Sources: Bulls' Nikola Mirotic hospitalized after practice altercation with teammate Bobby Portis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject:

So apparently Mirotic bumrushed Portis twice, and the second time he charged him like he was going to do damage and fight him is when Portis hit him.

So no it wasn't a "cheap shot", as Mirotic apparently was charging him.

Amazing how quickly the media tried to run with 'cheap shot'. -_-
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
So apparently Mirotic bumrushed Portis twice, and the second time he charged him like he was going to do damage and fight him is when Portis hit him.

I heard he bumrushed him twice before i heard it become a cheap shot, so I wouldn't say they quickly rain with the cheap shot story. They say only one punch was thrown and it was by Portis, so not a good look for Portis. I believe he is getting an eight game suspension, which seems fair to low, not too bad.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
MJST wrote:

I heard he bumrushed him twice before i heard it become a cheap shot, so I wouldn't say they quickly rain with the cheap shot story. They say only one punch was thrown and it was by Portis, so not a good look for Portis. I believe he is getting an eight game suspension, which seems fair to low, not too bad.

I have seen like 5 different claims of what happened....some making Portis seem horrible, and others paint a picture of Mirotic's actions causing the response from Portis. So, I am not sure we have the legitimate story yet.

The 8 game suspension is weird in that he will return before Mirotic, and will likely be one of the main beneficiaries of Mirotic's absence in the rotation. I think Chicago should look to move him, especially since there have been rumors before this event that they may not even pick up his option.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
I mean, Kobe punched Samaki Walker and Jordan punched Steve Kerr

But really, who does that to a teammate, using a CHEAP shot to send them to the hospital.

It wasn't a hard cheap shot from what I recall reading, but Zach Randolph was supposed to have sucker punched former Laker draft pick Ruben Patterson while they were team mates in Portland.

I remember reading that after the punch, Randolph literally ran away. I know why. Ruben Patterson was a tough ass cat.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
I mean, Kobe punched Samaki Walker and Jordan punched Steve Kerr

But really, who does that to a teammate, using a CHEAP shot to send them to the hospital.

It wasn't a hard cheap shot from what I recall reading, but Zach Randolph was supposed to have sucker punched former Laker draft pick Ruben Patterson while they were team mates in Portland.

I remember reading that after the punch, Randolph literally ran away. I know why. Ruben Patterson was a tough ass cat.

It was out of fear Patterson would shoot him not about scared of fighting.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject:

I mean at least Kermit Washington p̶u̶n̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ crashed a fist-sized freight train into the face of a guy on the opposing team...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/10/22/bobby-portis-apologizes-for-punching-nikola-mirotic-in-the-face-video/

Quote:
Bobby Portis apologizes for punching Nikola Mirotic in the face (VIDEO)

As if this season wasn’t going to be hard enough for the Chicago Bulls, it started off on the wrong foot when Bobby Portis and Nikola Mirotic got into a fight during practice. That fight resulted in a facial fracture for Mirotic, putting one of Chicago’s best players out for multiple weeks.

Portis addressed the issue this week by apologizing to fans, the team, and Mirotic. However, Portis said that he has not heard from Mirotic since the fight, and that he did not respond when he tried to call his teammate.

Video of Portis’ apology is interesting if only because it’s a bit hard to discern the level of sincerity.

Via Twitter:

Chicago is 0-2 on the season. Portis is in the middle of serving an 8 game suspension for the incident.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/10/27/report-nikola-mirotics-camp-unhappy-with-bulls-response-to-bobby-portis-punch/

Quote:
Report: Nikola Mirotic’s camp unhappy with Bulls’ response to Bobby Portis’ punch

Nikola Mirotic‘s reported desire for the Bulls trade him or Bobby Portis, who hospitalized his teammate with a practice punch, might not be just about bitterness toward Portis.

Mirotic seemingly resents the response of the Bulls, who laid blame on both players and suspended Bobby Portis eight games.

K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune:

Between the organization making public its view that Mirotic acted as an aggressor leading up to Portis’ inexcusable act, plus the fact Portis is being allowed to practice during the suspension, there’s dissatisfaction within the Mirotic camp that his plight is being understood, sources said.

Keeping Portis from practice would only hurt the Bulls and him. It might placate Mirotic, who understandably could want Portis banished. But as long Mirotic still isn’t around as he recovers and Portis’ other teammates don’t have a problem with him, Portis should practice.

Were the Bulls correct to characterize Mirotic as an aggressor? No idea. Only those who saw the incident can say, and if other Bulls aren’t distraught about Portis practicing, that’s an indicator he’s not solely to blame.

But Mirotic’s perception matters, too. And if he’s unhappy with how Chicago is handling this, a complex situation becomes even more difficult to manage.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Deng for Mirotic?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Deng for Mirotic?

Yes Please! Lol
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

No.

Bulls don't need Mirotic anyway they have Markkenen

Mirotic aftet sll he was supposed to be, is being outplayed by a rookie at his position that is doing morw with it than he could. That says it all.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
No.

Mirotic aftet sll he was supposed to be, is being outplayed by a rookie at his position that is doing morw with it than he could. That says it all.

Pretty sure Mirotic has a team option next season, so Deng for Mirotic would be a godsend for us. But no way it happens, we aren't that lucky.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
MJST wrote:
No.

Pretty sure Mirotic has a team option next season, so Deng for Mirotic would be a godsend for us. But no way it happens, we aren't that lucky.

I think the 1+1 he signed with the player option gives him no trade protection this year. I think he would have to approve of any trade.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/10/30/bulls-nikola-mirotic-will-not-have-surgery-on-fractured-face/

Quote:
Bulls’ Nikola Mirotic will not have surgery on facial fractures

NBA players often have to deal with the question of having surgery or not, usually on a knee or ankle or back. While there are plenty of injuries where the course of treatment is clear cut, there are times when it’s a matter of personal or organizational preference.

Rarely does that choice extend to facial fractures, but it did for Nikola Mirotic — who suffered a facial fracture after a punch in practice from teammate Bobby Portis — and he decided not to have surgery, John Paxson told WBBM Newsradio’s George Ofman.

Follow
George Ofman @georgeofman
John Paxson tells @WBBMNewsradio Niko Mirotic will bypass surgery and do light workout at Advocate center tomorrow.
3:51 PM - Oct 30, 2017
1 1 Reply 9 9 Retweets 12 12 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Mirotic has cleared the NBA’s concussion protocol but is a long way from returning to the court.

Bobby Portis, who was given an eight-game suspension by the team, can return Nov. 8 against Toronto.

Mirotic has said he is open to a trade, and it would be a challenging locker room for the Bulls to have both Portis and Mirotic in it when the European returns down the line. The Bulls do not have an easy call here, as Vincent Goodwill laid out at NBC Sports Chicago.

Mirotic has a no-trade clause but is willing to waive it in order to leave Chicago — or more directly the specter of having to be in the same locker room as Portis. With the situation being so public, it’s hard to see the Bulls rushing to make a deal involving either player, even with the rise of rookie Lauri Markkanen lessening the necessity for both.

It’s harder to see a team offering an asset to the Bulls’ liking and opposing teams are doing background work on Portis to see what he’s like in the locker room, sources tell NBCSportsChicago.com.

Although the Bulls would like this to be wrapped up in a neat bow, there’s no smooth transition and any solution will be messy.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

Suns prob would take either Mirotic or Portis for Bledsoe
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/11/06/bobby-portis-8-game-suspension-up-tuesday-he-returns-to-rotation/

Quote:
Bobby Portis’ 8-game suspension up Tuesday, he returns to rotation

Nicola Mirotic is not yet back at practice, he is still recovering from facial fractures.

The man who gave him those fractures with a punch, Bobby Portis, has served his 8-game suspension from the team and will be back in the rotation on Tuesday against the Toronto Raptors.

Darnell Mayberry @DarnellMayberry
After his 8-game suspension, Bobby Portis will be the backup 4 Tuesday at Toronto, according to coach Fred Hoiberg. #Bulls #BullsNation
11:40 AM - Nov 6, 2017
Replies 2 2 Retweets 1 1 like
Vincent Goodwill ✔@vgoodwill
Fred Hoiberg says Bobby Portis has been the same type of player in practice that he's always been before the incident
11:39 AM - Nov 6, 2017
2 2 Replies 3 3 Retweets 8 8 likes
Mirotic and Portis have had scraps in practice before — they for years have been battling each other for the same minutes — but this was a big step over the line.

When Mirotic — the man expected preseason to be the Bulls’ leading scorer this season — is ready to return the Bulls’ front office will have some difficult decisions to make. Mirotic has offered to waive his no-trade clause to get out of the situation and the same locker room as Portis, and with the surprise fast start of rookie Lauri Markkanen the Bulls can afford to make that move. However, because of the very public situation, the Bulls are not going to see reasonable offers.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I forgot that he was traded to the Pelicans worked out for him...
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm happy Nicola got the upside of this. He was done wrong, Bulls did him wrong-er. Bulls tanked for the Lottery. Pels headed to the 2nd round and Threecola is a big part of it. Yay.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I'm happy Nicola got the upside of this. He was done wrong, Bulls did him wrong-er. Bulls tanked for the Lottery. Pels headed to the 2nd round and Threecola is a big part of it. Yay.

The beard was slowing him down
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
TDRock wrote:

The beard was slowing him down

Indeed. Messed up his aerodynamics...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: