.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I think this will trump all of you...

Bruce Lee

The Big Boss
The Chinese Connection
The Way of the Dragon
Enter the Dragon

I know you asked for three, but you can't leave out the Big Boss, the first of his 4-peat before parting this earth and becoming immortalized.

LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Holy Schnikes, not one mention of the late Chris Farley?!

Tommy Boy (1995)
Black Sheep (1996)
Beverly Hills Ninja (1997)
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:

The Usual Suspects
Outbreak
Seven

Seven
A time to Kill
LA Confidential

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
governator wrote:
Chris Tucker:

Friday
Rush Hour 1
Rush Hour 2

except those were not 3 consecutive movies. He was in a couple of other movies between Friday and Rush Hour 1.
OT: IMO Money Talks was very underrated. Chris Tucker comedic presence carried an otherwise unoriginal and forgettable movie.

you're right. I just wanna plug that movie friday (greatest low budget movie of all time), hard to justify putting Chris Tucker next couple movies (fifth element)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: