College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

It would be really difficult to keep Georgia or Alabama out if they run the table and their only loss would be to each other.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
It would be really difficult to keep Georgia or Alabama out if they run the table and their only loss would be to each other.

True, but Georgia is like Oklahoma. They usually manage to lose a game when you least expect it.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Murdock wrote:

True, but Georgia is like Oklahoma. They usually manage to lose a game when you least expect it.

These aren’t mark richts bulldogs though.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

why is this so hard....

- 6 Team Playoff
- 5 Power 5 Conference Champions and
- highest ranked Group of 5 or Independent
- Top 2 Teams get a bye in opening round
- could always expand to 8 teams, and forgo the bye's

I simply do not trust the committee, and the more they can be removed, the better. The goal should be to win your conference....because in many cases we do not really know how good these teams are because they mostly play within conference.

For example, is Ohio State a good football team? What if they beat Penn State and Michigan? Probably, but all we really know is when they stepped out of their conference and played a good Big 12 team, they were easily defeated.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
why is this so hard....

- 6 Team Playoff

That may be an intermediate step, but the end result will be eight teams. It will be five conference champions plus three wild cards (with one slot earmarked for a Group of 5 team ranked in the top 15). Of course, by the time we get to that point, we may not have a Power 5 structure. I'm not sure what is going to happen with the Big 12 in the long run. If the big schools in that conference were really committed, I think they would have expanded.

The problem with the six team system as you describe it is that you could see a scenario where an undefeated Alabama or Ohio State team gets upset in the conference title game by an 8-4 team, and they have to watch on TV as the 8-4 team and someone like UCF or Utah State make the playoffs.

I can see why that might seem like a just result, but it wouldn't fly. It puts too much importance on the conference title games, which are based on divisions within the conferences. In other words, it may not be 12-0 Alabama vs. 12-0 Georgia. It may be 12-0 Alabama against 8-4 Georgia. Inevitably, there would be a year where we saw a string of upsets in the conference title games, and the playoff would be a farce. With an eight team playoff, the wild card slots would let the committee fix the problem.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
why is this so hard....

- 6 Team Playoff

That may be an intermediate step, but the end result will be eight teams. It will be five conference champions plus three wild cards (with one slot earmarked for a Group of 5 team ranked in the top 15). Of course, by the time we get to that point, we may not have a Power 5 structure. I'm not sure what is going to happen with the Big 12 in the long run. If the big schools in that conference were really committed, I think they would have expanded.

The problem with the six team system as you describe it is that you could see a scenario where an undefeated Alabama or Ohio State team gets upset in the conference title game by an 8-4 team, and they have to watch on TV as the 8-4 team and someone like UCF or Utah State make the playoffs.

I can see why that might seem like a just result, but it wouldn't fly. It puts too much importance on the conference title games, which are based on divisions within the conferences. In other words, it may not be 12-0 Alabama vs. 12-0 Georgia. It may be 12-0 Alabama against 8-4 Georgia. Inevitably, there would be a year where we saw a string of upsets in the conference title games, and the playoff would be a farce. With an eight team playoff, the wild card slots would let the committee fix the problem.

I agree with almost all of what you posted, but I am not sure we would not be ok with an 8-4 team is in the CFB Playoffs while an 11-1 team goes to a New Years Bowl game....we are fine with it when it happens every year in the NCAA Tournament....we actually hope for those Mercer beating Duke games. I think overall, full control over one's destiny should be the goal.

In regards to the Big 12, I see them making similar mistakes that were made in the Big East. I still believe there is a chance that if the Big East did the right thing earlier, splitting off from the BBall only schools...it may be a football conference with Miami, Va. Tech, WVU, Cuse, BC, Pitt....maybe Louisville. A fairly strong and stable conference.....but Tranghese marched to a beat defined by those NE BBall schools. The Big 12 will regret allowing Oklahoma and Texas having so much power in the direction of the conference.

If I was the Big 12, I would add USF and UCF tomorrow. Both are sleeping giants in college football.

- UCF largest University in USA....USF is in the top 20.
- Conference dives into one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in USA.
- USF (Tampa/St. Pete) 13th largest TV Market.
- UCF (Orlando/Daytona) 19th largest TV Market.
- Conference gets an already growing rivalry.

Going to 12 teams, creating divisions, and adding 2 schools with great potential in solid markets would help stabilize the conference in my opinion.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I agree with almost all of what you posted, but I am not sure we would not be ok with an 8-4 team is in the CFB Playoffs while an 11-1 team goes to a New Years Bowl game....we are fine with it when it happens every year in the NCAA Tournament....we actually hope for those Mercer beating Duke games. I think overall, full control over one's destiny should be the goal.

It's one thing for Mercer to beat Duke in the tournament. It's another thing for Duke to get left out of the tournament in favor of Mercer.

I've disliked the conference title games in football all along. They are made for TV events that cheapen the regular season. They facilitated the creation of exclusionary super-conferences with 16 teams, and that slowly crushed the other conferences and turned college sports into a game of musical chairs.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
why is this so hard....

- 6 Team Playoff

I simply do not trust the committee, and the more they can be removed, the better. The goal should be to win your conference....because in many cases we do not really know how good these teams are because they mostly play within conference.

For example, is Ohio State a good football team? What if they beat Penn State and Michigan? Probably, but all we really know is when they stepped out of their conference and played a good Big 12 team, they were easily defeated.

I like the idea you have, I'd tweak it some. Get rid of the bye weeks and allow the 2 highest non-P5 conference champs in. A year like this year, it'll see a SDSU and either USF or UCF. And the last 2 spots are filled with highest 2 non conference winners. This way the OSU/PSU or Bama/Georgia loser can still get a shot.

As for ND or BYU, they can sit on the sidelines until they join a conference.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
adkindo wrote:
why is this so hard....

- 6 Team Playoff

I like the idea you have, I'd tweak it some. Get rid of the bye weeks and allow the 2 highest non-P5 conference champs in. A year like this year, it'll see a SDSU and either USF or UCF. And the last 2 spots are filled with highest 2 non conference winners. This way the OSU/PSU or Bama/Georgia loser can still get a shot.

As for ND or BYU, they can sit on the sidelines until they join a conference.

think BYU would love to get in the Big12 or PAC12....and I have been completely over ND's bs for years....when WVU was in the Big East, they were always stealing bowl slots because they were part of our "bowl package", but refused to join conference in football. The days of them being special have been over for a while.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

BYU creates their own problem, if it wasn't the whole no games on Sunday thing, the Big XII would have offered them a season or two ago when it looked like they might implode. Because of that, they are dead to me. ND, there are countless reasons why I hate them, so eff them too.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Even I'm shocked(albeit pleasantly) by this score between Notre Dame and USC

At least one team from Indiana is going to win tonight

I rather believe this than some cosmic punishment for the Dodgers beating the Cubs the other day.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Clay Helton should be fired. What a disgraceful performance by USC tonight.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Clay Helton should be fired. What a disgraceful performance by USC tonight.

He should have never been held over in the first place. He had a group of guys who loved him and that was fine, for that season. But those guys moved on and an obviously unprepared coach like him (I mean, have the Trojans looked prepared in ANY game this season?) should never be the long term head of an organization like this. We can debate Bradford all we want but Helton is the reason for such a crappy team.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Condom Brands got demolished as did Michigan.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Michigan should have never been ranked in the top #10....they simply never had the offensive talent on the roster. There are still some impostors in the top 10. Wisconsin, Miami, OK State....and maybe even Oklahoma themselves (have to wait and see how they play against TCU, OK State and WVU).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

How is Will Grier not getting national attention?

A graphic on ABC had the top 4 Heisman Candidates today...listed Barkley, Love, Rudolph and Mayfield. Personally, I think Grier is better than either Rudolph and Mayfield.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

USC national title hopes, thin as they were are out of the question. That being said I'm not impressed by Sam Darnold this year. Just realized they wouldn't be eligible for the Rose Bowl either considering it is part of the college football playoffs this year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Something is going on @ Iowa State.....not saying I think they will beat TCU this week....but do not think it would really shock me! Not only did they knock off Oklahoma a few weeks ago, but I find it just as impressive that they held Texas Tech to 13 points today.....that is no easy task for any defense.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Something is going on @ Iowa State.....not saying I think they will beat TCU this week....but do not think it would really shock me! Not only did they knock off Oklahoma a few weeks ago, but I find it just as impressive that they held Texas Tech to 13 points today.....that is no easy task for any defense.

There is, Matt Campbell is a hell of a good football coach. Team may not have the best athletes on the field, but will be the most sound fundamentally on the field. He's (if I had a choice) is who I want in Lincoln next season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Well, that pretty much put the fork in UCLA's season. Rosen injured and getting blown out by Washington. Headed for a minor bowl game at best.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Well, that pretty much put the fork in UCLA's season. Rosen injured and getting blown out by Washington. Headed for a minor bowl game at best.

I would think it is likely the end of the Mora era as well. At least after the season.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Nostradamus.

And anyone who thought Penn State was going to beat Ohio State today in the Horsehoe must be high.

That wasn't going to happen.

ND won YAY the best team in the state(not saying much but its true)

Josh Adams is amazing he may end up being ND's greatest RB of all time(and that's saying something with a team that had the Gipper) helps that we keep him well rested since he doesn't always play 4 Quarters.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I would think it is likely the end of the Mora era as well. At least after the season.

No, Dan Guerrero is an idiot. He'll extend Mora's contract. The real life Penguin spends his time holding wine tastings instead of doing his job. In fact, if he were the Lakers owner, he'd probably extend Byron Scott for a decade to a ludicrous contract. Or maybe hire Isiah Thomas.

If I'm Rosen, I'm regretting letting a neighbor persuade me into joining a dumpster fire. This team has an OL that gets pushed back 5 yards at the snap consistently, a WR crew that must be putting grease on their hands and stickum on their bodies to attach to DB's, a DL that allows a RB can drag all of them for 9 yards, a LB corp that plays like headless armless chickens, a RB crew that does Irish jigs behind the line of scrimmage, and a DB corps that think wrestling with WR's and getting PI calls is their job title. Jim Moron is who he is. Starts out with a bang (11-5 first year with NFC Championship, 9-5 first year at UCLA), then fizzles into mediocrity. Teams are incredibly undisciplined and poorly trained. No coordination what so ever. Enough conservatism to make a Republican blush. Refuses to fire Sal "Tripper" Alosi despite a team that is consistently weaker and slower than 2, 3-star teams. Jedd Fisch is the only guy on the team who knows what he's doing and he just got here. Foolishly promoted a career RB coach with no experience into OC. Tom Bradley's bend but don't break defense doesn't work when the team blows up like New Orleans levees. Mora managed to have two of the most talented QB's in UCLA recent history (not to mention all the talent Neuheisel stocked up but never got to use) but blows it. You saw how crappy the team was without Rosen. It's as if Mora said "Yay, I convinced my neighbor to stay local. Now I don't have to worry about the other 50 players on roster". If we even make a bowl game, that'd be a surprise.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Nostradamus.

watching them the last couple weeks....it was such a change to see Iowa State players actually having confidence and expecting to win. Since my team (WVU) joined the Big 12, I had never seen that from them before. They are in decent position to win the Big 12, or at least get to the Big 12 Championship game. I think it is one of the biggest stories in college football this year if that happens. The last time I recall Iowa State football mattering was when Seneca Wallace was QB....that had to be at least 15 years ago.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
adkindo wrote:

There is, Matt Campbell is a hell of a good football coach. Team may not have the best athletes on the field, but will be the most sound fundamentally on the field. He's (if I had a choice) is who I want in Lincoln next season.

I have a lot of close friends in Central Florida that 100% agree with you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 24 of 77
Jump to: